1-87 Scale Luftwaffe Airfield Water Bowser By Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Awhile back Steve (Rivet) Jones PM'd me a shot of a strange looking vehicle he thought I might have a shot at reproducing in 1-87 scale. After hours of searching the web I discovered that the parent vehicle was a French Laffly. Nothing available that resembled this vehicle But.....in my search I came across another vehicle that was very similar to an early Mercedes truck. So without further discussion here is what I'm starting with.
P1011717.JPGThis is Mr. Jones original photoP1011716.JPG
This is what I will be attempting to recreate in 1-87 scale..........here goes. P1011681.JPGSorry about the blurry shot I just wanted to give you an idea of the vehicle I'm starting with.P1011688.JPGP1011689.JPGFrame has been filled floor board added, fuel tank added and front axle housing extended. More Later. Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful work my friend. Really looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. Good luck

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you Mr. Jones.....really having fun with this and I am quite confident that I will be able to turn out a reasonable facsimile. Stay tuned. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Scottie......I like the fact that it is a "unique" subject and like most of the stuff I do, it will be a "one off" example of the vehicles that were employed by the German Military during the war. Thanks again for dropping by. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice start Rick. Really old style of vehicle for WW2.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Right on that one Tim.......What is amazing is the fact that I only recently discovered a suitable candidate for this build.....a few months ago this would not have been possible. Thanks for dropping by Tim. :thumb2:
Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
O.K. with the wood cribbing out of the way Time to focus on the water tank and some details that have been nagging me.P1011694.JPG
This plastic slip case was made to house drill bits......it will now be cut down and spliced into the proper rectangular shape for the tank.P1011698.JPGP1011695.JPG
Pics are out of sequence but you get the idea. Dash and wheel in place along with tail pipe.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for that Jim......been having fun with it. Dinky little thing....only about 21/2 inches long. :thumb2: Rick H.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for that Jim......been having fun with it. Dinky little thing....only about 21/2 inches long. :thumb2: Rick H.
I don't know how you can even see it, at least in 1/35 I can get something in the vicinity of where it's spose to go.
Great scratch building as well.

Jim.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Been working to close tolerances all my professional life......couple that with a love of all things HO scale and that's me all over.:tongue-out3::tongue-out2::tongue-out:;) Crazy as a Loon. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Gerry, one photo builds can be a challenge as you have to be creative when it comes to the sides you can't see. Rick H.