A Problem on the Ponte Rivetto Contatore...Fusilli, Italy 1944

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice progress 570..........looks like "Weir" for it now! I know what that is 'coz I asked someone on the forum once and they told me it's a dam.......being a Bl**ding Yank and all I shouldn't be expected to know all these proper terms what are used in "fancy" English phraseology and such. ;) Any way you slice, it that dam bridge looks mighty fine and I'm looking forward to the rock work......hope the "boys" will be pitching in, I understand they are well versed in preparing a meal of roasted "Parrot Pie".:tongue-out3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ron, I love Cornetto and the bridge of course. Very amusing story on the Italian mob style of getting rid of Polly but now she haunts the crew. :smiling5:

Enjoying the build of the dam Weir. I hope John hasn't devoured all the Cornetto and left some for the rest of the rabble.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
:thinking:IM sure polly is a live an kicking some where so he or she can drive someone else up the wall:rolling::smiling2: you cant kill polly off that quick im sure an it will turn up to haunt you 570 an a very nice build of this bridge by the way :thumb2:
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
All good stuff that makes me smile and keeps me going!

Anyway, who said the feathered b*****d was dead! Not I....

Jim. Great minds and all that, I intend to 'Ornate' the bridge, so what better way than a couple stone shields or similar - With a parrot carved into one of them.

Andrew. I tried that foam stuff ages ago. Nasty and very dusty! In my surfing days, me and the surfer dudes used to make surfboard blanks out of it, then shape them and cover them with fibreglass matting, so I have first hand experience of the awful dust from the sanding.
Thank you for taking the time to post the interesting link, but I'll stick with my finger nail and whatever is lying around, usually filla or powdered adhesive mixed to a paste and randomly applied to the polystyrene.

Rick. You and I will call it a dam weir sluice retaining wall walkway thingy.
Parrot pie. There's a thought. Got to find out where the bird is first though.......

...and now back to everyday, mundane model making.

I've hacked at the banks with my fingernails. On one side of the bridge and for a bit of variation, I've half filled in a small arch.

On the right is also where I slotted the structure into the block of polystyrene. The left side arch I've left clear. I find diddy things like this kind'a liven a build up a bit.
P1280987.JPG

P1280990.JPG

I haven't gouged out the river bank all the way to the upstands, as I came up with the idea of paved areas looking down on the river where folks can sit and lick their ice creams and stuff.
P1280989.JPG

Now I'm getting a feel for the thing, I'm getting more ideas. This is what I love about my adopted way of dioramarerering. Start off with just a vague idea :upside: Then have fun waiting for things and ideas to develop. Mostly binned, some used!

Next, I'll tackle the weir/ dam, whatever we want to call it.

Thanks for the continued interest folks. Great fun and much appreciated.

Onwards into 2021 we go.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
(570 quote)
Anyway, who said the feathered b*****d was dead! Not I....

Jim. Great minds and all that, I intend to 'Ornate' the bridge, so what better way than a couple stone shields or similar - With a parrot carved into one of them.
SO 570 POLLY may be bricked up in one of the supporting arches then lol
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 admire your tenacity in applying all those separate pieces of polystyrene balls along the side of the river, very nice indeed .

To day a very bedraggled looking Polly turned up, swearing and stamping about .

Think you got rid of him, well think again !!!!!!!!!

1609537390076.png

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
570 admire your tenacity in applying all those separate pieces of polystyrene balls along the side of the river, very nice indeed .

To day a very bedraggled looking Polly turned up, swearing and stamping about .

Think you got rid of him, well think again !!!!!!!!!

View attachment 409648
WOW look at this 570 i said he'd come back to haunt you so keep lookin over your shoulder lol an John i thought polly was a green one or does he change colour like camaflarge so 570 cant see him ? oh i wont want to be in your shoues 570 in case polly 's out for revenge lol
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
WOW look at this 570 i said he'd come back to haunt you so keep lookin over your shoulder lol an John i thought polly was a green one or does he change colour like camaflarge so 570 cant see him ? oh i wont want to be in your shoues 570 in case polly 's out for revenge lol
chris
Chris.
Due to the fact that too much frivolity may incur the wrath of the mods there will be no more mention of the above bird. Needless to say they will be appearing in my photos from time to time.

Yours Giovan Battista Aleotti
Keeper of the Pxxxxxs

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH John thats what we all need a bit of frivolity on here to get rid of the blues an that B**d made me laugh so i cant see why the mods should jump in but just my opinion
chris

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Moving swiftly on..... ;)

Rather than a plain dam/weir wall, I've come up with a little walkway along the top of the thing. I know folks might think "Why a walkway when there is a bridge just a few feet down stream?"
The dam and walkway were built way before the bridge. The bridge was built only when access was required for the horse and cart....Good thinking, what!

As usual, I designed the dam on paper and then transferred the shape to foam board.

First, I've extended the height of the dam using polystyrene off cut blocks.

I've also added an island in mid stream. After I'd glued it down, I decided it was too high. I only wanted a gravel mound really, simply to break up the expanse of water below the bridge. So once dry, I cut it down....
P1290002.JPG

Here's the foam board walkway sections. I thought the overflow sluices would add a bit of interest, rather than have just solid walls of stone.
P1290010.JPG

Walkway glued in place. I've 'embossed' some well worn stone sets into the surface. Then glued it in place on top of the support blocks.
Once this has dried, I will add the sides....
You can also just make out the greatly reduced in height, 'Island' at the top of the picture. Far better now.
P1290011.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to 'ave a butcher's'

Cheers.
Ron
Cheers

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice idea Ron. It will be interesting to see how this develops. The bridge could be there to replace an earlier ford and the walkway be for foot traffic so they keep their feet dry......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
.....the bridge could be there to replace an earlier ford and the walkway be for foot traffic so they keep their feet dry......
That'll do me nicely Mr. Marlow. :thumb2:

Dam and walkway more or less completed.

Down stream...
P1290013.JPG

Upstream...
P1290020.JPG

A nudder downstream.
P1290019.JPG

The walkway.
I was going to make the sets more 'stand out', but decided after millions of boots and donkey's hooves having tramped over it, there would be plenty of wear to the surface.
I will perhaps save the pretty, but mind numbing stuff for the riverside terraces etc.
P1290021.JPG

Cheers.
Do Yo Seppi Archi Briji