1/72 "Onwards, Comrade!" Belorussia. 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Having completed the ISU-122 (see braille scale G.B.), I've made a start on it's victim.

It's an Airfix 1/72 steel wheeled Tiger tank. It's a basic kit, I'm not bothered about whether it's an accurate representation or not because it will be virtually destroyed. I had to add the two exhaust heat shields. These I made out of a drinking straw.

Now here's the thing, I didn't have the correct colour in Vallejo Model Colour. Then I remembered I have the Panzer colour range in Vallejo Model Air, which as we know is for A.B.'s.

So here is the result of applying Model Air with a brush! I'm pleased how using the 'wrong' paint has turned out.......

Next I'll apply the cammo.

View attachment 103366

View attachment 103367

Here is the rough layout. one thing I did notice is how big the ISU-122 is next to the Tiger, which is a big tank anyway......

The blue cards are where I propose to put the buildings.

View attachment 103368

Thanks for looking,

Ron

Belorussia 1944 001.jpg

Belorussia 1944 002.jpg

Belorussia 1944.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Aaron
This is just the sort of stuff I love!!!!

I don't know about the airfix tiger, could the turret hatches have been posed open or are they moulded closed?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
This is just the sort of stuff I love!!!!
I don't know about the airfix tiger, could the turret hatches have been posed open or are they moulded closed?
Thanks boys, good to have you along.....

Aaron, only the top turret hatches are separate moulding and I did chew over closed or open. I decided on shut, thinking that a direct hit had destroyed the interior and the unfortunate crew 'never knew what hit them'......

However, re- opening the hatches is still a possibility, we'll see.

First Name
Aaron
Cheers Ron, I am looking for a 72nd scale tiger that can be hatched open for some awesome figures I have. Looks like the airfix one is a candidate.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's not a bad cover for an AB paint mate

How did it compare to model colour ?

I don't like model colour I don't think it covers very well but if it goes on better I might give it a go and see what happens :smiling3:

Great little tiger mate :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've done the cammo on the tank, again using Vallejo Model Air to brush it on.

I read the tank crews were issued the green and brown paint, and more or less told to just get on with the cammo. I've reasoned that although some units would still have a spray gun, many would have had to rely on a brush to apply the paint - quickly.

This seems to make sense...It's 1944, and with the Russian sledge hammer fast approaching, the last thing on my mind would be a smart paint job. "After you with the spray gun please". I think not!

So the crew found a quiet corner and got to work..Not the prettiest, but who's to say that somewhere in Russia, a Tiger tank didn't have a similar brush finish?

It would indeed be a brave person to say there wasn't..... That's my excuse and I think I'm safe too!

Here is the Tiger ready for it's tracks and bits and bobs.......Then I'll smash it up!

View attachment 103386

Cheers,

Ron

Belorussia 1944 003.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
That's not a bad cover for an AB paint mate
How did it compare to model colour ?

I don't like model colour I don't think it covers very well but if it goes on better I might give it a go and see what happens :smiling3:

Great little tiger mate :smiling3:
Alan, I would have used model colour if I had the right colour for this tank, but I had no choice, so I gave 'Air' a go..

I'm surprised just how easily Model Air brushed on straight from the bottle. I used a 1/4" chisel head brush for the yellow coat .

It did take a few coats to get maximun coverage, but I'm never in a hurry and it does dry very quickly.

I would say buy one and give it a go. I think you will be happy with the result - I was.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Alan, I would have used model colour if I had the right colour for this tank, but I had no choice, so I gave 'Air' a go..
I'm surprised just how easily Model Air brushed on straight from the bottle. I used a 1/4" chisel head brush for the yellow coat .

It did take a few coats to get maximun coverage, but I'm never in a hurry and it does dry very quickly.

I would say buy one and give it a go. I think you will be happy with the result - I was.
Cheers Ron I'll pop into the LHS and get a bottle :smiling3:

Just a thought but I'm wondering if model air is just thinned down model colour if so its brush painter heaven :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I've done the cammo on the tank, again using Vallejo Model Air to brush it on.
I read the tank crews were issued the green and brown paint, and more or less told to just get on with the cammo. I've reasoned that although some units would still have a spray gun, many would have had to rely on a brush to apply the paint - quickly.

This seems to make sense...It's 1944, and with the Russian sledge hammer fast approaching, the last thing on my mind would be a smart paint job. "After you with the spray gun please". I think not!

So the crew found a quiet corner and got to work..Not the prettiest, but who's to say that somewhere in Russia, a Tiger tank didn't have a similar brush finish?

It would indeed be a brave person to say there wasn't..... That's my excuse and I think I'm safe too!

Here is the Tiger ready for it's tracks and bits and bobs.......Then I'll smash it up!

View attachment 113566

Cheers,

Ron
Ron sometimes they didn't even have a brush and a rag on a stick would suffice :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Cheers Ron I'll pop into the LHS and get a bottle :smiling3:
Just a thought but I'm wondering if model air is just thinned down model colour if so its brush painter heaven :D
I wouldn't be at all surprised. Certainly not some magic formula - one way or the other.

.....and once Model Colour is thinned, both go on the same with a brush, that's for sure.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised. Certainly not some magic formula - one way or the other.
.....and once Model Colour is thinned, both go on the same with a brush, that's for sure.
Thing is about model colour and tamiya are you have to use a special thinner as water doesn't work so that puts me off so being able to get it already thinned is a big plus :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
But where's the Zimmerit Ron? :eek:
Before the crew re-painted the cammo, they scraped off the Zimmerit after rumours ( unfounded) of a risk of fire after a hit.......

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

\ said:
I had to add the two exhaust heat shields. These I made out of a drinking straw.
Thanks for looking,

Ron
Ahh aftermarket Ron style ;) . Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looking great Ron , ive brushed model air too and found it to be lovely , a bit thin so probably needs two coats but flows and levels fantastically .