1/35 Workshop diorama / display base

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking the part, certainly a good idea to put the weights on like that.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John.

Fingers crossed they haven't slipped out of alignment while I was adding the weight :anguished:

Reactions: JR
First Name
Andy
Coming along great Andy, I hope you are going to put up a railing on that walkway, heath and safety you know. ;)

Andy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Absolutely Andy. Well, I'm going to try anyway lol. It's all planned out nicely in my head how I'm going to shape it, fix it etc. but that means nothing :smiling5:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
An interesting project Andy. Off to a great start. The key to these dioramas is detailing. You can really go to the nth degree on how much detail you can add. Really looking forward to seeing how you get on. Keep up the great work

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve, I sometimes wonder if I should just stick with one kind of subject and really try to hone my skills, but enjoy flitting around trying different things too much.

I came across some WIP pictures of a similar build yesterday and know what you mean about the details! I'll never have the patience to go to that level but I'm enjoying fumbling around and learning new stuff, even if it ends up a bit "average" :smiling3:

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Cardboard, lolly sticks & coffee stirrers made a roof for the toilet area

x8IbmTf.jpg

rE4qlX6.jpg

I had a crack at some windows, with clear plastic laminated between the inner and outer walls, and various plastic strips. Thanks again to John Race for suggesting the sizes for those.

ZsrGIIV.jpg

1r5aLO2.jpg

Filled, textured and primed over the raw edges of the foamboard where the two walls meet.

l8qS5Ej.jpg

And a view of the interior all primed up in grey acrylic paint to seal the various surfaces.

U5X0HQq.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

That is looking really good indeed!

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Loving it Andy, that roof along with everything else is great, can't wait to see all the kit inside the shop.
They'll be no stopping you now, well done .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andrew, John & Neil.

It's not as tidy close up as I'd like but if I keep taking pictures from a distance we'll be alright :tongue-out2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good stuff on the build Andy,
I just got in due to the CNY celebrations of eating and gorging on mandarin oranges.

To cut vertical 90 degrees on foam I would raise the foam slightly higher off the table with spacers, extend the blade and rest it flat against a raised ruler such as your steel blocks and slice in a sawing motion. The blade has to be angular type and new like this...
20210214_155148.jpg
...so that it can easily slice into the foam board with the sharp tip. The space between the foam and table top lets the blade cut clean through and assist with the sawing motion. The steel block acts as a guide to keep the blade at 90 degrees.

No matter how small the apeture you cut you will need a ruler for straight cuts.

Anything new learned can be applied to enhance the enjoyment of the hobby.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Si, Andy & Richard.

I hope all of that fruit didn't lead to undesirable side effects :surprised:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy. Nice start I like the mortar look.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Lee.

I'm doing some of the painting today to try and break up the uniform look of the walls. Harder than I thought it would be!