A Problem on the Ponte Rivetto Contatore...Fusilli, Italy 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, Neil and Gerry. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

I've found out the hard way.......

Gerry. At least you did find out where you went wrong, so a good result, me thinks. ;)

Cheers all,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Andy, posts crossed.
Thank you for your kind comments.
If my stuff (And others) helps you to take a leap of faith into the crazy, but fun world of dioramas, then what more can a bloke ask for?

Thanks again.
Ron

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Paul, Neil and Gerry. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Gerry. At least you did find out where you went wrong, so a good result, me thinks. ;)

Cheers all,
Ron
Hopefully Ron, as the next one will have a concrete rendered house in it - in 1/72! Just hope that I'm able to get it right, as I'm planning on it going on public display outside the house it relates to :tongue-out3: :upside: :surprised:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Lee. I'm chuffed you like the model.....

I've made a start on the 'Rubbling' by adding stuff to the streets and bridge.
I used pva as the sticky.

The bridge.
P1300080.JPG

P1300090.JPG

It narked me to have to cover up my street stonework, but as the actress said to the Bishop. "Don't worry, I know it's there, it will just take some time to spot it!"

P1300085.JPG

P1300089.JPG

'tuther side.
P1300087.JPG

P1300088.JPG

Now I've had the nerve to start really trashing my work, the wrecking juices are finally starting to flow!

Next I'll start to pile up some more rubble and where required, get to work on the stone walls. :crying:

Cheers and thanks for the encouraging posts chaps.

Ron

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ron...don't you do a Miley Cyrus on me with the wrecking ball after all that work. now step back and think scale, if you remove the bigger pieces and leave the finer dust you'll still see the designs and perhaps the dust in the grooves might even enhance it.

Cheers,
Richard

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Richard. Thanks for the post. Sorry, but I haven't a clue who Miley Cyrus is. :upside:

Thanks also for the well intended suggestions, but I don't know what you mean by "Thinking scale." To make it all look summat like right, I've reasoned I have to try and model all the blown up and collapsed stonework, timber, plaster, tiles etc. on the street. So I reckon most of the designs around the damaged structures will have to be sacrificed.

Just leaving a bit of finer dust on them, which are more or less under the damage around the shattered buildings, perhaps wouldn't look right.

I will keep your observations in my nut and see how things pan out, but thanks again for your valued input. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No worries there Ron. Do you know the Akey Breaky Heart song?...nevermind, it's a one hit wonder song by her father Billy Ray Cyrus.

Looking forward to more rubble and destruction. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the enlightenment Jim.
Now I know who it is. To be honest, if it wasn't for Richard's post, I would have struggled to tell which sex though!

Richard. Know it? I wrote it, and me and the wife Line Dance to it!

Thanks for your positive post too, Bob.

Ron

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Great work there - knowing it's under there if needed is a whole lot easier than trying to put it in when you suddenly realise that you've got a smooth bit when it should be textured!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input, boys. :thumb2:

I fully appreciate we all have different ways and interpretations when modelling damage to buildings, but sometimes folks seem somehow to be a bit wary when adding debris and rubble to their dio's. and start to fiddle and push stuff around. Because of this sometimes cautious approach, there is rarely enough of the stuff anyway and the groundwork looks a bit 'Naked Nude'!
Try and imagine you are the explosion. You don't take prisoners and are not fussy where stuff lands - or how! In other words....Don't faff about!
Also, make sure you model enough debris. That is why I try and make the thing first before blowing it up.....

Here's a second application of some rubble.
I slurried some diluted pva over the area, not being fussy where....
Then I literally sprinkled and threw (Yes, threw!) the rubble mixture over it. Then left it alone! Where it all fell, that is where it stayed.
P1300093.JPG

P1300094.JPG

P1300097.JPG

P1300095.JPG

Next I will damage the walkway walls and add more debris etc.
I hope you approve of the 'trashing' thus far and thanks for looking.....

Cheers,
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking very realistic. In your younger days were you one of those hooligans who enjoyed wrecking things? You know the type. Down to Brighton on your scooter for a good punch up and smashed up a pub and a couple of bus shelters on the way home. I ask because you clearly have an eye for mayhem :tongue-out3:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andrew and Jim.

Jim. I must confess to being a 'Mod'. in the '60's.
Simply because being a lowly Apprentice, I couldn't afford a scooter and hated motorbikes (still do, at least some of the born again idiots riding them!) My 'Battle Ground' was N. Wales at Rhyl Beach. I hitch hiked there with my sleeping bag over my shoulder. The Mods and Rockers there were quite content to just chase each other up and down the beach, goad the Police and aim a few half hearted kicks about and hurl ice cream (With a chocolate flake, of course) at either leather gear or combat jackets, whichever camp you were in. There was never the nasty violence that happened 'Dahn Sarf'

My abiding memory was trying to find somewhere reasonably safe to kip. About 50 of us Mods. ended up in Rhyl railway sidings sleeping in empty carriages.
Around 5 am we awoke to loud bangings. Not the Rockers on an early morning raid, but a railway worker.

"Get off the train, you scruffy, smelly ba****ds, this train is bound for Chester!"

Sure enough, after but a few minutes, we heard and felt a heavy 'Clunk' as the engine coupled up, then the carriages began to move. All hell broke loose as hung over lads hurled sleeping bags out onto the track.

Happy, carefree days when folks just relied on common sense and had fun. The likes of which I doubt we will ever return to. Now we have this P.C., Health and Safety, superior beings in yellow jackets with clipboards society we have to endure. I'm so glad I had the best times to grow up in. No question.

I feel much better for that!

Love and peace, man.

Bob Dylan

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Lousy weather, so I'm forced indoors....Such a shame!
Whilst I wait for the pva to dry properly before I continue with the next part of the destruction, I've turned to the first element of metal.

A 1/72 Tiger. It was part of that frozen river dio. I did a while back. Which has since sadly gone to the great diorama scrapyard in the sky.
P1240853 (2).JPG

I wasn't going to spend valuable beer tokens on a new kit, just to wreck it, so.....

Here is the same tank in the three colour camouflage ready for this diorama. I 'wet on wet' brushed painted it this afternoon using Vallejo 'Air' acrylics.

If this Tiger variant wasn't in Italy not to worry, eh?;) It'll do for me.

P1300144.JPG

Cheers all,
Ron

Attachments

• P1300144.JPG
    P1300144.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 1

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Gerry. I forget my way home sometimes!

With 1/72, apart from getting a fair bit of stuff into a smaller area than 1/35, I can get away with murder regarding detail.

Using 1/35, every last bit of detail on buildings, pavements, roads, walls etc. has to be modelled or the diorama doesn't look finished.

Anything for an easy life......

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I'm going to have to have a re-read (especially regarding the buildings), as the next one that I'll be doing is 1/72, though not having such a wrecked house in it, just going to have 'the moment of impact' as a planes wing hits the corner, and the bricks are bulging ready to fly (at least, that's what's in my mind at the moment - might all change when I start on it! :upside: )