1/72 HMS Victory Cross Section

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim, early visit this morning to see what's happening.
Are you sure this is 1/72 ? The detail is stunning, and so much of it to take in. Agree with Tim about the head room, maybe they were a lot smaller then. Top rate woodwork with some perfect colours.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks again guys for your kind and encouraging posts :tongue-out3: :thumb2:
Not a lot done with the weather being good and the lock down gradually easing - the missus and I are out and about more especially to see our granddaughter.

Seamen's hammocks rolled up.
P1060738.JPG

Gunnery tools. The kit would have these made from wooden dowel but I used styrene. The sponge and ramrod end were textured with Mr S 500. A set for each gun.
P1060736.JPG

Ramrod, sponge and worm.
P1060737.JPG

These hang on hooks above each gun
P1060734.JPG

The mast was painted. They suggested sticking thin strips of black paper around the mast for the reinforcing bands. I know that would have given a thickness to the band but I decided to go for painted bands. Masking and touching up took a while. The black tended to seep under the tape along the wood grain - not much but enough to be annoying!
P1060735.JPG

Take care. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks again guys for your kind and encouraging posts :tongue-out3: :thumb2:
Not a lot done with the weather being good and the lock down gradually easing - the missus and I are out and about more especially to see our granddaughter.

Seamen's hammocks rolled up.
View attachment 428178

Gunnery tools. The kit would have these made from wooden dowel but I used styrene. The sponge and ramrod end were textured with Mr S 500. A set for each gun.
View attachment 428176

Ramrod, sponge and worm.
View attachment 428177

These hang on hooks above each gun
View attachment 428174

The mast was painted. They suggested sticking thin strips of black paper around the mast for the reinforcing bands. I know that would have given a thickness to the band but I decided to go for painted bands. Masking and touching up took a while. The black tended to seep under the tape along the wood grain - not much but enough to be annoying!
View attachment 428175

Take care. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
Jim
Nicely done Jim...perhaps the paper bands suggestion was part of the reason with the nature of wood grain.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Many thanks for all your kind support - great :thumb2:
Snail like progress for a variety of reasons but the lower gun deck is complete :smiling:
This was where I was before adding a lot of extra details.
P1060742.JPG

Each gun needed barrels and buckets. I assuming the barrels were powder and the bucket was water for swabbing out the gun barrel :thinking:
P1060740.JPG

Each gun had a rack for tools - a cloth swab, a ramrod and a worm.
P1060744.JPG

The mast is fitted and it's collar attached. Also the second elm tree pump extends through this deck.
P1060745.JPG

On one side I fitted the stowed seaman's bunks and the mess table and benches on the other side. Perhaps that set up would not exist in reality but it does show the various set ups on the lower gun deck.
P1060746.JPG

P1060747.JPG

P1060748.JPG

P1060749.JPG

I can now plank the middle gun deck deck.

Thanks again for your encouraging posts.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking better and better Jim. Lovely detail work is really giving life to this build. Fantastic!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim, lovely to see the decks forming one after another. Very interesting details...not the usual steering wheel and tracks.
What is the function of the worm anyway?

Cheers,
Richard

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Fantastic Jim, thats a cracking build, superb details and workmanship:thumb2::thumb2::smiling:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,
That is is really looking nice and shows just how cramped conditions were on board.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim, lovely to see the decks forming one after another. Very interesting details...not the usual steering wheel and tracks.

Cheers,
Richard
Whats wrong with tracks !

Sorry Jim.:smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Superb Jim, the committee will not have a problem awarding the Dogs.:nerd::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
The worm is a tool for extracting loaded powder bags/cartridges when loaded and no longer required; looks like a corkscrew and acts in the same manner.
Steve