1/350 U-Boot Typ VII C

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Wouts,
Interesting subject. Seems like your branching out from the armour even further with an underwater wotsit:smiling4:

Always good to try out new techniques when it comes to painting:thumb2:

First Name
Wouter
Hi Si, yeah, I think widening the subjects keeps it all interesting. ^^

Ralph, thanks chap.

Well, I after another three hours session of painting and blending shadows (of which 2 hours for the conning tower) I can show you the result.
It sure makes all the details pop out. The photo of the conning tower is quite blown up so the effect seems exaggerated but in reality it's a lot less.

Cheers

Last edited:
First Name
Wouter
Hi Steven, thanks, but not there just yet :P

Jim and Steve, thanks a lot chaps, glad you like it. Mind though, this is actually not a pinwash this time ^^. A pinwash is well diluted paint which flows around the details using capillary action. This time I really painted and blended the shadows with less diluted paint. mmm...there's no real name for that technique though...Let's call it 'Marijn Van Gilsing' :smiling2:

Did some more last couple of days but no photos yet. Just to keep things exciting!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
What do you mean no photos??? Come on Wouter, at my age keeping things exciting is way too much. Seriously though, I do love the conning tower finish as looks so realistic. A year???? Doesn't matter as this is top work Sir!!!

Prost
Allen

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I see you are at it again Wouts, superb skills and work!!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wouter,
Sorry mate I have missed this up till now just had a good catch up. Looking very nice.

First Name
Wouter
Allen, sorry, I will try to think about your health next time :P Thanks for the compliment :D

Hi Bob, thanks mate

Paul, no worries, a lot going on here on site so hard to miss out on things. Glad you're joining ^^

Meanwhile a photo. I painted the raised edges and upper surfaces of details in a lighter shade of the base color to show some highlights. Again things were kept rather subtle but the contrast changes quite a bit. On the photo the effect can be seen on the horizontal 'ribs' on the hull and on the anchor.
U-Boot Typ VII C (18).jpg
Next step: dirt and rust streaks.

Cheers

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its coming along really well Wouter. You must be very pleased with the look. It's a shame you wont see it when is under the sea :smiling3:

First Name
Wouter
Hi Steve, yup so far I'm quite happy with it. There's always room for improvement but overall I'm a happy bunny :D Thanks for the compliment, and no worries, only half of it will be under water :P

Scottie, thanks a lot chap ^^

Well now, weathering has come to a conclusion. I added some dirt and rust streaks. For the darker streaks I used the shading mix and for the rust streaks I added Humbrol Leather to the mix. And I used Raw Sienna oil paint as well. When that step was finished I glued the conning tower and the gun in place.
U-Boot Typ VII C (19).jpg
U-Boot Typ VII C (20).jpg
U-Boot Typ VII C (21).jpg
North Star Models Kriegsmarine figures are on their way from Ukraine.
Next few steps will be the most scary ones of the build: rigging and a seascape. Two things I never tried before. I'll should put my nappies on before I venture into the deep :smiling5:

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Wouter
That is really looking good. Very realistic. All the best with the rigging. Have you decided what you will use?
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Hi Ralph, thanks bud, and me neither :D

Evening Jim, thanks mate. Well, I have Ushi rigging line in the cupboard for some years now (bought it for Yamato) but never used it so far. I read good things about it. If it fails (which hopefully won't) there's always the stretched sprue method. We'll see :smiling2:.
Sadly it won't be for the next week though, I'm working morning shifts so that means tired afternoons :astonished:

Cheers

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Wouter, work upto the usual great standard!!

Bob

First Name
Robert
Just caught up on this and wow really great work going on here and love the detail with the weathering effects
I’m doing my revel type Viic/41 it a small U boat but at 1/144 it still has great detail
Hope mine gets to be as good as yours

Robert