1/87 Scale Red Ball Express Dio

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nicely done Paul......bit of weather after the sealer coat and she'll be ready for action! :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul,

The plane has turned out beautifully.

Very well done

Andrew

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Paul

In answer to your question about the dio scale, it didn't actually say but at the time I thought it was braille scale...1/72 or 1/76.

Below is my picture from a slightly different angle.

ATB.

Andrew

IMG20220619120936.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
While looking for Spanish Riders to go w/my Dragons Teeth I came across a couple resin GMC hard cabs, so started a couple Red Ball tractors. As can be seen they are of very thin material and hogging out the windows & windshields was exacting. The fender/side step assys. were also pretty busted up, but I think I can recover them. The ROCO 5th wheel/spare tire mount assy. had to be shortened as well.
100_3444.JPG
100_3445.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice conversions Paul........Is that a bottle of Floquil Depot Buff I spy on your "tidy" bench? Been a long time sinc I had any Diosol in the paint locker.....what do you use to thin it?

• Haha
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul.
Thanks Rick,
Water, Depot Buff is one of the few Polly S paints I have left. This paint was the best hairy stick paint I've ever used. I wept when they sold out to Testors.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brilliant Paul, I'm amassed how you and Rick manage to include such detail in these builds.:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Paul.
Thanks Rick,
Water, Depot Buff is one of the few Polly S paints I have left. This paint was the best hairy stick paint I've ever used. I wept when they sold out to Testors.
I hear ya Paul.......justice in the end, Testor's sold out to Rustoleum and then They went and "axed" the Model Masters line....Best enamel ever, I called their customer service and gave 'em HELL !! .......Stupid is as Stupid does!! Thanks for the tip on xylene I still have a good quantity of Floquil just no thinner. :thumb2:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick, it was a highly modified full length metal CCKW model I got in a grab bag lot from ebey with a metal short wheelbase GMC load bed & tilt. There is a better picture earlier in this thread. You'll need to section the chassis, bed & tilt to do a Z-1xx series ROCO version. I would hate to sacrifice a Z-5 or 6xx ROCO.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Roger that, ;) I ain't got the stones to destroy one of those beauties!

• Haha
Reactions: JR