AFV Club Sd.Kfz251/20 'UHU' (Owl) 1/35

F

Fenlander

Thanks guys, going to have to be a tad more subtle on the outside but that will be done using oils for fading and streaks. Got an idea for a diorama to have this being abandoned by a hedgerow with a couple of allied figures having a look through the rear doors. Seen a couple of Alpine American figures that would suit this well as their pose is exactly what I envisaged, if I can paint them :sad:

F

Fenlander

Thanks again guys. Was going to do loads today but family got in the way lol, might have to wait 'till Monday now but by then, I am sure something else will crop up. I really don't like bank holidays, I never get time to myself ;)

T

tommy1drop

Really is coming along a treat Graham, really impressive weathering, looking forward to seeing more;)

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Finally got a bit of time at the bench today so I finished off the exterior, apart from a few bits that would just break off and got it into the spray booth.

First up, a complete coat of Dunklegelb over primer. No, it isn't a coal truck..........

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-71.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-72.jpg

Then the green and brown for the camo. All freehand using the Mig Ammo 39-44 colour set

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-73.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-74.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-75.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-76.jpg

AFV%20Club%20Sd.Kfz-20%20Ausf%20D-77.jpg

This will soften up a lot when I get to oil fade it but for now, 24 hours drying time and then I will satin varnish ready for the real stuff.

D

dubster72

That looks very nice Graham - how do you find the Mig Ammo stuff? My lungs are struggling with enamels these days & so I'm thinking about moving to the dreaded acrylics! Either Ammo or AK Interactive. Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
That looks very nice Graham - how do you find the Mig Ammo stuff? My lungs are struggling with enamels these days & so I'm thinking about moving to the dreaded acrylics! Either Ammo or AK Interactive. Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.
Quite honestly, I love them. They work best with their own thinners but the coverage is very good as are the subtle colour changes in the sets. For German stuff I have the 39-44 set and I have the 44-45 late colours. I cannot say if they are accurate, but then again who can? But they are subtly different.

I also have the British set which I will be using on the Churchill when I get around to it. They work very well with the Stynylrez primer too. I know some poo poo the sets but when you are as unsure about colours as I am, they are a godsend to start off with. Oh, I have the Modern Russian set that I used for the 1/72 T-90.

Get all mine of John at Scale Model Shop, he carries a good range. I certainly like them and all my new paints will be these.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/ammo-by-mig-jimenez-22.html?p=1

Last edited:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looking great love that base colour really rich..and thanks for the paint tip might get me some off if it looks this good.

Keep the posts a coming

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Like the weathering so far Graham, coming along very nicely;)..................Jim:smiling3:

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Wow, Graham, that camo turned out very nice. That is definitely one area I am trying to improve on. And I may have to give the MIG stuff a try. Vallejo is pretty good, but seems really inconsistent from bottle to bottle.

Looking forward to more of this project.

D

Deleted member 4539

This is looking great Graham.

You really have the knack with these camo schemes.

PS

I'll paint the figs for you:smiling3:

F

Fenlander

\ said:
This is looking great Graham.
You really have the knack with these camo schemes.

PS

I'll paint the figs for you:smiling3:
Cheers Ralph. I am determined to try and get to grips with figures, in fact I have started on a bust to try out something I have never tried before to see if I can understand the principles that have always eluded me. 35mm is a different game but the bigger figures/busts give a bit more space to try blending techniques.

These are the Alpine figures I am considering. They would be positioned to the rear looking at the lamp through the open back doors. I think their stance and expression would suit the idea that they had come across an abandoned vehicle, the like of which they had never seen before.

image_69.jpe

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work with the camo ,Graham,do real like it,looks great,

the light is well done also with the chipping and weathering on it,liking the whole look, ;)

I do like the figures your thing off,and good to see a difference pose as well,and expression,is very good,on them,

and real some times we need to move away from,the stranded figure kit builds,as I do try and alter a lot of the

figures to a difference stands :rolleyes:

F

Fenlander

Thanks folks, just think, in October last year I had this in my hand ready to bin it :eek:. Glad it survived the cull now:smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That looks superb Graham. The search light also looks very realistic in appearance, nice job so far.