A Problem on the Ponte Rivetto Contatore...Fusilli, Italy 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. I'm chuffed to have you along for the build.

A special thanks to Andrea for posting the images. And thanks too for the offer of more images :thumb2: Luckily, it looks like my imaginary bridge isn't far off the mark.

I decided the bridge was a bit 'top heavy', so this morning I cut a couple of strips of foam board and stuck them to the bottom row of stones above the arches. I think the small additions sort of balance it out a bit....

P1280904.JPG

P1280905.JPG

Cheers,
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ron, here are 2 pics of a real italian bridge not far from home. I took 'em after it went through a thorough cleansing from bushes and trees as a possible example in case of diorama. I hope they could be usueful/inspiring. If you need more, please ask for.
View attachment 408978View attachment 408979
It was already there during WW2 and received the interest from RAF and USAF, along with the railway bridge some 500 m. to the west. Both survived while the nearby railway station wasn't so lucky.
View attachment 408980View attachment 408981
The b/w pics are for discussion only.

John, please go on with Google translator... its lack of knowledge about the Italian (or Klingon :cool:) syntax is awsome! ;) it rivals mine in English... ;) .
Now I can fully appreciate the amusement I give to this respectable audience with my posts...:smiling3:, and I haven't used Google translator, yet! :nerd:.
Andrea there is nothing wrong with your English , if I didn't have Google I'd be completely lost :smiling3: I suppose its like reading the text from a U Tube video, half the time its completely wrong, yet funny .
Some excellent photos by the way .

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 .
Thats looking good, especially like the fact that you have been able to build both sides of the bridge so when photoed as in the last photo from that low angle the viewer get a brillent view of the underside showing all columns and the arches.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not to mention the very expensive piece of cardboard road bed...... :smiling3: All told this is a very nicely balanced piece of engineering with an eye to architectural appeal.......and all by yourself 570, with no help from the boys. :thumb2: Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ta boys!

Rick, I don't think I would get away with more ramblings during my builds. "Thank G** for that!" I hear people mutter..........We'll see.

Anyway, the arches are now filled in using thin cardboard and bent to fit. I also added another smaller set of buttresses of the main, centre arch.

P1280912.JPG

P1280913.JPG

P1280918.JPG
I have no doubt I'll 'Fiddle' with it at a later stage, but for now it's progressed enough to give the bridge a lick of paint.

Cheers all,
Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dear Sir.
Following your submission for planning a stone bridge over the Ponte Rivetto Contatore
subject to local planning regs we are pleased to announce full planning is allowed.
The only stipulation is the removal of a large " herd of Great Crested Netherwitts.

Yours Central planning of Tutie Fruitte area.

Giovan Battista Aleotti

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.

Dear Mr. Aleotti.
I am in receipt of your letter dated 29/12/2020 confirming planning permission for my bridge.
The herd of Great Crested Netherwitts have been safely netted and released 20km. upstream of the construction site.

Unfortunately, I have to report a fatality amongst the local wild life.
The foreman in charge of the bridge construction has reported to me that there has been a semi-tamed parrot wandering around the site chatting to, and annoying the crane operators.

One admitted to me that he had grabbed the bird, gagged it, wrapped it in duct tape and threw it in the crane bucket. He then lowered the thing into the shuttering for the concrete and when the concrete was poured, the unfortunate bird disappeared beneath the mixture.

He then recounted how after the pour was completed, an apparition emerged from the concrete. The parrot had risen to the surface, climbed out and perched itself on the dry shuttering. As it made a disgusting jesture at the crane driver, the weight of concrete caused the bird to topple off it's perch, hit the rocks below and end up in the river. It has not been found, so is presumed dead!

Right now we are trying to get the driver out of his crane cab. He is slobbering and screaming about a talking parrot seated by him in the cab - Winking at him....

Yours.
Briki Conkreeti

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Jim.

Dear Mr. Aleotti.
I am in receipt of your letter dated 29/12/2020 confirming planning permission for my bridge.
The herd of Great Crested Netherwitts have been safely netted and released 20km. upstream of the construction site.

The foreman in charge of the bridge construction has reported to me that there has been a semi-tamed parrot wandering around the site chatting to, and annoying the crane operators.

One admitted to me that he had grabbed the bird, gagged it, wrapped it in duct tape and threw it in the crane bucket. He then lowered the thing into the shuttering for the concrete and when the concrete was poured, the unfortunate bird disappeared beneath the mixture.

He then recounted how after the pour was completed, an apparition emerged from the concrete. The parrot had risen to the surface, climbed out and perched itself on the dry shuttering. As it made a disgusting jesture at the crane driver, the weight of concrete caused the bird to topple off it's perch, hit the rocks below and end up in the river. It has not been found, so is presumed dead!

Right now we are trying to get the driver out of his crane cab. He is slobbering and screaming about a talking parrot seated by him in the cab - Winking at him....

Yours.
Briki Conkreeti
Have you forgotten to take your meds today Ron????? ;) :smiling5:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oops, nearly missed your post, Andrew.

Matron has just 'administered' to 453 and is thumping along the ward as I type, so I'm n.........

Update.....

I've made a start on the river banks. I've had an idea, which I will adopt, to form a weir above the bridge (I don't know why either!)

I'm using blocks of polystyrene glued to form the bulk, and when set, I will shape them with my finger nails.

Looking upstream....The buildings will be either side of the river on those blocks of polystyrene. I think. :upside:
P1280964.JPG

P1280966.JPG

Downstream, over the weir.
P1280965.JPG

Next, the rocky bits.
Thanks for looking.

Bendito Scrachi Wytstuffi

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

Looking VERY good already.

What will you use to cover the styrene? Following recommendations by the Mel Bose aka the Terrain Tutor I've found cheap filler works very well as per HERE.

I'm already looking forward to this crossing the finish line.

All the best.

Andrew

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete

Was it a Norwegian Blue?

Monte Pithone

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good, I'm always in awe of somebody that can take random bits of polystyrene, foam board and throw them together like this.. I struggle to even make pre formed..(miniart) buildings look realistic..
Chris, worry not, apart from your building being extremely good , 570 aka Ron is an ex wood butcher, like me, so years of falling over half completed buildings have honed his skills. Also taking regular treatment for this has helped .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
With your background Bendito I’d expect you to shape the polystyrene with your teeth.....it will look splendid either way though...
Capitano Correlli (well, I do own a mandolin)......

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Flags are currently at half mast over Race Towers.
However Polly cousin is actually here, having flown in this morning to take residence.

2020_3.jpg

570 Be afraid, very afraid. :tongue-out3::upside:

Nice layout 570 , liking this a lot.