54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

D

Deleted member 6559

I've never attempted a grey/white horse Neil - it just looks too difficult. Sorry to hear about the stripping woes, but I'm sure you'll knock it back into shape.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks ,all, for your concern and sympathy:relieved:

Before all the mucking about with the grey horse happened I started to clean up the Historex bit and I found both copies I have were very badly out of register. Grrr.

I thought about how I would scratch one and I decided it would be terribly delicate, so I thought I would have a go at 3D printing one on our resin printer at work. It’s very fine so it might be a disaster, but the cost in resin would be minimal so I gave it a try.

I first made a digital model by measuring and copying the Historex one. I made it ten times larger then scaled it down, which helps with the resolution.
digital bit.jpg

I printed 2 just in case. With this kind of printer each layer takes a certain time no matter how much you are building, so two are literally the same price as one- and so would ten be if I wanted them. It took an hour and a half. The clear resin gives the best resolution in terms of layer height- 0.025mm

Phew! It worked
IMG_20200422_123452483_HDR.jpg
You have to clip them off the supports whilst it is 'green', and then they get a final cure in UV at 35 degrees for 15 mins.

Actually I got the scaling wrong so these were a bit too big, but no probs, I just re-scaled and printed them again.

IMG_20200428_195837389_HDR.jpg

All I have to do now is not break it when it comes to fitting the reins!

thanks again for looking in
Neil

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wow! Terrific 3D work. Look forward to seeing them on the horse.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks to Tim and Richard for their helpful painting links.

Today I had another go at the grey horse.

I was a little less heavy-handed with the primer this time. Instead of the usual Halfords rattle-can I used Mr Finishing Surfacer 1000 grade through the airbrush which gave a much better finish and didn’t clog the detail.

Then with the airbrush I gave a base coat of a very light grey, rather than white, followed by dark socks, muzzle and hind quarters using this photo as a rough guide.
IMG_20200502_092042736_HDR.jpg

I didn’t do any WIP shots as such, but I took these when I was reasonably happy in case I went too far later….

horse 1.jpg

horse 2.jpg

horse 3.jpg

I started doing the dots with a brush but they looked more like commas. Then I remembered from way back in the mists of time (possibly from Stan Catchpol or Sid Horton) something about using a cocktail stick , and bingo!

I diluted the paint quite a bit so some of it dissipated into the base layer.

Anyway, I stopped here and gave him a coat of Klear, just in case.

You may also notice that I left the tack off this time. It remains to be seen how well that goes back on. Fingers crossed!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Have another look at your reference picture Neil, the lower legs and muzzle are darker, tending to black. This will bring him to life.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Have another look at your reference picture Neil, the lower legs and muzzle are darker, tending to black. This will bring him to life.
I see, thanks Tim.
They are actually much darker in real life, it's just my lousy photo :flushed::tired:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Almost There!
I did end up tweaking the paint on the horse to increase the contrast as per Tim's comments, by over-spraying white and strengthening the dark grey,but only after I had fitted the tack. So that meant retouching all the bloody tack, which defeated the object of leaving it off until after painting! And I've just noticed a brown spot on his leg.....
Oh well.
I think it still needs a bit of attention to re-instate the white and grey spots, although they are more visible than the photo shows.
I fitted all the loose equipment to the trooper and finally pinned and glued him in place on the horse. There is one mistake I'm going to have to live with, which is that I couldn't fit the portmanteau close enough to the back of the saddle because of the coat tails DOH!

I was going to photograph them alone but I just HAD to see how they looked with the Cuirassier, so here are a couple of previews.
It's still a WIP,don't forget

Grey 1.jpg

Grey 2.jpg
Grey 3.jpg

And with the 'Flying Scotsman'....
Grey 4.jpg
just for Andy Belsey ;)

Thanks for looking
Neil

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Das is Goot Neil. :smiling2: Birds are flying with the Flying Scotsman and I can see why he needs his kilt fast :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
3D printing has worked well - a glimpse into the future. Love the horse. The whole set up is really looking superb.
jim

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Absolutely fantastic Neil! Love it. But I'll echo what Jon said, hurry up and finish the kilt! Poor Jock looks a wee bit chilly, not to mention in danger of landing himself in trouble with the Peelers for public nudity.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thank you VERY MUCH , gentlemen!
And thank you for your concern for the 'Flying Scotsman', but even though I am now feeling a lot better about this, I now have a Spitfire to build, so poor Jock is in danger of catching a chill around the Trossachs!
Hopefully it won't take me too long, what with being furloughed and all.....
Thanks for looking
Neil