28mm Austin K2 'Luke Warm in Cairo'

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Greyscale really isn’t that easy is it……I think she needs some deeper shading to give her more definition and volume……coming on nicely though.

As to Katy and the bullet holes, apparently there were about three of them, so the holes that don’t line up might be on an understudy…..and I’d still go slightly darker in the back…..desert sun is very bright, so the outside highlights will be very bright compared to the interior shadow. You’ll need that for it to read properly in greyscale.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, re-done 'flesh' tone on Nurse Nolan, slightly darker
IMG_1029.JPG
And taken from further away to get around my camera's ridiculously high definition. Kind of 'actual size'
Mills, Quayle and Andrews have a darker flesh tone. John Mills is distinctly darker than his clothes. And they're shiny with sweat
I've also discovered the only time Mills is as the figure is when he's digging the grave.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Is 28mm 1/48 scale? Always think its 1/72. BTW Katy's looking good Chris.

Cheers,
Wabble
28mm is about 1/56…..give or take a bit. 1/72 is small sized 25mm…….…
The trouble is that figures are supposedly measured to the eye line, but some sculptors measure to the top of the head,……..gamer figures are not consistently scaled, even across the same manufacturers ranges. Too much leeway is left to the sculptors interpretation.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Is 28mm 1/48 scale? Always think its 1/72. BTW Katy's looking good Chris.

Cheers,
Wabble
The scale thing came up in another thread a while back. I think that was me too

So, background and history, a quick primer, as it's always worth clarifying.
Airfix figures, plastic, nominally 1/72 / 1/76. Realistic propirtions and some 'chunky', like the Napoleonic French. 1/72 works out at about 20mm, metal figure wise
In the'seventies you get metal wargames figures appearing, called 25mm, basically an inch tall. You can get larger armies in the same table space with smaller scales, hence the appearance of 15mm (1/100 ISH) 10mm (1/144 ISH), 6mm and smaller like 1/300th. One company invented 1/285 for a slightly larger, more detailed ‘1/300'

And so, by the same reasoning, we get 28mm. 25mm mutated into that thanks to the appearance of the chunkier figures in the 'eighties from Guess Who and others. Then came the foot-to-eye thing, apparently so there was some kind of consistency in comparative sizes. Is a Napoleonic figure with a tall shako the same'height' as a WWW2 figure in a soup bowl?

Anyhoo, where does 1/56 come from. Well, 25mm used to be about 1/60th. So, we get this weird figure. Arbitrary? Kind of. It's ball park. This does mean you get inconsistencies. Look for my comparison of the Perrys Morris CS8 radio truck and the Warlord CS8 GS. About as different as 1/72 to 1/76, Airfix to Esci, while the A13 cruisees from Blizkrieg and Warlord are identical.
Cue They Might be Giants song 'Actual Size'
Many wargamers don't worry too much to comparative 'scales' so long as they've got the gear they want. Igot some British BEF BSA motorbikes which were '28mm' AND 1/48. Painted and sold because they looked too huge

Figure wise I've gone for 'chunky' for Europe and 'realistic proportion' (Perrys) Western desrt

So, I go for consistency in size by theatre

Thinking about it, '1/56' may have first appeared when Italeri started a plastic kit range for Warlord with a Firefly

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
And just to coda this, comparer and contrast
IMG_1030.JPG

Renault UE from warlord and a 3d print one, both nominally 28mm. The print version is 'scaled to the figures', you also get vice versaIMG_1031.JPG

A13 Cruisers, metal Warlord (ex-BEF Miniatures) and resin Blirtzkrieg, same 'scale' figures slightly 'oversize'

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The scale thing came up in another thread a while back. I think that was me too

So, background and history, a quick primer, as it's always worth clarifying.
Airfix figures, plastic, nominally 1/72 / 1/76. Realistic propirtions and some 'chunky', like the Napoleonic French. 1/72 works out at about 20mm, metal figure wise
In the'seventies you get metal wargames figures appearing, called 25mm, basically an inch tall. You can get larger armies in the same table space with smaller scales, hence the appearance of 15mm (1/100 ISH) 10mm (1/144 ISH), 6mm and smaller like 1/300th. One company invented 1/285 for a slightly larger, more detailed ‘1/300'

And so, by the same reasoning, we get 28mm. 25mm mutated into that thanks to the appearance of the chunkier figures in the 'eighties from Guess Who and others. Then came the foot-to-eye thing, apparently so there was some kind of consistency in comparative sizes. Is a Napoleonic figure with a tall shako the same'height' as a WWW2 figure in a soup bowl?

