1/72 Takom Russian Tractors. Special Delivery

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Coming along really well Andy. Once you add some fiters and washes to the camo it will all blend in well. Great stuff

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys.

Paul, I have a bad habit of taking my pictures at 8MP and zooming right in to show up the tiniest mistakes. Nothing looks great at that magnification lol. I should stick to viewing in real size :smiling5:

Steve, in the instructions MIG recommend a dark brown wash and a green filter for that scheme. I'm wary of overdoing it since it's supposed to be a brand new vehicle, but if I make something up in those kinds of colours and tread lightly, I'm hoping to get away with it.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
The van I drive around in at work is nearly new. Every week it is cleaned. The next day it is s**t high again in dirt and mud. A filter will be fine. Great stuff

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Winch cable looks much better. Black camo outlines are fine - they'll tone down even with light weathering. Wood grain is nicely done. Nice to see figures included. Difficult to do but add a sense of scale.
You're doing a great job - onwards and upwards :thumb2:
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys. The way things are going this is going to be a long one. I keep thinking of more and more stuff to add or modify :smiling5: Not a bad thing though I guess.

Had another productive day out in my wooden wonderland.

First job was to get a filter on the camo. A few drops of colour in some matt medium and a splash of thinner made a nicely tinted clear. It turned out a little stronger than I was aiming for, probably one coat too many, but I like how it looks and it seems to blend everything together well.

After this picture it got a coat of gloss ready for decals tomorrow.

O5dKqlF.jpg

Then I've been thinking of all different ways to make the wheels on the wreck look as if they steered. In the end the simplest solution won. I cut most of the locating pegs from the hubs, leaving just enough to locate the wheels centrally, then cut the mounting faces on the backs of the wheels at an angle.

RAEQgUT.jpg

Which meant I could now do this. A bit wonky right now as they are only held on by blu tack, but at least it shows I'll be able to pose them properly when the time comes. I might end up doing the same on the trailer rig.

PJ66eR1.jpg

RHfeYzM.jpg

Then I set about the bracing on the underside of the scratch built load bed. Nobody will ever see it but if a jobs worth doing etc. It doesn't match exactly but it's a fair representation I think, and the mounting points had to be in different places as the chassis for this truck is set up to have a 5th wheel coupling on it. Needs some tickling with filler but pretty much done.

82CaBwD.jpg

Nb509xn.jpg

Thanks for sticking with me!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Andy, that is really looking the Dog's ... and the wheel experiment looks like it paid off.
Cheers, Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks all.

Some day soon I'm going to have to make a start on the big scary base for it all. I'll put it off as long as possible!

D

Deleted member 7181

Ideas, suggestions, inspiration or mockery sought please.

I started throwing a very rough layout together, just so I could see if what's been in my head would actually work.

Trailer unit is parked on a bend in a dirt road, which I plan to have sloping upwards towards its front end. Wrecked unit missed the bend and careered into a muddy stream below. Farmer is pointing out to one of the crew where to attach the tow cable. Obviously more figures and general stuff to add but these are the basics.

91uCsiv.jpg

EUQWqVu.jpg

rCQvG69.jpg

Seems to work as a rough composition but since the trailer unit is so long the whole scene is much bigger than I'd anticipated, so I'm worried there's too much empty space, especially at the front.

Am I on a road to disaster or does this look like it could go somewhere interesting?

Any advice appreciated, even if it's harsh! :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andy.

Looking at it some more I may even snake the stream right the way across to break it up some more. I was going to keep it just to the corner where the truck had ditched since it's my first attempt at wet stuff, but I reckon it might help fill the space. Then some gardening on the near bank like you say.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just a thought w/1st cuppa. You don't need to use all the space on the square base. Especially if this is your first big attempt. My most interesting dio was on a base of irregular cut plywood. You already have great built in interest & difficulty w/5 levels of gardening. I would cut the front edge in a random wavy line around the front of the ditched truck & eliminate a lot of the unused lowest level reducing gardening effort & focusing the eye to the models. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks again Paul.

I've actually made a start on the real thing today (pictures later) but that front corner is still bothering me. I'll see how it looks as I progress but may end up following your advice and taking the jigsaw to it!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy, Paul and Andy's observations are spot on. Off with the corner. I don't think it's needed and could well detract the eye from the main focus - The vehicles.

Sometimes dios. get too complicated and make the viewer's peepers wander about the model too much and thus miss some detail or other. Try and strike a good balance.

It's your model and your imagination( Great fun 'innit!) You could always cut that bit off at a later stage if it still bugs you.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Ron, 3 of you can't be wrong :smiling5:

I'm working with it for now but like you guys have said, it's just a filler and might detract from main event, so it may get the chop.

Time to bore you with lots more pictures. First off I didn't want a third MAZ with a winch so improvised a little load platform with wonky tie down holes in the space where it should fit. I had made something much more fancy, with an angle iron frame and vertical bars, but it ended up looking like a babies cot so it got trashed!

mpCL9TT.jpg

Then I started chopping some polystyrene. Much mess!

dxuBMtg.jpg

Glued the cliff face together with carpet adhesive, sprayed from a distance so the solvents didn't eat the foam. Clamped it up for a firm hold

Rggb0WS.jpg

aFbNcmX.jpg

Melted the river bed in with a hot air gun. Outside with a respirator, nasty stuff :sick:

8Xktz1W.jpg

Then a first coat of filler. Gyproc Easi-Fill, left over from some recent plasterboarding work. Lower portion needs more but it's better to build this stuff up in layers.

UQrcDdY.jpg

Once that was almost dry I put some texture into it with scrunched up tin foil and a coarse wire kitchen scourer (don't tell Zoe). Added the road surface with some OO gauge coal a mate gave me, and tile grout. Wet with PVA so looks a bit funky.

G1FOMCn.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm with Paul here Scratchy!!! You definitely have the natural talent for this hobby. That last picture looks like what I got from the bakery this morning for breakfast. The white powder being sugar of course!!! Love where this is going Andy...……..

Prost
Allen

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Wonderful dio Andy. You really are a natural. Fantastic progress. Its going to be a corker.