1/72 Takom Russian Tractors. Special Delivery

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Got home from work and the first lot of filler still isn't quite dry on the thickest parts, where it still needs building up some more, so that was tonight's plans thwarted. Rock face is nice and hard though so at least I know the rest will dry eventually.

So instead I undercoated the last truck in Vallejo Rust. I'm going to try my luck with hairspray chipping for the first time and starting out with a camo scheme. What could possibly go wrong! :smiling5:

Bx6OaJl.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

So, that hairspray chipping lark is a black art. Looks so easy in the seventy million videos I've watched on the subject :smiling5:

My main issue is getting it fine enough to look in scale. My test pieces were more like 1/35 and looked fine, but 1/72 is a different matter, it just looks like big chunks of paint have flaked off. I played around with different amounts of HS, drying times, paint types etc. Some of it seems to have worked OK, some not so well.

Anyway, onto the pictures. Scratched load deck came out pretty well I think. I used Mr Color over the hairspray as I figured the lacquer paints would be harder to chip, giving the finer effect I was after

skQxOf6.jpg

Chassis was done the same way but was less successful. Bumper looks okay but less happy with the chassis. Even scratching at it and scrubbing with a toothbrush wouldn't chip the paint in some areas. Maybe there was more paint on those bits and it had just set too hard.

KJB9G8N.jpg

Z1kunbf.jpg

Then the rear load bed. This was overcoated in Vallejo and chipped off in (scale relative) big chunks as soon as I went near it. Might look better with some finer sponge chipping to blend it in, but not a pretty sight as it is.

pLRwrrK.jpg

I'm unlikely to use this effect on the main body now even though it's all undercoated in rust colour. I'll probably use sponge/brush chips over the top instead and save the hairspray for when I've had more practice.

To lift my spirits after that setback I painted up some rammle for the back of the farmers vehicle

wDA0erx.jpg

Then started blocking in the main colours on the scenery. Very stark of course but it's just a basic background to start from.

XwIqD5t.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Impressive stuff. Base looks to be working well.
As for the hairspray chipping I find it difficult to control and I get inconsistent results. The purpose made chipping fluids available work better. Having said that I have seen great results using hairspray.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've seen it done in 1/87 scale to good effect, so it can be done. I don't care to know how, so haven't tried it. Modern military finishes are so tough you seldom see chipping except where stuff bangs into it heavily & often, like your front bumper (which looks great BTW) and areas where stones/rocks are thrown into them hard. Wear-thru for sure, but chipping usually only w/damage. Areas like the bed would have more slide type wear than chipping also. The old tractor would likely have brush painted repairs to the finish or actual oxidation causing the finish to peel off the rust beneath due to age, so chipping methods could apply here for sure. Just my tea time ravings. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Paul, probably being too hard on myself as usual. Much of it will be disguised by weathering anyway I guess.

Thanks Jim, I'm definitely finding it inconsistent. Even different areas on the same part react differently. More practice or dollars needed, lol

Paul E, thanks again, your input always gives me something to think about. I'm looking at the two load beds as kind of field additions so probably not as hard wearing as the main body. Will make note of the scratching/sliding damage for sure. Not something I'd thought about but obvious now you mention it!

Thanks Si. I like to keep trying new things, got to be the best way to learn.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy.
Loving the base, looks great.I've used drywall adhesive / filler as well. It does take time to dry and needs warmth. I did notice that when painted it can become wet again, but does dry out.
Camo looks good, along with the woodgraining.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John.

I got a bit impatient with the filler as it still hadn't dried after 3 days. In the end I scraped most of it off, built up the slope with foam instead, and just used a very thin skim on top. Probably how I should have done it in the first place really!

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yes, prolly should have said something of a warning, as anything more than 1/8" at most takes foooorrrrreeeeeevvvvvvrrrrrrr to dry. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Lee.

I'm more accustomed to body filler / bondo Paul where thickness isn't an issue. Maybe I'll have to use that in the future :smiling5:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Reading your reply brought the smell back immediately. Can't believe we used to work that stuff w/o a mask. Plaster patch however can be used in thicker layers but is harder to work when dry. Kind of like the difference between bondo & Greenstuff. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Got some paint on the last one today. Back to the splattery edges I've had before with Vallejo, just can't seem to get the balance right. She's supposed to be a well worn old girl though so I can live with it.

Also got the engine in and posed the engine cover open. I just know I'm going to knock that flying but wanted to see how it looked.

qCVSmTt.jpg

And here are the pieces together. A bit of a mish mash but again, that's the idea. A well used vehicle that's been adapted over time. Whether it works or not is another thing but it's what I had in mind. Hopefully washes, oils and plenty of mud & dust thrown at it should tie the separate elements together a bit.

wjUao6s.jpg