1/48 Tamiya SS-100 & 88mm Flak 37

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Jim , bit slow in posting so apologies.
Congratulations on the PE, that shield is so much better, neat way you used the kit one as well when gluing up.
Impressed with the photos as well .

First Name
Andrew
Sorry late to the show as usual! Looking very neat and tidy but not surprised because it's your work. I'm sure the few gremlins can be hidden under some mud. That's my trick anyway!

(Mike Butler has just sent me some progress photos of my figures that he's been 'cleaning up' before painting. I thought I'd gone over them several times to make them ready for paint but his eagle eyes have found bits all over!! - I'm feeling very inadequate. I guess it's why you can blow photos of his work up so much. He's a perfectionist.)
Andy

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Look whose later than you Andrew. :smiling6: Jim, did some catching up and the 88's looking good for an Italeri mold. Now looking to see how it measures up the the Tamiya tractor and later on some mud slinging.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for your continued support :thumb2:
Bench time has been curtailed somewhat as SWMBO decided we needed new sofas. Trailing around furniture stores is not fun and the end result is a traumatised credit card :crying:
I cut the posts off the kit seats - they fitted the 'D' shaped locating hole and so made things easier than using a piece of styrene rod. I also finished the locks on the boxes. Everything is now primed.
P1060212.JPG

P1060213.JPG

Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Gun, cruciform gun base and both carriages base coated. The grey has been lightened as I think the dark German Grey can look wrong on small scale models. The grey will also darken with washes and weathering.
P1060217.JPG

P1060218.JPG

P1060219.JPG

P1060220.JPG

P1060221.JPG

The two guys who ride on the carriages have been worked on. They are pretty good really. They are slightly different in pose and clothing. Sharpened up some of the detail by scraping with a blade. Main problems were the arm positions were really odd and also the right leg didn't fit into the carriage. I cut into the elbows and right knee and this allowed the pose to be improved. Then filled the cut areas.
P1060222.JPG

P1060223.JPG

Cut heels into the boots and adjusted the bottom to fit the PE seats.
P1060224.JPG

Thanks for your support. As always it is much appreciated.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim .
There looks to be some fiddly parts there, well done.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Jim,

Your work is magnificent like always and your primer coat as well. A question if I may. Are the cable reels moveable so you can fill them with cable?

If you are building this as a flak gun then the cable would tie the 88 in with the Kommandogerät for ranging of the incoming aircraft and altitude detonation settings for the rounds. If not, then ignore this Sir......

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Lovely work Jim, coming along really nicely.
Especially like the PE shield and seat....so much better then the Kit offering :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you are building this as a flak gun then the cable would tie the 88 in with the Kommandogerät for ranging of the incoming aircraft and altitude detonation settings for the rounds.
Also to set the pointers on the two big dials on the right side of the carriage, to tell the gun layers where to aim to (hopefully) hit the target aircraft. IIRC, the American manual I linked to explains the procedure, but doesn’t have full details on the Kommandogerät because they hadn’t figured it out completely yet :smiling3:

By the way, those figures look an awful lot like they’re scaled-down versions of some of the figures provided with Tamiya’s 1:35 scale Sd.Kfz. 9 18-ton halftrack.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific update Jim. It really is coming along well. Looks like your having fun with this one

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Jim,
Just read through your build, and it is a credit to you, well done.
Mike.

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Lovely work Jim! I think you’re spot-on regarding lightening the grey basecoat too. The other option could have been using the darker grey anyway, and dry-brushing a lighter shade over it, but the lighter starting coat probably gives you more options, and looks more “in-scale”.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just looked in on this one Jim, so sorry for being such a slug on commenting.
1/48 is a bit of an odd scale for military ground stuff.

Great work, nice and clean...am watching... carry on!

Sincerely Jim :thumb2: