54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Cracking work with all the belts etc Neil :thumb2:

Before you start throwing paint about do you think his right arm looks a little weedy and devoid of creases, and an elbow?
I was thinking that and thanks so much for drawing attention to it, Simon:tired:. Now I will have to deal with it :rolling:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing work Neil , simons right too , the arm is a bit undernourished when you look at it . A small detail I’m sure you’ll fix no probs, keep at it it’s looking superb , cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a catch up with this....fantastic work....can’t wait to see paint on him......
one thing though, when you used the piercing saw on the sword tang, couldn’t you have used a needle file Instead? The hand vice would hold it rigid enough for either method.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
More outstanding work Neil! Just one thing though, your carbine has lost its frizzen - the bit the flint strikes to create the spark.

See the images below. When primed and ready to fire the frizzen is vertical. When the trigger is pulled it is knocked forward by the flint to the 45° position thus exposing the priming powder to the spark, which in turn ignites the main charge. I'm sure this will prove no problem for a man of your talents!

Fired position with pan open.
137533.jpg

Firing sequence.
flintlock5892-192x640.jpg

Last edited:

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Neil,
Just caught up with your build, and all the plaudits are above and I will second them - excellent work.
Mike.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks for your interest, chaps!
Tim- yes I suppose I could have used a file.
Alex - you hawk-eyed devil,you! I looked through the spares box at some other carbines I have (from the olden days) and they are all deficient in the same way, so I will have to do something about it, I suppose.
Mike - thank you very much.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
And now, for the benefit of Mr Windy of Dorset........

Upon closer inspection,M'Lud, what even the Plaintiff didn't notice was that the flint is too short to strike the allegedly non-existent frizzen:

Please see Exhibit A , M'Lud
IMG_20200414_171944727.jpg

The offending flint was removed with the Defendant's trusty jewellers' saw and replaced with a flint-shaped sliver of carved microstrip.

Exhibit B
IMG_20200414_173227215.jpg

Exhibit C

IMG_20200414_173719595.jpg

Actually this one was sacrificed to the Carpet Monster so the Defendant had to make another one, M'Lud.
Only thereafter,M'Lud, could the Defendant fashion the (allegedly) missing frizzen and restore said carbine to its rightful state.

Exhibit D
IMG_20200414_181643851.jpg

That concludes the case for the Defence, M'Lud.

The Defense rests.

D

Deleted member 6559

M'Lud wonders how the hell the Defendant works these wonders at such a small scale?

Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
M'Lud wonders how the hell the Defendant works these wonders at such a small scale?

Actually ,M'Lud, so does the Defendant!
That's the beauty (and the penalty) of being on this forum. I'm quite capable of letting things like that go,but once somebody draws attention to it one takes on challenges one might not normally have done. And of course one gets inspired by what other people achieve.
I've definitely done that on this build, and surprised myself.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
the "plasticity" of the equipment give such a sense of movement.... WOW...i can't wait too see it painted..

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You foiled us again Neil with the deft foil work. :thumb2: The fowl weather cover is looking much better. The carbine looks like it could actually be fired...wish I had done that on mine. Look forward to the protein powered work out for the right arm.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
the "plasticity" of the equipment give such a sense of movement.... WOW...i can't wait too see it painted..
Thanks Greg, but the painting is my area of least confidence- it could so easily be ruined.
Fingers crossed, eh?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
You foiled us again Neil with the deft foil work. :thumb2: The fowl weather cover is looking much better. The carbine looks like it could actually be fired...wish I had done that on mine. Look forward to the protein powered work out for the right arm.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard.
I PROMISE I wasn't competing with you:nerd: