28mm Austin K2 'Luke Warm in Cairo'

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
For those that missed it, I've taken on a challenge (of my own making!) to do 'Katy' from 'Ice Cold in Alex' as she appears in the movie
IE in Black and white. Or, lots of grey shades!

So, here's the basic resin of the 28mm Perry Miniatures K2, plus the special figure set to go with it. Take it all as a tribute to Sylvia Syms, who died last week
IMG_0918.JPGIMG_0919.JPG

As you can see, even in 28mm, the figures are pretty good likenesses. The Harry Andrews and Anthony Quayle especially

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
What a good idea. That's a nice set of figures. Amazing what's available at this scale. Have you a particular scene from the film in mind?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
What a good idea. That's a nice set of figures. Amazing what's available at this scale. Have you a particular scene from the film in mind?
I think I'm just going to do it like a publicity shot with everyone standing beside 'Katy'. That way I use all the figures, seeing as the second nurse character was mortally wounded by the time Quayle's character appeared.

The K2 kit itself comes with two stretcher cases, an attending nurse, plus a driver. They'll end up with another vehicle.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Brilliant ,often looked at the Perry stuff couldn't never make my mind up whether or not to take a punt ,they've got some really intresting Italian stuff. Looking forwards to this ,viva la small stuff. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking forward to this…….Perry stuff paints up well.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
As to how good some Perrys stuff is, 'here's some I made earlier' as they used to say
IMG_0920.JPGIMG_0921.JPGIMG_0922.JPG

Dingo Mk 1 (backdated from their 1A by removing some of the stowage boxes and modifying the engine cover) and Morris CS8 Radio van office, with added radio frame and wind break screens. Markings are from the Mike Starmer range and Warlord
Most of the rest of my Perrys stuff is or going to be Western Desert, including figures from their plastics, rather than the Warlord and similar 'chunky' stuff I'm using for BEF

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Meanwhile, back at the proper part of this thread. Here's 'Katy' put together, sans roof for ease of interior painting. Time for Halfords grey primer next.
Must get a base too...
IMG_0924.JPG

As this is really a painting/colour exercise, I'm not going to bother with the ventilator interiors

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I bought this Perry Miniatures "Katy" kit and the "Luke Warm in Cairo" figures two weeks ago so I will be paying particular interest to your build.

Dave

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Now, here's a lesson in 'go to your reference source and stay there otherwise you'll find our something extra to add
IMG_0927.JPG

Undercoated with Halfords Grey. Roof not attached yet so I can pain the interior.
And then...

So, I decided to watch some of the film for some reference to markings, placement of the crosses, etc. I noticed there's a really odd divisional patch just visible on the left mudguard front

And this lot
IMG_0933.JPG
A cable tied around the front, and two sand-tracks (rolled canvas reinforced with rods), and the reflector lights on the front
IMG_0934.JPG
A fire extinguisher. That's a 1/35th MP40 cut up
IMG_0935.JPG
Stretcher shelves fitted in the back
IMG_0936.JPG
Rearview mirrors on the roof

This was just supposed to be an exercise in colour. Or BW rather
I'm not going to add the liner of bullet holes (only visible inside!) from when the other nurse is shot
So, re-undercoated now.

From the film the Crosses may be canvas strips stuck onto the circle... Hmmm

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Chris, and coming along a lot faster than mine at the moment……
Are those air bubble holes on the castings or is it just shadows? Poor old Harry looks like he’s taken a bullet between the eyes…..and John is obviously playing Nelson between takes….

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hey Tim
Y'know, you can only see those little pit marks with the ridiculous resolution of my digicam! They're practically invisible with my painting magnifyer!

BTW Is the cab interior supposed to be white/ pale like the rear or is the back wall exterior colour? According to the 1/35th job. In the film there are those dark chip marks around the door so beloved of desert vehicle modellers (and very rarely visible on photos of reality. If I ever get another Katy I'll be doing a green BEF one. Or Pricess Elizabeth's one.
Or maybe scratchbuild a Humber ambulance...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hey Tim
Y'know, you can only see those little pit marks with the ridiculous resolution of my digicam! They're practically invisible with my painting magnifyer!

BTW Is the cab interior supposed to be white/ pale like the rear or is the back wall exterior colour? According to the 1/35th job. In the film there are those dark chip marks around the door so beloved of desert vehicle modellers (and very rarely visible on photos of reality. If I ever get another Katy I'll be doing a green BEF one. Or Pricess Elizabeth's one.
Or maybe scratchbuild a Humber ambulance...
Hi mate
The holes were emphasised by the light then…..didn’t want your best brush disappearing into them LOL…..
As to the interior, early ones were mid stone at the back and body coloured in the cab. Later ones were body coloured in the cab and white in the back.
DCE012AA-B125-4EA5-AA7B-4296AFAF591A.jpeg
Back difference shown well here, three later ones and and early at the end……
Got no shots that show the cab in colour on my IPad, but there are quite a few on the net.

Katy is an early version, by the way, so has the mid stone ambulance back.

cheers
Tim

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks Tim
So that's a darker than white grey then

Think I'm going to try one of the figures first.
Apart from a brief introductory shot, 'Sister Norton' the second nurse, may not have even been on location, spending most of the time unconscious or dying in the back of Katy, ie the studio set. So I might not include her in the planned group shot display...
Or make her the publicity girl taking the photo...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim
So that's a darker than white grey then

Think I'm going to try one of the figures first.
Apart from a brief introductory shot, 'Sister Norton' the second nurse, may not have even been on location, spending most of the time unconscious or dying in the back of Katy, ie the studio set. So I might not include her in the planned group shot display...
Or make her the publicity girl taking the photo...
It’s more of a buff colour to be honest Steve. I wouldn’t go with an off white or light grey if I were you.
Good example here….
FC8F684A-1E08-4586-A128-5712A71F8BC4.jpeg
It’s actually darker than the outside…….
Monochrome filter applied….
061B499F-F63E-489D-AA77-7A0C876D41E6.jpeg

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
That colour to monochrome is VERY useful. Muchly ta! The interior set, which must be very fiercely lit in the studio is very pale but not white.

I keep rewatching bits of the film for greyscaling, but I don't think there's a time the doors are fully open and turned back

And neither have I noticed tha 'X' support on the folding step in the film

As an aside, when they have their first encounter with the Afrika Corps, three 'German' tanks are visible, with squiggly camo and big crosses on the side. They're Centurions! There's a colour movie with Victor Mature called, I think, 'Tank Force', where what may be the same tanks appear. It was made a year after 'Alex' in Egypt, while 'Alex' was shot in Libya. Armour buffs note there's also a couple of Cromwells and an AEC MkIII armoured car appearing, just before, according to the credits, they were retired by the Queens Bays
The film is pretty bad otherwise, with the Centurions changing sides during the final battle
It's not in my war film collection!

For just a brief moment there I thought, 'should I do a Hollywood Hanomag Afrika Korps M3 halftrack?'
And then I got better

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hmm. Latest step

With the 'spare' Nurse Nolan figure I can experiment a bit
Clothes are fine, but the skin tone is way too pale. That and the camera blows up the figure ridiculously huge
IMG_1009.JPG
Also, for some reason, she's holding a syringe!?

Looking at the film again (and again) I'll be painting Katy overall in a fairly light tone, probably using the same colour for the inside. But the interior has to be smooth and shiny
Oh, and the bullet holes are visible on the outside, but they don't quite match the placement inside
No surprise there