1/72 AirfixF-18A Hornet

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Another method, that I’ve never tried, is dipping them: paint the bomb OD, dip the front into yellow paint to the rear of the ring, and when that’s dry, dip it in OD to complete the ring. I suspect you would get a lot of paint building up on the tip, though, and wiping that off will risk wiping through your nicely defined ring, I’d think.
Thanks Jakko, I promise to be very careful when wiping my ring. :tongue-out3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The underside has been sprayed XF-19. I'll leave the masking on the top until I've fixed the undercarriage though, to avoid any scratching.
Under the fuselage are three blade aerials (I think that's what they are) which have given me some grief - they were too thick at the base to fit into the slot for them. The first one I did was tricky to hold, as they're only about 2.5mm square, and slightly tapered in two direction, but I managed to sand it down until it fitted. With that one in place I felt a bit more confident, started sanding the next one, which of course pinged out of the tweezers into the clutter on top of my desk. Had a quick look fit it, but there's no chance of finding something that small, so I made another from about half of the number tag on one of the sprues. When the glue had dried I took the fuselage down to the garage to paint it, and noticed a slot for another aerial to fit in! I've thrown out all the sprues except one as I've used all the parts, or so I thought, but I must have missed this one. So, another number tag, and a few minutes carving and sanding, and the last of the trio is fitted.
P1150546.JPG
Now I need to sort out those pesky yellow stripes on the bombs!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Another problem! See the parts 87 and its corresponding un-numbered opposite:
P1150547.JPG
Quite important, the Sparrow missiles attach to them. Well, I distinctly remember cleaning them up, but I can't find them anywhere! I think I'd better empty the recycling bin tomorrow. :anguished:
If they're not in there the pilot will have to rely on his Sidewinders.
Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think I'd better empty the recycling bin tomorrow.
A couple of builds ago, I was working on a very small part. I dropped it, watched it bounce off the desk into a very full bin. Then it vanished into another dimension and was never seen again. I now empty the bin before every new build !

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
And they say my bench is bad ! :smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Peter.
And they say my bench is bad ! :smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:
Not just the bench John, the whole room!
Well I emptied the recycling wheelie bin this morning, and didn't find the parts I wanted. :disappointed2: I did find this though:
P1150548.JPG
One of the blade aerials. Shame I've already bodged scratched them. Guess I'll have to do the same for the Sparrow hardpoints. I can't find a good online picture of what I need to make, and judging from what I can find there are several design variations of the hardpoint so I won't be too wrong! What I need to make has to fit to the groove on the fuselage with a bit sticking out to fit to the recess between the fins on the missile:
P1150551.JPG
The tricky bit will be the upward (downward in the photo) angle of the front of the 'groove' in the air intake, as well as making two of the beggars that are near enough a mirror image of each other. I think I need to buy some plastic strip thick enough to file the shape I want out of.
Pete

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Easily missed then Pete, looked just like a tab. Good find though.

Think you should wear the crown for the untidy bench/ room from now on, I feel I've let the side down seeing those photos.:smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks John. I'll have to wear the crown - I've nowhere else to put it.
Pete

• Haha

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm going insane, or senile, or more likely both. Popped down to The Model Shop in Northampton to buy various bits of plastic sheet, rod, strip, etc. Just sitting down wrestling with how to make something to attach the Sparrows to, and it struck me that they fit very well onto what's already there... I'd already fitted those "missing" parts!
Panic over, but I think I need to lie down in a darkened room until relative sanity returns.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Seeing your success at locating missing things, can I hire you to investigate the case of my missing knife blade, that happened earlier tonight? I dropped my knife to the floor, saw it fall, and when I picked it up, the blade had fallen out. Despite crawling around on my hands and knees with a light, I’ve not found it yet … a No. 11 blade can’t just disappear, I would think, but it has.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Seeing your success at locating missing things, can I hire you to investigate the case of my missing knife blade, that happened earlier tonight? I dropped my knife to the floor, saw it fall, and when I picked it up, the blade had fallen out. Despite crawling around on my hands and knees with a light, I’ve not found it yet … a No. 11 blade can’t just disappear, I would think, but it has.
Jakko the carpet monster has got that lol
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
There are some decals that go on the u/c doors and on the centre line fuel tank as well as the missiles, so I've left the bay doors on and given the underside, tank and missiles a clear coat. I'm using Galeria gloss - their matt is so good the gloss has to be good too I hope.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Still a couple more to go on the underside, but I need a break!
Pete

NOT to long a break Pete I hope
chris

• Haha

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just kidding, here's a few more:

P1150566.JPGP1150567.JPGP1150568.JPG
Getting this close to it shows I should have been more patient with the sanding and filling, but it's too late now.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Photos like these always show more problems than you spot with the naked eye. I don’t usually think this is a problem, for exactly that reason :smiling3: