AFV Club Sd.Kfz251/20 'UHU' (Owl) 1/35

F

Fenlander

Not much done today and no working pictures. The lamp stand and additional resin was incredibly fiddly to build up, not difficult just fiddly. Because of this I just worked through it and didn't keep stopping to take pictures.

Still a few bits to go on, a couple of electrical boxes of which there are many. I am looking at loads of pictures to see if I can get an idea of external wiring so that I can add some lead wire. If not, I may just add some using artistic licence. The operators infrared viewfinder has some clear parts in it which make it look odd but these will be all painted over. The resin seat is much plusher than the plastic part but all other resin is in addition to the kit parts, only the seat is a replacement. There are a couple of hand wheels to go on as well but for all intents and purposes, it is time to get back to finishing the vehicle.

So here it is, over a hundred parts in total, very fiddly but a very nice rendition of the real thing.

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-53.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-54.jpg

This is going to sound silly but when I looked at this next picture, it was the first time I had noticed the radiator detain on the generator.

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-55.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-56.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-57.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-58.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-59.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
The detail is cracking so many tiny parts look forward to seeing more

D

dubster72

That does look very nice Graham, a great result for all your hard work.

I can see it being tricky to paint & weather though

F

Fenlander

\ said:
That does look very nice Graham, a great result for all your hard work.
I can see it being tricky to paint & weather though
Naaaa, piece of cake Patrick. Yep, I will have a piece of cake and worry about the painting and weathering later......:confused:

For future reference Dragon's 251 single link tracks (I got 2 types, bagged and sprue attached) fit Tamiya's 251s perfectly.

It must have been a sight seeing the driver climb past that generator with the extended roof!

Tom

F

Fenlander

\ said:
For future reference Dragon's 251 single link tracks (I got 2 types, bagged and sprue attached) fit Tamiya's 251s perfectly.
It must have been a sight seeing the driver climb past that generator with the extended roof!

Tom
They would have to be a lot slimmer than me that's for sure:sad: Thanks for the info on the tracks Tom :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

Little bit more done.

I am now at that stage that is inevitable with open toped vehicles where you cannot just go ahead and paint much, it gets a bit slow and fiddly. Time to concentrating on the inside which needs to be just about complete before the top can go on, including washing and weathering.

The front and side fenders are on. A nice touch with this kit is to have the option of the side fender storage boxes open if you wish. I have this option on my later Tamiya kit but only because I have a PE set for it that offers this option.

And here we are at the moment

The lamp and generator are primed black then a bit of highlighting with grey

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-60.jpg

These are then sprayed Dunklegelb from the 1939-1944 German Standard Colours Set Ammo by Mig Ammo

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-61.jpg

The fenders attached as are the front body panel and rear panel. The back doors are held on with tape as I may decide to have them open to give a better view of the lamps operator station.

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-62.jpg

This is then primed with Stynylrez Red Brown primer. You can see how good this stuff is as the dark green plastic and creamy yellow resin have covered without any issues of colour change.

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-63.jpg

Then a self indulgent look at the generator and lamp in place. There is a lot of work to be done one these yet with filters and pin washing. I will be doing quite a bit of chipping on them too

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-64.jpg

And here with the top only loosely in place

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-65.jpg

The interior will be Dunklegelb and pretty scruffy. I was going to do the generator in Panzer grey but as this is post D-Day, it is probably unlikely that that would be so.

The exterior will be much as the box art but I will leave the lamp in Dunklegelb for contrast.

Slowly getting there :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
Just read and caught up on this Graham, this looks bloody good if I can be so bold. That light is really well detailed indeed. Your really making nice clean progress on this and the use of the primer looks really nice too

Regards

Robert

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Great work that dark base works a treat with the yellow really adds depth

D

Deleted member 4539

The lamp looks even better with paint on it. :smiling3:

You're doing a fine job elsewhere also.

F

Fenlander

Slowly plodding on but reaching a milestone of getting the interior completed

First up, sprayed all interior of vehicle with the Dunklegelb and gave it a filter of thinned down wash. Then painted the dashboard, seats etc and put on the personal weapons. This was then given a good chipping followed by a thin dusting of Dunklegelb to soften the effect.

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-66.jpg

The generator, nasty hot smelly thing would have got quite a bashing with people climbing over it so that got a heavier weathering.

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-67.jpg

Quite a bit of chipping on the lamp stand as it is quite a cramped space in the back and I can imagine it getting knocked quite a bit

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-68.jpg

Definitely went for the grungy look as not much will easily be visible once the top is on.

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-69.jpg

And here we are, the top has been painted inside and is ready to glue in place.

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-70.jpg

Ready to start on the outside now including quite a few wheels, tracks and other bits and bobs that need to be attached before painting starts.

The supplied extended roof will not fit over the generator so I used the standard front roof. This will not have a machine gun mount.

D

Deleted member 4539

And this show's why it is alway's worth weathering.

This is weathered very nicely and well worth the effort you put into it to make it look well used.