54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Neil

Sorry I got behind on this, it is looking very good indeed.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil .
First you bring us lessons in surgery and now foil, and just when I'd recovered from the foil harness you come up with the piece de resitance the sword and the musket part.

Brilliant work. Well worthy of the Race Towers :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: of the week award.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
thank you kindly John, I shall treasure this award for ever!

"I would first like to thank my parents who, in a bygone age, left me alone as a child to glue my fingers together, leave Humbrol fingerprints on the furniture, to cut my fingers repeatedly with the orange Swan Morton craft knife, not to mention allowing me to inhale glue and paint fumes to my heart's content."

..............which probably explains my happy-go-lucky disposition as an old man..........;)

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Right then!
I’ve added buckles and straps to the valise, mess tin and rolled up cloak.
IMG_20200328_085611311.jpg
And I fitted the rest of the tack to the horse (except for the reins), which was nice and simple.

And then I made myself knuckle down to the creases in the right sleeve.
IMG_20200418_175140605_HDR.jpg

I realised I needed to depict the cuff lace, so I added that, and a sword knot around his wrist.

Strangely, the painter has shown it flying free, which may add a bit of movement to the picture but is surely nonsense in a battle situation?

sword knot.jpg

I was having issues with the left hand and the eventual position of the reins, so I decided to leave off the mane and reins until after assembly. I also discovered that the crotch pin I was using to keep everything in position would be very visible, so I trimmed that to the saddle and pinned the rider to the saddle blanket through the calves.

IMG_20200417_092355231.jpg

These were trimmed flush (and proved very difficult to replace later…..)

So now he really is ready for paint as far as I'm concerned(or I'll lose the will to live), and here are a couple of shots of the story so far.
IMG_20200418_173433644_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200418_173442971_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200418_175125848_HDR.jpg

Thanks again, one and all,for watching and commenting and for being my conscience- by which I mean pointing out nastinesses that I had (mostly)deliberately overlooked.....!
But as I say, that's IT now, I'm going for paint.
There will now be a (not so)short intermission, no doubt filled with much swearing ,tearing of hair, gnashing of teeth and throwing of toys out of prams.......
Or I might just make a Spitfire OOB for some light relief!
cheers
Neil

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
All the scratch work is wonderful Neil, looking forward to paint.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil while searching the net I came across these.

1587398074527.png

Now for those of us not blessed with your skill I wonder what your thoughts are, not saying I would even think about trying them, as I don't think I could do the clothing.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil while searching the net I came across these.

View attachment 381651

Now for those of us not blessed with your skill I wonder what your thoughts are, not saying I would even think about trying them, as I don't think I could do the clothing.

They look good John, why not give them a try?
The main thing to remember about adding clothing from any kind of putty is not to make it too thick.
Or if you don't want to sculpt on them you could use them as LAY figures for planning poses and relationships in a diorama, and then copying them using converted figures?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
They look good John, why not give them a try?
The main thing to remember about adding clothing from any kind of putty is not to make it too thick.
Or if you don't want to sculpt on them you could use them as LAY figures for planning poses and relationships in a diorama, and then copying them using converted figures?
In fact I like that idea so much I think I'll try it myself- can you post a link?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Oh and for what it's worth, I think his right arm is a bit too long and the wrist looks a bit odd.
But I ain't doing nothing about it!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil

This is building up very nicely. Great attention to the details and a very spirited vignette.

John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
In fact I like that idea so much I think I'll try it myself- can you post a link?
Yes certainly Neil ,it's on afvmodeler.com/product /135-resinsculpting -mannequins/
Can unfortunately do copy and paste from this tablet, hope this is ok .