1-87 Zis 5 Tanker for Mr. T.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
While browsing through some of Simon T's past build threads I landed on his Zis 5 fuel truck project and it struck me that I had coincidentally pulled a couple of Zis 5s out of the stash for my next build. Upon further reflection I realized how sad it is to leave things in a state of incompletion.....so I'm going to build this truck in honor of Mr. T with lots of detail and scratchery in the process. I hope you will follow along and feel free to comment and/or critique as the case may be. Rick H.P1011436.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Allen, with Mr. T watching over this I can't put a foot wrong......if I do I hope he lets me know.
Hi Tim, Pewter.....yes, of course.....wait, I don't have any. It appears that Simon controlled the market on pewter so I'll have to make do with foil. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As Lee requested here is a lap shot of the Mr. T tanker so far......the remaining two pics are for us "normal" folk what ain't turned on by denim clad knees! :thinking: According to the photos on Simon's thread I was able to determine the scale diameter of the tank at roughly 1/2 inch or .500 as some would say. I punched out a couple of plugs from sheet styrene and capped the ends of the half inch tube with .030 and fabbed up a cross support from evergreen strip. Rick H.P1011444.JPGP1011445.JPGP1011446.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you get this blog up and running Rick. Simon would be having a great chuckle at the leg photo ;) . Nice to see you have made a start. Good luck with the rest of the build.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN i'll be following along as well with thoughts of SI i dint know him well but what i did see of him he was a modeller to try an try again
chris

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you Mr. Jones, I only hope I can be a credit to what Simon had got done on his tanker.
He did take some pretty good photos and fortunately for me, the build got far enough along that I won't have to try and second guess where he was going with it. More to follow.
Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Glad to have in Chris. Simon was indeed one to keep at it until he was satisfied that all was as it should be. Which means most of us were happy with it long before then. I belive his middle name was "meticulous". ;)
Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi everyone, a little more progress......managed to get the fill port and cap fabricated and installed also some PE for the running boards. I'll try and press on with this tomorrow......needs rear fenders and a host of other bits and bobs. Rick H.P1011447.JPGP1011449.JPGP1011450.JPG