A Problem on the Ponte Rivetto Contatore...Fusilli, Italy 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Christmas is done and I've high tailed it back into my den. So....

The Italian Army is now fighting alongside the Allies and is distinguishing itself in it's determination to remove the hated present occupiers from their country.

After their poor showing in Africa, the Italians are now fighting with a renewed bravery and vigour. The Partisans in particular are attacking everything and anybody opposed to the Anglo/American forces.

Sometimes not always to the advantage of their new allies........

The plan for this? All I have in my nut is a 1/72 bridge, armour and some buildings - 90% vague as usual! I just hope more ideas come into my turkey addled nut as I progress.

I've made a start and designed a bridge and made a paper template of same.....Two actually. The top one I was going to use, but since scrapped. As this morning, I came up with the idea of a bit of a ravine, rather than a bridge across a flat piece of watter!

The lower one is the one I'll try and build.

P1280922.JPG

Verso I'Ignoto Andiamo!

Saluti,
Farfalle Pasta

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
'Atsa nice bridge Mr. Ron..........will the "boys" be pitching in or will this be a singular effort? I'll sit next to Jimbo if he is alright with that and did I say I'm partial to Roman Arches.
Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

Very much looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging support boys.

Neil. I knew that before long, someone would suss out the Title. It took me a fair old time to come up with something daft, and of course totally fictitious!

Well interpreted/ translated. :thumb2:

Beenytoe Musoleeny

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
saluto 570.
Mi piace. unisciti a questa build per favore. Ossessionato dal completo allontanamento sociale.
453 Italian Section
Vatican City .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
saluto 570.
Mi piace. unisciti a questa build per favore. Ossessionato dal completo allontanamento sociale.
453 Italian Section
Vatican City .

My dear chap. Of course you can and yes, keep 2 metres away from the usherette, who will be over to you shortly to help you take your Cornetto out of it's wrapping!

570i

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent exchange chaps!

Update..
I've started the bridge first and will then build everything around that - I hope!

Made from foam board, I marked around the paper template and then cut the structure out with a Stanley knife (other makes of this vicious bit of kit are available) I find this easier to control for more precise cutting than a thin scalpel blade. I've also added diddy stone buttresses.

I did scribe the stonework with my scalpel. I had intended to have a stone face showing all over the bridge, but thought it would be too 'In yer face' so decided on what you see below - I think!

All a bit wobbly and wonky just yet.

P1280901.JPG

I've penciled in roughly where the river bank/rocks will be.
P1280902.JPG

...a bit of re-cycling for the road over the bridge.
P1280907.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Nice start. I'm afraid your very clever title went over my head until Neil flagged up it was well considered. Google translate and you've brought a smile to my face on this dull Monday morning.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My dear chap. Of course you can and yes, keep 2 metres away from the usherette, who will be over to you shortly to help you take your Cornetto out of it's wrapping!

570i
Grazie 570.
Il mio Cornetto si sta sciogliendo in questo calore della tua stanza. Starò più vicino alla porta
Il brige sembra buono.
(My Cornetto is melting in this warmth of your room. I'll stay closer to the door
The brige looks good.)

Senior Tutti frutti aka 453

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Ron, here are 2 pics of a real italian bridge not far from home. I took 'em after it went through a thorough cleansing from bushes and trees as a possible example in case of diorama. I hope they could be usueful/inspiring. If you need more, please ask for.
IMG_5919r.JPGIMG_5934r.JPG
It was already there during WW2 and received the interest from RAF and USAF, along with the railway bridge some 500 m. to the west. Both survived while the nearby railway station wasn't so lucky.
bombardamento stazione ferroviaria.JPGdanni stazione ferroviaria.JPG
The b/w pics are for discussion only.

John, please go on with Google translator... its lack of knowledge about the Italian (or Klingon :cool:) syntax is awsome! ;) it rivals mine in English... ;) .
Now I can fully appreciate the amusement I give to this respectable audience with my posts...:smiling3:, and I haven't used Google translator, yet! :nerd:.