A-10A Thunderbolt II - 1:48 Revell

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good Mike, but should you not have cut the cock pit tub free of the casting block before you painted it. I can imagine all kinds of nasty things happening once you start sawing away at the excess resin.

Ian M

J

James Q

Looking good but like Ian said that excess resin could cause a few problems.

D

Deisenaut

To be honest, i'm not sure what I need to cut off - my LBS have now told me end of next week for model and I was hoping to get it so that I could get a rough fit. Didn't think of problems with painting first - newbie mistake, first time with resin! Whats the best way to go about it? stanley knife, saw or wait for kit before proceeding? Im not even sure if the square block under the nose of the cockpit has to come off and havent been able to find any pics of completed Aires cockpits for the A-10 that haven't been installed - many thanks

V

Vajled

cockpit looks great... aires is aires :smiling3:

I agree with Ian and james... better work on something else untill model came...

Personaly I hate resins... :sad:

Roman

D

Deisenaut

I was getting on grand with the resin until Ian noticed this! - We'll see how we get on with it now! It is a bit brittle though, already broke a few bits that needed a repair!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Mike, sorry for having done you in like that. but better for you to sort it out now.

A (very) quick run down on resin.

1) the dust is very harmful if inhaled so wear a mask when sawing and sanding. A good idea is to have a damp cloth under where you are working. This will stop the dust blowing around.

2) Large thick cuts, typically the casting block under cock-pits and bang seats, are best cut with a fine toothed saw. A razor saw is the best as it gives a flat and clean cut.

3) smaller parts can often be cut free with a sharp knife. Cut carefully, better to make several gentle passes from both sides than try cutting it through in one go.

4) little tiny fine bits are a pain and need real care not to snap them. Its a sharp knife and a gentle touch.

As for where to cut, unfortunately many makers of resin are great at resin but total pants at doing instructions.

Once you have the actual kit you will be able to see what bits you will need to chop off and which bits you just need to sand/file away until it fits.

Some are great and fit perfect with the minimum of effort. Others need sanding until you can see through them, or the kit part need chopping and sanding.

If you can wait until you get the kit I would do just that. Lets hope the LHS don't let you down.

Ian M

J

James Q

The office is looking amazing, a harness would finish of that seat perfectly.

D

Deisenaut

thanks James - yeah I've still got the harnesses to do along with HUD, stick and a bit of detail on the seat... The Office... Have to learn the lingo myself!

D

Deisenaut

I tried not getting superglue on it when putting it on! That's about it - was going to search the internet tonight for ideas. I thought that once the glue clouded it up it was too late!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Once the super glue fumes has done its evil deal it is to late. Off with it and try another.

The clear plastic from a bit of packaging make for good flat clear parts.

Try mounting it with clear acrylic or pva glue.

If you have a product like Klear dip the film in that before glueing. Let it dry and then stick it on.

By doing that you can still use super glue as the Klear protects the transperant plastic from the fumes.

The 'Office' is indeen looking mighty fine.

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I just shudder and get goosebumps when i see an A-10, love them. Many moons ago (i was 17) i was working at a waste tyre disposal/recycling plant, we heard something "jet like" but couldn't see anything. Worked stopped for a while so we carried on looking, we had our backs to some trees looking up. The next thing we was laid on the floor, about ten of us needed the toilet. Two A-10's came tree top hight in the direction we wasn't looking, one slipped it's airstream with a big bang (toilet time) and went vertical. Andrex made some money that day and i loved them ever since.

Nice work there Mike, going to keep an eye on this build.

Have fun, John

D

Deisenaut

Ha ha - good story - one thing I miss living in Ireland is no airshows, have seen a few in the flesh and want to again soon! I will keep process posted - by the way I decided its gonna be a 184th fs / 18th fw flying razorbacks build

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Do you still have the bit you hacked off?

If not its a hard setting putty like milli-put and build it up again. What is that the nose wheel/gun-bay?

Ian M