54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well this is a most unexpectedly quick update.
After all the protesting and belly-aching I spent a very therapeutic day painting and I'm so NOT horrified at the results that I'm posting a couple of WIP shots.

IMG_20200423_093111634_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200423_093043235_HDR.jpg

I really MUST be more disciplined next time and leave the belts off until later, though; they are so difficult to paint around.
The white needs at least a second coat and there are obvious areas that need touching up, but generally I am a happy bunny.
There's still plenty of c*ck-up potential in the face and the horse , so not out of the woods yet, but at least I am feeling positive about it!
And for those who care, I decided on blue for the stripe down his overalls. There seem to be as many variations as there are illustrations, so I chose the one I liked best.
thanks for looking in
Neil

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Neil,
Just had a catch up some really nice details added and the paint has made them pop.

D

Deleted member 6559

I'm not all surprised that you getting such a neat finish with the paint Neil - the work you have done on the figure is exemplary. Looking very good indeed.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
Just had a good catch up from the foil hat bit :tongue-out3: It is so far in advance of anything I could dream of doing I am truly in awe of your skills. You should be very proud of what you have achieved.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil
Just had a good catch up from the foil hat bit :tongue-out3: It is so far in advance of anything I could dream of doing I am truly in awe of your skills. You should be very proud of what you have achieved.
Jim
wow!
thank you Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ok here's some more ,Greg.

IMG_20200425_113644840_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200425_113707174_HDR.jpg

This has gone much better than I expected. The acoutrements are all done but but I won't bother you with pics of them until it's all put together. He just needs a coat of matt and then a retouch of the glossy areas, and the mud will have to wait until they are all finished.
Thanks all for watching
Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks very much ,Peter.
Maybe the practice is having some effect- I should probably paint more frequently.
It's just that it doesn't come as naturally to me as the 3 dimensional side of things.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Neil, love the colours, how do you get on with white, I seem to remember having to put on many coats to cover the plastic. Is it thin coats ?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Nice Neil, love the colours, how do you get on with white, I seem to remember having to put on many coats to cover the plastic. Is it thin coats ?
thanks John
The white was a nightmare actually. I used two coats here and I'm not really happy as I can never get rid of the brush strokes.
In fact I was thinking that next time I'm going to use Humbrol enamel,like in the olden days!
I struggled with the flesh as well. fortunately the photo doesn't show it but he has a few really bad warts!

• Wow
Reactions: JR