1/4 Scale SE5a ( The Old Dutch )

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
70 inches that's almost six foot! That's almost as tall as I was!?!?!?!

I was talking to my friend at work and the "free" limit over here is 7kg take off weight. So either I will have to find a little/smaller aircraft, or join a local club. All aircraft over 7kg have to be registered and insured by law!!! Oh and you need a RC flight licence (?) as well. I might just stick to building one.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Ian, though this model is the size it is, it will be well under the 7Kilo limit, i will confirm the weight once built.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

I promised you some pics of the engine bay mountings so here they are.

This first pic shows the rails i fitted that support the paxalin mounting plate. This was a disaster, i screwed down the plate to the rails and the rails split.

View attachment 28297

Not good me thought. A little over engineering required here, i wont take the risk of it coming lose considering the engine torque and stress to the bearers. i decided to use a wider piece of timber a better adhesive than epoxy resin and drill through the timber to take bolts instead of screws, i also pushed dowels through the sides for extra support.

View attachment 28298View attachment 28299

As i said, i settled on Paxalin for the engine plate and not alli as i was going to use. The Paxalin is lighter and just as strong.

View attachment 28300

Having worked this material to accomodate the engine i added extra strips of Paxalin at all of the fixing points for even better strength.

View attachment 28301

Once the engine had been positioned it was discovered that the exhaust fell foul of the rear bulkhead and i had to be cut out to accept the silencer. The silencer now sits in the fuel tank compartment, not i deal but its not a problem as a short heat resisting tube will be fitted so that the exhaust exits the bottom of the fuse.

View attachment 28302View attachment 28303View attachment 28304View attachment 28305

Now its time to scale out the engine bay and fit the radiator.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 33923

View attachment 33924

View attachment 33925

View attachment 33926

View attachment 33927

View attachment 33928

View attachment 33929

View attachment 33930

View attachment 33931

Split rails.jpg

New peged rails.jpg

New peged rails (1).jpg

Raw Paxalin.jpg

Paxalin Engine plate.jpg

Engine mounted.jpg

Engine mounted (1).jpg

Engine mounted (2).jpg

Engine view.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is going to be a brilliant model and a fitting tribute. Very well done so far and I hope the rest of the build goes as well as the progress so far.

Excellent

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ian, though this model is the size it is, it will be well under the 7Kilo limit, i will confirm the weight once built.Cheers

Andy
:smiling:

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Time for a little more work on the engine bay.

I decided to beak into my massive stack of Litho Plate and lined out the engine bay.

View attachment 28573View attachment 28574View attachment 28575View attachment 28576View attachment 28577View attachment 28578

With that done its time to add a coat of Primer

View attachment 28579View attachment 28580View attachment 28581View attachment 28582View attachment 28583

That complete its time to add some fuel proof, I applied the first two coats of Silver Gloss Solarlac with a brush and have left to cure for 48hours. To get a perfect finish ( i hope ) the next coat will be applied with the airbrush.

View attachment 28584View attachment 28585View attachment 28586View attachment 28587

And here i decided to add some more scale detail to the Radiator Grille, i will add a few more little bits to this shortly.

View attachment 28588

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 34132

View attachment 34133

View attachment 34134

View attachment 34135

View attachment 34136

View attachment 34137

View attachment 34138

View attachment 34139

View attachment 34140

View attachment 34141

View attachment 34142

View attachment 34143

View attachment 34144

View attachment 34145

View attachment 34146

View attachment 34147

Litho Plate Engine BAy.jpg

Litho Plate Engine BAy (1).jpg

Litho Plate Engine BAy (2).jpg

Litho Plate Engine BAy (3).jpg

Litho Plate Engine BAy (4).jpg

Litho Plate Engine BAy (5).jpg

Primed Engine Bay.jpg

Primed Engine Bay (1).jpg

Primed Engine Bay (2).jpg

Primed Engine Bay (3).jpg

Primed Engine Bay 4.jpg

Silver Solarlac first coat.jpg

Silver Solarlac first coat (1).jpg

Silver Solarlac first coat (2).jpg

Silver Solarlac first coat (3).jpg

Rad Grille.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking better every day!

I cant recall if I have given you this link before but I think you might find it interesting. You have probably seen it but if not take a look at this

It might have some thing you can use. ;)

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Thanks ian, thats spot on, a great find, will definatly come in handy.

Cheers

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Andy the engine bay looks great, ca'nt wait to see the exhaust replumb .

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Trey, not quite sure how im going to do this as yet. As the exhaust wont be seen i may just cheat and use a piece of special silicon tube to just extend it through the botton grille. I may also make a manufold for two ports at the bottom. Stay tuned for the outcome lol.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
'Ang on Andy. Could you not run the exhaust out to the "real exhaust" Or would it cause to much back pressure in the engine?

The way I see it is the SE5 had that nice exhaust down the side of the fuselage coming out of the engine bay. Make the pipe out of ally tube and run the silicon hose from the motor own through that......

Juat an idea. (bonus, you will get exhaust staining where it should be too)

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Hi Ian, that would be an ideal situation but back pressure and engine overheating along with fuel spreading over the plane. Those nice looking exhausts will be constructed but the real exhaust will be routed out of the bottom where it cant be seen and spray less fuel along the fuse.

Cheers

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Absolutely amazing Andy! I don't know anything about this kind of aircraft but I'm thoroughly enjoying watching you build it.Keep up the good work,I know you will.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Steve. Its a good project, i will post some history soon on this aircraft. What i can tell you now is she was a WW1 Bi-Plane and was very effective.

Thanks again

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I see you've already found a use for that link I posted the other day!

Motor room looking fine now, I think the dash will be great when you are done doing your magic!

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Andy the detail on the selector and valve plumbing is great! I keep forgetting how large this bird is!