Anyhoo, where does 1/56 come from. Well, 25mm used to be about 1/60th. So, we get this weird figure. Arbitrary? Kind of. It's ball park. This does mean you get inconsistencies. Look for my comparison of the Perrys Morris CS8 radio truck and the Warlord CS8 GS. About as different as 1/72 to 1/76, Airfix to Esci, while the A13 cruisees from Blizkrieg and Warlord are identical.
Cue They Might be Giants song 'Actual Size'
Many wargamers don't worry too much to comparative 'scales' so long as they've got the gear they want. Igot some British BEF BSA motorbikes which were '28mm' AND 1/48. Painted and sold because they looked too huge

Figure wise I've gone for 'chunky' for Europe and 'realistic proportion' (Perrys) Western desrt

So, I go for consistency in size by theatre

Thinking about it, '1/56' may have first appeared when Italeri started a plastic kit range for Warlord with a Firefly
…..and you never mentioned the OO/HO dichotomy of the early Airfix figures at all…….

25mm metal gaming figures were available in the mid 1960s, from both Minifigs and Hinchcliff. Other manufacturers joined in towards the end of the seventies, but these were ”industry standard“ for years. The other figures used extensively by gamers were 30mm Spencer Smith (still available ) and flat tin figures sourced from Europe.

28mm figures were first termed “Heroic scaled“ 25mm, but as users and sculptors realised that more detail could be incorporated on the larger size they quickly took over as the standard size during the late 1980s and early nineties. I believe there are now 32mm sized figures around…..growing out of 28mm for the same reasons…..

Interesting you mentioned 15mm as well……they’ve grown to 18mm, and shrunk to 12mm…..

In essence, the gaming figure world is just not really suited to scale modelling. It’s designed around gaming and painting, not display :tongue-out3:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
What he said
HO/OO please no..! (Insert laughing emoji)
Oh yeah, 32mm is definitely a thing now, and often a 3D print option

Wait, if game stuff is 'non-scale' does that mean I can't come out to play here?
But, but, I DISPLAY mine

Srrusly tho', I paint and sell a fair bit of 15mm stuff on dreadbay, and recently got some that were, indeed, decidedly 10mm, but weren't mislabelled. Apparently

Oh yeah, and anyone remember Dragon's Monte Cassino Commonwealth Infantry, which had alternate headsto do six foot tall Ghurkhas?
'She's actual size but she seems much bigger to me...'

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Scale creep…..where would we be without it……
Won’t be long before some marketing genius brings out “true scale“ 25mm figures, because you can get more on the table…….bit like minifigs did with the original 15mm figures…..

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I think it's already happened in the 'one true scale/size' thing

But 'scale creep' is an interesting phenomenon, kind of in reverse with kits. There used to be any number of 1/50 kits, that are now marketed as 1/48. Yes, I'm looking at you Smer
Then we went from 1/32 to 1/35, thanks to Tamiya. And now there are any number of helo kits in 1/35, so it's easier to put figures with them while 1/32 is almost exclusively other aviation.

Y'know, I should really measure the Katy and find out what ACTUAL scale she is

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Okay, published length is 5.49m, but it doesn't say what point to point. The model is 95mm from front mudguard to back step, which works out to...
1/58 ish.
Close enough
Of course, I could measure the John Mills figure...

Moving on

Ooh, quick quiz. Which armed service was John Mills NOT in, on screen?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And now there are any number of helo kits in 1/35, so it's easier to put figures with them while 1/32 is almost exclusively other aviation.
And fixed-wing planes are starting to appear too, first liaison aircraft about 10, 15 years ago and now fighters as well. I think the chief reasons for doing helicopters in 1:35 were, like you say, because it’s easy to have figures the right size, and because helicopters are more an “army” thing so they appeal to military (AFVs and softskins) modellers — possibly even more than to aircraft modellers, many of whom probably like sleek planes more than non-sleek ones ;)

Ooh, quick quiz. Which armed service was John Mills NOT in, on screen?
The Peruvian Navy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well he was Shorty Blake in “In which we serve” so that’s the Navy out…..so we now have Army, RAF, and Navy covered…..doesn’t leave much…..

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well he was Shorty Blake in “In which we serve” so that’s the Navy out…..so we now have Army, RAF, and Navy covered…..doesn’t leave much…..
No. It doesn't. And it does count as one of the services, even though it's subordinate

Peruvian Navy indeed...

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Technically true, but not the one I'm thinking of
How many films are there about the FAA? 'Ships With Wings' is about it