1/72 HMS Victory Cross Section

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks once again for so many encouraging posts. As Steve says the worm is used to clean out the barrel. Sometimes bits of wadding could be left in from a previous firing and the worm would be used to get them out. The way these huge cannons were fired is fascinating. The gun crews were not only very skilled and disciplined but also very strong and brave. I was reading about one particular battle and it said " the crew continued to fire at a steady rate despite losing three men to shrapnel wounds and the deck being slippery with blood and strewn with body parts" :rolling:

A reasonable amount of progress. The middle gun deck has a raised platform/section in the centre. The instructions would have you construct it in situ but that seemed fraught with problems. The whole thing is getting more and more fragile so cutting and sanding on the model is not a good idea.
This shows the area to be filled with the raised section.
P1060753.JPG

I made a paper template and marked notches for the cross supports on the two sides.
P1060750.JPG

The frame was built for the decking.
P1060751.JPG

.... and planked and stained.
P1060754.JPG

It could then be fitted without stressing the model.
P1060755.JPG

The next job in this stage was to the plank the bulwarks and line the gun ports. Not particularly difficult but a lot of test fitting to get a decent fit without having to sand much on the model. Again the instructions would have you make the planking and the gun port linings slightly oversized and sand back.
P1060756.JPG

P1060757.JPG

P1060758.JPG

The only heart stopping moment was when I knocked one of the run out gun barrels and it came loose. It was a real b****r to re-glue as the deck above was fixed.

Thanks again for all your support. This forum really is a nice place to be :smiling:
Jim

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Jim,
As a point of interest the black-painted bands actually served a very real purpose - the are termed 'wolds' or wolding. When large trees became unavailable or of insufficient size to make single 'pole' masts- then masts were constructed from sections (if you look at a schematic diagram of how a tree trunk is reduced to planks etc, reverse the process on a larger scale, then it will explain the process more clearly) then rounded off by the cooper/shipwrights. The wolding was originally of tarred rope (traditionally 13 turns I think) then later replaced by wrought iron; it's purpose was to hold the whole shebang together - the iron bands were painted black to reflect its origins as tarred ropes! Hope this is interesting and may explain why the manufacture suggested paper for thickness!
Steve

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey Jim!!
It`s been a while since i checked in on this one mate.... and wow you`ve certainly achieved some most EXCELLENT results on the painting side of things in particular:cool:,
You`re rendition of this is awesome,(There,i said it!!:tears-of-joy:).... i wonder about the result you would`ve got from a build of the ENTIRE ship!!:flushed:;)
....................As an aside,during my apprenticeship years in the early 80`s,my local Pub ,in Plymouth,was called "The Blue Monkey",(I think Steve Jones would remember it),it was on the approach road to the Tamar Bridge,however,when the new road was put through,and the pub was suddenly side lined,went to rack and ruin,then knocked down!............
......... reason i mention this is because of the name.Obviously Plymouth is a massively Naval City,Historically,and as i`m sure you know "The Blue Monkey" was the nickname given to the young boys who had the job of relaying the powder to the cannons on those Historic Galleons ...... the blue pigment of the powder stuck to the sweat of these heroic young boys,and they looked so manic with arms flaying around in their haste to get to their assigned cannon.......they resembled "Blue Monkeys"!
Sorry if you already knew that,but i just thought i`d share:hugging-face:
SUPERB build Sir,
Andy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
REALLY lovin your build Jim your workmanship is excellent
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Once again I'm indebted to you for your supportive comments. Steve and Andy - most interesting. I thought the bands were for strength but didn't know about the mast construction and I Googled The Blue Monkey. It is referred to as The notorious Blue Monkey - well it would be if it was your local Andy! :thinking:
1629121321947.png

Right on with the build . Good progress recently although the first couple of issues surfaced. The first job was to paint and fit the iron support brackets to the knees. Thick PE parts painted black.
P1060759.JPG

P1060760.JPG

These parts just didn't fit. The angle was wrong. After much thought I cut them and altered them to fit. Not particularly difficult but very fiddly and took time. Each iron was now three parts instead of one and had to be filed and dry fitted over and over to get a decent fit.
P1060767.JPG

On this deck the choice was mess tables and benches or sailors hammocks. I decided to fit the mess tables and then later in the build show the hammocks stored. Each table fits onto hooks on the bulwark and is supported by a rope at the other end.
P1060761.JPG

P1060762.JPG

P1060763.JPG

The collar around the mast.
P1060764.JPG

The beams above this deck were next. They needed 1mm blocks fitted to get a good fit. Not sure why as the fit has been spot on so far.
P1060765.JPG

Gratings and support columns fitted and "so endeth stage 25" :thumb2::smiling:

P1060766.JPG

P1060768.JPG

Thanks again guys.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word that is some modelling Jim, along with some skill in doing it as well. I like how you have over come the problems as well .Wonder how many of these kits have beaten the builder ?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just love it. I think this has become my favourite build on here…..

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Love the details and wood staining Jim. I think your next build should be the whole Victory, rigging and all. I would definitely follow that too.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The Blue Monkey pub became a den of iniquity over the years and was a hotspot for local drug dealers and users. It was in a lovely part of town with the local church behind. We went to several Harvest Festivals and Carol singing events in the church back in 90's. The pub closed in 2000 and was burnt down in 2006.

0_image.jpg0_swR_DCM_07012019_firepub08.jpg

Now no one has claimed resposibility and it still remains a mystery too who torched the place. So Mr Race, was this your first practice session with all things firey??:smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::cool:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The Blue Monkey pub became a den of iniquity over the years and was a hotspot for local drug dealers and users. It was in a lovely part of town with the local church behind. We went to several Harvest Festivals and Carol singing events in the church back in 90's. The pub closed in 2000 and was burnt down in 2006.

View attachment 431701View attachment 431702

Now no one has claimed resposibility and it still remains a mystery too who torched the place. So Mr Race, was this your first practice session with all things firey??:smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::cool:
No not me Gov, 2006 you say, no was in Broadmoor !:smiling3::nerd:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Your kind posts are most welcome. Thank you all.
Well a bit more progress although bench time has been harder to find as with the Covid rules being relaxed we have managed to get away for a few short breaks. It does seem a bit strange and to be honest, slightly unnerving, to be out and about after the restrictions of the recent past.
The decking of the upper gun deck is done. The support knees fitted and the gun ports and bulwarks painted. This deck has yellow ochre bulwarks, a nice change from the off white.
IMG20210902143442.jpg

IMG20210902143420.jpg

IMG20210902143459.jpg

The next job is to build up the carriages for the four 12 pounders which fit on this deck. Lots of laser cut parts to clean up and assemble.
IMG20210902143214.jpg

Thanks again.
Jim