1/87 Tiger Recovery in the Tyrol

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Ralph. Trying to make the foam look like concrete, rock & dirt will be the big challenge. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
We have every faith in you Paul.
This will be another stunning Dio, it has every thing and more to make it so .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful work Paul. Lots of figures to keep the viewer interested. Looking forward to seeing how the landscape turns out.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys. Another 30 sitting figs painted & in the stash. Trying to get a feel for what I'll need to finish up my WWII German units. Still trying to research maint/recovery units after 43. Can only find 42 kstns (pre fully tracked recovery vehicles). PaulE

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Finally found a TO&E for the work company that includes Bergepanthers, but it doesn't give crew details, just totals for each vehicle & weapons type, Officers, officials, NCOs & EM. I guess I'll wing it w/7 guys in the FAMOs & 6 in the Bergepanther. The co. includes 8 FAMOs & 2 Bergepanthers, so I'm OK on that score. Here's some pics where I'm trying out some base colors.
The concrete is too dark & ungray, but a little help on the rock & dirt would be welcome.
These are just base colors, but I'd like to get them right before adding dirt, final coat of concrete (taping compound) & greenstuff. PaulE

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice Paul. Do you have enough room for this base ??

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Steve. Yes, a shelf in the man-cave annex (formally mom-cave) is being prepared. Hate the dirt color, looks too green to me. Here's some pics w/dirt applied to massif. What do you guys think? I am color challenged outside of the Crayola eight.
C&Cs encouraged. PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Paul .
The rock colour looks better, the stone looks grey / blue on my screen , but depends on what stone type your going for.
Other than that is coming on well .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm thinking it will all tone down once you get a couple of washes on it. Looks like you are well on your way to another great rendering Paul. Cheers, Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

Looks a much more realistic colour from here with the washes added.

If you don't mind me saying, I do prefer the look of the "uphill" side, with the extra moss/lichen effects added. I'm guessing the more exposed side would be less susceptible to such growth in real life, but it definitely adds something extra on the sheltered side.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for commenting guys. I intend to add a very sparse sprinkling of flora on the semi-protected areas of the eroded rock side of the massif. Because it is such a large feature, I want to get it right before tackling the more pedestrian road & roadside areas. I hope to include a collection area for interior road drainage feeding through an under-road culvert to an exterior watershed. PaulE

Last edited:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some more carving. Added a second coat of spackle to the road. Determined a different positioning of vehicles. While adjusting length & tension on the block & tackle, I dropped it & now have a tangled mess. Words were spoken. I'll go back to playing w/dirt/rocks/paint till I cool down. Maybe some wine. Maybe go see grandkids and some wine.
C&Cs encouraged. PaulE

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 3

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not funny is it, been there , I , like Paul can just imagine the language.
The rest is looking good .