1/72 HMS Victory Cross Section

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jim yes this is moddeling at its best an as Richard said be nice to see you build the whole ship an yes i know it would take yrs to build like my tiger an yours would be even harder build an we sometimes get a big model R/C sailing galleon on our norwich pond at do's like this sundays one if its there i'll take some close up pics to show here an its big about 5ft in leanght an the mast go up to about 6 to 7 ft high an it looks splendid in full sails but by gum its heavy though take 3 people to move it to the water
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Out of interest Chris, how do you control a six foot sailing ship by RC? I would think the only thing you can control is the rudder? I can’t imagine how the sails could be put up and down, though I suppose they could be rotated to get the angle to the wind correct?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Out of interest Chris, how do you control a six foot sailing ship by RC? I would think the only thing you can control is the rudder? I can’t imagine how the sails could be put up and down, though I suppose they could be rotated to get the angle to the wind correct?
HI Tim yes you are spot on mate the masts an sails stay up when in tranport as the (ole chappie he has passed on now ) but someone eles has bought it had a special trailer made up for it like a mini horse box an the ship rode on a trolley inside an when he got to the pond the back end came down onto the concreate pond edge an the trolley with the ship on was pulled out by about 3 people as it was so heavy an off the trolley in to the water an yes it had rudder controll also a small eletric motor an prop in case it came becalmed an yes the mast turned the sails into the wind by R/C SO YES Tim you are correct
WELL THOUGHT OUT for someone who is not a floaty guy LOL
ATB chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Always had an interest in ships Chris, mostly WW1 battle wagons, but also Napoleonic sailing ships. I’ve gamed both extensively in the past as well. One of my best memories from the school wargame club was refighting Jutland on the floor of the sports hall. I was a mere youngster, but two of the sixth formers were really into naval games and they spent a whole year building for it. All ships were scratch built from balsa using plans out of Janes fighting ships…..it looked fantastic to me at twelve :cool:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

That is coming on very, very nicely indeed. A top, top job. Simply outstanding.

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A work of art Jim, really impressive work on your part.The wooden decking colour on the top deck is great .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Tim - there is a top deck above this. I think the position of this cross section means that there are no 24 pounders visible on the middle gun deck. The cross section has been chosen to show the entrances rather than the guns.
Scottie - appreciate :thumb2:
Chris - I would love to see some photos of the RC galleon. Must be an amazing sight.
Andrew - thanks for your support.
John - thanks. With your background in wood you'll understand how this is built better than most. I must confess that at times the fact that it is lazer cut wood has been quite challenging.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim - there is a top deck above this. I think the position of this cross section means that there are no 24 pounders visible on the middle gun deck. The cross section has been chosen to show the entrances rather than the guns.
Chris - I would love to see some photos of the RC galleon. Must be an amazing sight.
John - thanks. With your background in wood you'll understand how this is built better than most. I must confess that at times the fact that it is lazer cut wood has been quite challenging.
Jim
Yep, see it now…..it’s a section right through the mainmast where the entryports are….took some looking at plans though LOL…..absolutely loving it!

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yep, see it now…..it’s a section right through the mainmast where the entryports are….took some looking at plans though LOL…..absolutely loving it!
Tim i may have some photos of that big galleon sailing on my old p/c but ive got hundreds of pics on it so i'll post it on here if i come across it as i was a few yrs ago as i havnt been up to sail on norwich pond now for about 3yrs so the pics of it are that old but will see on that as i use the old p/c as a picture book because on there ive got pic that are ireplaceable so when i look on it i may come accross it
chris

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim

Jim, I can quite see how the lazer cut would at times pose a problem in removing the "burn" mark.Plenty of sanding, but not too much so as to loose the shape.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is exactly it John. Coupled with the fact that it is plywood which on the finer parts can de-laminate.

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Cheers guys.
I know it's been a while but with some relaxing of the Covid restrictions the wife and I have been getting out and about. We spent a week in the Lake District as well as some shorter trips. We are really enjoying getting 'back to normal' and we are feeling safer and more confident again.
The next job was the four 12 pounders for this gun deck. They are fiddly to put together but the rigging is really testing and takes so much time. After assembling and painting the guns themselves the side rigging was fixed
IMG20210925123223.jpg

IMG20210925123249.jpg

Then the rear rigging and the breech rope.
IMG20210927110100.jpg

IMG20210927110119.jpg

Fitting the cannons is next and from fitting the 32 pounders earlier I know that the main difficulty it ensuring all the ropes are correctly positioned. Although the guns are only small there are almost 50 parts to each one!!

Thanks guys.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice Jim, wondering where this got to. Great to see it back and the heavies look good with the tie downs.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely stuff. I’ve been missing my fix of this build so I am glad you’re back on it….

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Glad you l to hear you've been able to get our and about..... But even more pressed to see to back at this.

ATB

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Jim, looks as if it was very fiddley, and enough parts per gun.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
As always I'm very grateful for all your support.
A rotten, rainy few days here in Shropshire so managed quite a bit of time on this. All the 12 pounders are fitted onto the upper gun deck. Very time consuming because the guns are quite delicate and all the ropes get tangled up. I have shown one of the guns run in and the others run out.
IMG20210929165608.jpg

IMG20210929165654.jpg

IMG20210929165733.jpg

IMG20210929165941.jpg

A few odds and sods to add to this deck and then the main deck to fit. The end is in sight :thumb2: :smiling:
Thanks again.
Jim