1/72 "Onwards, Comrade!" Belorussia. 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Derek, remember though that the four walls were done, so it just needed a roof, door and windows and of course painting, so not that much to do to finish it really.....

The only times I've used masking tape were the straight lines on a Bf 109 wings, and as you will know, the boot toppings on marine stuff.

That's the beauty of brush painting....Virtually no masking required.

Thanks for your interest and question.

Ron

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Ron,very nice work on the tin roof,and and good usage of house hold items, ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Monica, I'm well pleased how the tin roof turned out. I'm still pondering whether or not to do some damage to this building.......I don't really think it needs it. Any thoughts?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I think i dose need a little bit of damage as how its placed close to the barn,

it would have a little bit to the roof,wall and window,as you have done broken,window,

just lif the edge of the roof a little were the two join,as the end of the barn would stop

most of the blast,with mirror damage to to the house,but you could just leave as is is fine as well, :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I agree it would look a bit better with a bit of damage. To be honest, I realised it would need some after I'd finished it, I just been trying to avoid doing the work, but I suppose I'll have to now you have suggested it! ;)

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh no Ron what have i done, :oops:,

add a few more hrs i feel,bad,just lift the tin a little that will cover it,:rolleyes:

W

wanna_be_aviator

Another masterpiece in the making. I'll be following this one.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
oh no Ron what have i done, :oops:,
add a few more hrs i feel,bad,just lift the tin a little that will cover it,:rolleyes:
Now don't you go worrying lady, the damage will be done. I knew it would need something on that corner of the structure, but was just being lazy, thinking I might get away with it!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Amazing scratch building again I see Ron :smiling3: , where do you get that stuff you use for buildings mate , I'm still using balsa and polystyrene

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Amazing scratch building again I see Ron :smiling3: , where do you get that stuff you use for buildings mate , I'm still using balsa and polystyrene
Surely Alan you've read all the rude, and sometimes physically impossible comments about me using the round 4mm polystyrene bases that pizzas sit on in the cardboard boxes they come in?

Also, for the timberwork I always use gern's coffee stirrers (or lolly sticks) I found the grain on balsa too 'heavy' whereas the grain on stirrers is tighter and not so apparent. A good wood grain finish can be applied to polystyrene too using a bit of sandpaper.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thats the same way i get Ron some times try to cut the work down,but someone with a keen eye will pick it up,:rolleyes:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
After staring at my farm building and following on from some excellent feedback from my mate Monica, I did what she suggested and "Lift the tin a little".....

Unfortunately, and in true dioramaristismicism, I got carried away with the damage, and what started out as a gentle roof lifting, turned into some quite major damage.

I've also darkened the barn thatching and the corrugated sheeting.

Here is the result so far.

View attachment 104372

View attachment 104373

Looking at this picture, I think the corner of the barn wall could do with a bit of treatment. It looks too straight and undamaged..... Any thoughts?

View attachment 104374

Now I've got me some buildings, I'll do some work on the base next

Cheers all,

Ron

Belorussia 1944 030.jpg

Belorussia 1944 031.jpg

Belorussia 1944 033.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh ta Ron your so kind, :D

that looks great and even you think a little much i real do like it,

matcher in very well,

and your right just take that sharp edge off it,as in a building that would

be a strong point with the walls meeting up,real real do like it :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the nice comments Scott.

Monica, I'm glad you agree with me about that corner, because I took the barn into the garage a short time ago and gave it what for! I started to chip away at the corner, but it still didn't look right, then I got carried away in true dio. building fashion.....I will post the result asap. Suffice to say the corner is no more!

Ron

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh lol , :smiling3: well we do get like that and with your stills grand master will look a treat, :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Monica, here it is!

I started to just take the sharp edge off the barn corner, but I still wasn't happy with it, so I removed most of the gable end and squashed the roof some more with the palm of my hand. It's more like the effect I'm after, and when the rubble is added it should look alright, we'll see...

View attachment 104416

Here it is besides the other building before they were stuck to the base.

View attachment 104417

Loads of rubble and general debris to add yet, but I think it looks better with a lot more damage to the corner.....What corner?!

View attachment 104418

I've done some more work on the base too. Here I've given the whole thing a soaking of diluted PVA

View attachment 104419

Then I slopped on some tile adhesive. I mean slopped because if you fiddle with it, you will loose the free contours of the ground because the adhesive will get too sloppy, so leave it alone once spread!

I then placed the buildings on a bit of an angle, into the mixture to seal around the base of them and added faint tank tracks to the road. The road itself has now become raised which helps to break up what would have been a flat and boring ground base.

View attachment 104420

Whilst this dries, I'll have a go at wrecking the Tiger Tank next.

I hope you like this stage and any comments and suggestions are alway welcome.

Cheers,

Ron

Belorussia 1944 039.jpg

Belorussia 1944 034.jpg

Belorussia 1944 035.jpg

Belorussia 1944 036.jpg

Belorussia 1944 038.jpg