1/87 Scale Red Ball Express Dio

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thank you gentlemen. I detailed up an M55 as well, but learned they were developed too late for this period. French & US used them & various other M45 mountings in Vietnam for base & convoy security.
It is a shame isn't as I think they look really cool for some reason! Doesn't mean you can't give us a sneaky peak!

ATB.

Andrew

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you gentlemen.
Yes Rick, it is a ROCO, one of the new mold type with a hard top cab. There is a more rare hardtop with a hole in the roof & MG mount. Very hard to find. I have two I've used as mess trucks in the 23A. Am told every fifth 2/12 tonner, (soft top, for easier shipping, from 43) had this feature.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Tanx Scottie, a ROCO 3/4 ton ambulance (I imagined a rollover repurposed) cut down & detailed to represent a field expedient AASPG.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Got it Paul, I think the close up must have distorted the lines just enough to make it look different to me. Didn't know that the MG roof was that rare, if I remember correctly that was available on ROCO #605 crane truck. I show two of those on my inventory list. I didn't realize that was a repurposed ambulance. thot it was a modified weapons carrier. You seem to have a considerable amount of "meat choppers"......are you pulling 'em off of halftracks, or do you have another source? Rick H.

Last edited:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Indeed Rick, that's where I got mine. Wish I had a couple more. Over $40 on evilbey
I think three M55s came w/2 1/2s, and 3 M45s were taken from M16s I got a real deal on. Put tilts on'em & detailed them up like HQ tracks. Lots of radios & CITB.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
OK, the plan was to have a P38 or P47 on overwatch for the Red Ball Dio. I have been reminded of why I stopped building wingy things. The Academy P47 I started the other day has proven a real challenge. It was designed to be built parked, so in-flight requires a pilot and the landing doors closed. Bought a pair of PJ pilots and proceeded to assemble. The doors & wings of course require modification & the fuselage has a bit of misalignment. Army stuff has smaller parts & less fine detail (panels & rivets). You also can cover problem areas w/paint/weathering. Aircraft show everything!!!! Here's hoping the paint will cover my errors/poor modeling as I'm going for a camo. finish.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hang in there Buddy......I seem to recall some really cool chopper dios that looked pretty convincing. :thumb2:
Rick H.;)

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick. Here's a progress pic. I know you're supposed to read the instructions carefully before beginning & I thought I had, but when it came time to attach the rocket launchers I discovered there were no holes in the wings to cement them to. Duh. I didn't like them anyway. So here is where I am, searching for a watch crystal large enough to use as a spinning prop., painting the pilot & test fitting tail wheel doors that don't fit very well while seam filler dries. And so it goes........
100_3053.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That is a change to see you with a wingy thing Paul, Rick seems to remember some but I can't .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Paul, in the past I used a compass cutter and cut a disc from clear styrene sheet.......works like a champ and simulates a spinning prop really well, just thinking out loud...... :thinking: ;) Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Winged beast is coming along Paul. Will look great flying above the rest.