1/87 Scale Red Ball Express Dio

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
Branching out :thumb2: Plane looks fine to me. I'll be most interested in seeing how you do a spinning prop.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good looking bird.......that 3350 was a first in the T-bolt if I remember correctly. Hell of a powerplant once they got the "bugs" worked out. :thumb2: Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yes Dzohn, but I posted some of my MM stuff on here soon after joining. See ....Some of My Previous Work.... in the Completed Dios section.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not bad at all..........I'm wondering if a neutral grey for the prop blades might tone it down a bit and still give you the illusion of movement you are after. My years on the flight line showed me that the faster the prop spins the more faint the colors become...even the bright colors on the blade tips almost disappear at full throttle.....just some mutterings 'bout the good old days:thumb2: Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some notes I made when thinking about this dio after Dzohn's comments on my first attempt. There were several express supply routes in place within France & Belgium during 1944 & 45. The initial Red Ball from St. Lo to Paris and eventually on to Hirson, the Red Lion Route from Boyeurs to Brussels, the White Ball Route from LeHavre to Paris & Reims, the Green Diamond Route from Cherbourg to Dol, the Little Red Ball from Carentan to Paris, and the ABC Route from Brussels to Antwerp, Liege, Charleroi,etc.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
Common sense says that there were lots of supply routes. The logistics of supplying a rapidly advancing army along a wide front are mind-blowing. We always hear of the Red Ball Express - maybe, as you say, because it was the first.
Jim

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Progress on LaFrance wrecker. Windshield, fuel tanks, pioneer set, dashboard, steering wheel, shifter, handbrake lever, front winch & bumper assy., rear winch & load bed details and added some paint to better see where more attention is needed.
100_3061.JPG
100_3062.JPG
100_3063.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Are you using a Corbitt chassis with modified cab for this build.....the fenders look a little foreign to me, are they a Roco item from another kit? BTW, yer track and trailer are on their way. Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Another pic w/superstructure fastened. Rick, thanks, Corbit chassis w/reshaped fuel tanks into tool boxes & cut up load bed, new style ROCO cab w/old style ROCO hood & grille reshaped, modified old style ROCO M54 fenders and a couple new style ROCO M35 front bumpers welded up for a push/pull assy.
100_3064.JPG

Last edited: