A new suit of armour - LAV-25 style.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
So taking another break from the Scud build while waiting for paint and brass, I dug out a wreck that was given to me a few years ago by a modeller who bit off a bit more than his skills. The resin conversion had been sanded and looked like a ducks beak at one end and had been attacked with a hacksaw. As this was the first time I had really looked into the box it was clear that there was potential as all the brass was still attached to the frets but as for the rest it was a no go. I already had a LAV-25 in the stash and so comparisons were made, references checked and what started out as 'just a look' has now turned into a blog.
20210419_222104.jpg
So this is the lower hull of the Trumpeter offering, sorry it is a bit blurred (I blame Jack Daniels). The rear end opening will be removed as this is for the propellers for the wading option which are not on the version I am building.
20210419_222129.jpg
As you can see the whole hull has been sanded down ready for the armour plates and luckily the engine grills were salvaged from the resin hull.
And so the work begins.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So now it is time to start adding brass - those of you with a nervous disposition can look away at this point - it gets dirty.....

20210420_215206.jpg
Here you see the new armour plates added to the lower hull inner sides..... And the drive shaft opening at the rear has been removed.
20210420_215226.jpg
And this is the front left side. The marked out circles are where the 'washers and bolt heads' will be fitted.

20211020_103810.jpg
Progress has been made and here you can see the side armour is starting to be fitted along with some more brass. This work was completed to this stage over a week at the bench.

20211020_145751.jpg
Here you see the front panel has been marked out and is in place for a test fit before it is 'textured' with non slip material.

20211022_101754_HDR.jpg

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
The lower front plates are now attached...
20211020_103950.jpg
...and like the last image in the previous update are treated to the 'washer/bolt head' parts. which comprise of 10thou plasic discs punched out and .85mm bolt heads from the same material.
20211022_164527.jpg
And that is where I am today.... A few detail images below.
20211022_164659.jpg
20211022_164644.jpg
20211022_164651.jpg
Cheers, Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
You do like a challenge. That will teach you to go ferreting around in the bottom of your stash.
Wonderful work as always. I suppose the usual issues when trying to match up parts which were not intended to go together.
Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Mike.....joining Jim in the front row.

ATB.

Andrew

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike
You do like a challenge. That will teach you to go ferreting around in the bottom of your stash.
Wonderful work as always. I suppose the usual issues when trying to match up parts which were not intended to go together.
Jim
Hello Jim,
Actually there were some measurment discrepancies, but that was between the resin offering and the Trumpeter hull, but nothing that a bit of artists licence could not overcome, but then again I did not get the full resin hull to examine, only what was left after the mad sander had done his work.
Mike

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some great detail work on display here. Excellent silkpursery.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mike I'm going to sit near the door and keep an eye out for men wearing pointy shoes.
Expecting your usual high standard of build, if the brass is anything to go by we're in for a treat .

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Kevin, Paul(minitnkr),
Many thanks for your support.
Mike.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely recovery work Mike. Detail modelling is exemplary.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mike,
Outstanding mate. What did you use for the non slip coating?
Hello Scottie,
The new plating is 15 thou plasticard cut to shape, then over this I position discs where the 'washers/bolt head will go, fixed in place with a dab of masking fluid. The adhesive for the non slip is the mig 'anti slip fine paste (water soluble), dabbed on with a short bristle paint brush. Yhen comes the non slip - this is the sand material used in sand blasting, it is really fine so do not get any in your eyes. This is sprinkled onto the wet paste and the excess shaken off and put back in the pot ready for next time. I must admit I do not know where you can buy it from, I was out with the dogs one day many moons ago and they went into an old barn and there was a pallet of this stuff??? had a feel of it and thought it would come in usefull - it was used and not new, so it went through an old pair of tights to sift out any large bits. I will add that the tights were old and no one was wearing them at the time, and no! they were not mine, I like the bare hairy leg effect....
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mike I'm going to sit near the door and keep an eye out for men wearing pointy shoes.
Expecting your usual high standard of build, if the brass is anything to go by we're in for a treat .
John,
Welcome, you can sit nearer if you wish, if your seat moves then you have sat on the Gobbler!!! Pointy shoes was out late last night on patrol, the wind got under his jammies and blew the top over his head revealing the three sizes too big string vest, leading me to wonder if it is tied between his legs.....

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
First these are my tools apart from the etch bending jig that I use for the bigger items for bending and assembling brass....
20211028_160409.jpg
From left to right,
Two extra pairs of tweezers, they are on hand to replace fingers when trying to handle the smaller parts and for bending where smooth face pliers or the bending jig will not do.
The ruler is ther obviously for measuring, but also for holding down items.
The long scalpel is used for applying c/a where it can be loaded and then drawn down the length of the item that needs to be joined.
The peg half has a pin inserted in the end which has been sanded to a chisel shape to apply c/a in small doses.
The scalpel is for gently nudging the items or holding untill the c/a gets a grip.
Tweezers are the main handleing tool - so much easier than fingers...
And the last scalpel has has the blade broken away to form a smaller blade and is used for cutting the items away from the fret....
20211028_142528.jpg
Although not very clear to see there is a length of draughting tape (selotape would also do) laid out and the item to be assembled has been secured with a small piece of masking tape so that I can assemble the small items such as the wedge shaped brass you can see here and add the tie downs (not shown) without chasing the part all over the bench. Once assembly is complete the tape can be carefully removed and then the brass assembly can be removed from to draughting tape - BUT! it would be wise just to run very gently a single side blade under to release and areas still attached.
20211028_124508.jpg
Parts waiting to be attached to the model.
20211028_124451.jpg
The right side has had the extra armour plates added and it now waiting for the brass details to be added....
20211028_160309.jpg
The work as completed today, also the mesh over the engine grills has been added after first having the grills painted black to add shadow later.
20211028_155833.jpg
The exhaust is a different shape to the one in the kit, so I am using the original item which will be cut down in length and have the pewter sheet wrapped around it to complete the new size and shape.
And that is where I am today, waiting for the glue to cure - time for tea and cake.....
Cheers
Mike

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Yet again, great work Mike!!

ATB.

Andrew