Airfix OO/HO Class 9F 2-10-0 Steam Locomotive No. 92250. 'Abandoned, but not forgotten'.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As you might know, I have to try making different types of models. To do otherwise would drive me bonkers..... :upside:

I'm going to try and model '92250', slowly rusting away at Woodham Bros. Scrapyard, Barry, S. Wales, where a vast amount of steam engines ended up in the '60's.

The box art and sprues.
P1270857.JPG

P1270858.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Should be interesting, there are plenty of images around for inspiration.....

First Name
Kevin
Hi Ron this looks an interesting little kit, looking forward to seeing the weathering on this build.;)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That scrapyard used to fascinate me every time we went to Barry Island. Mum was born in Barry, my great-grandad ran a seamen's hostel there, his wife had a cafe on the island before the fairground was built.
Looking forward to this.
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Tim - To be honest, a couple of weeks ago, I had a quick look at stuff on t'internet, but my brain became 'cabbaged' after a few minutes viewing, so I did my usual and just stared into space awaiting ideas to flow in my direction......The rust? Well, we all know what rust looks like, having all seen loads of the stuff on our travels, so it just needs painting on - Doesn't it? :thinking::cold-sweat:

But first, I needed to modify the tender by removing the 'coal'

P1270855.JPG

I drilled a single hole and then cut out the coal with a my good old faithful coping saw.
P1270856.JPG

The removal left a clear hole right down to the tracks, so I tidied it all up a bit (I'm not bothered about the remaining rough edges) and then fitted some plastic card on the base and rear of the compartment.
P1270859.JPG

P1270861.JPG

P1270860.JPG

Next, to get my eye in, I'll start applying the rust.

Cheers.
Ron

First Name
Kevin
Ron nice work on the tender. Plasticard is great stuff to work with, Ron I’m looking forward to seeing the rust.:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
After all these years that is still a good representation of the BR standard tender to my eyes.......good clean build as well....
Just to be sure, the only one of these engines painted green and l8ned was evening star. The others were all plain black....but I suspect this one will be all rust ;) Be good to have a white painted slogan on it though....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys, nice to have you along.

Tim, your post brought back happy from my train spotting days when steam ruled. I remember to my dismay seeing my first diesels on my line. They were G.W. - Western Explorer, Adventurer. To name but two.
Clutching my Holt Allen, which I still have, I spotted most Evening Star class locos. Evening Star herself was a regular through Chester. Got a bit boring after a while. I mean, I had to tick other Class 9F's didn't I? Amongst many others, I actually managed to 'Cab' her at Crewe sheds! Little did I know that Dr. 'Butcher' Beeching was about to destroy the railway as I knew and loved it.

As you will know, my subject, 92250 was in black livery.

At this stage, ladies and gents, I have to confess to the model being already completed - Complete with slogan! But that was going to be a surprise. :disappointed2:

I hope this world shattering admission will not cause those few watching to walk away in disgust....:worried:

Cheers.
Ron

D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Ron.
A few railway related memories.
Catching a train from Blacon to Chester Northgate.
My older Brother(11 years) taking me to Crewe to show me where he worked and going on the train to watch Chester playing away.

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
...ah, yes. Chester Northgate. (End of the line) Only a short walk from where I was brought up. In my later teens, I used to take the train from there to Manchester to meet a young lady - don't tell the wife!

• Wow
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great chat. Thanks boys.

As I've never rusted a loco before, it was yet another leap into the unknown.....so I decided to 'Get my eye in' on the tender.

After applying the decals (which, despite the yellowing backing paper) were still in excellent condition. Mind you, because I wasn't modelling 'Evening Star' I dispensed with the very thin, posh, red line decals which run along the length of the tender sides of that loco.

Here is the tender. Apart from cutting out the coal on the top, I also cut out the cab coal access chute thingy. You can just make out the bits of coal resting on it in the first photo. I then brushed on the first coat of Vallejo Air 'Rust', and laid it off.
vertically.

P1270874.JPG

P1270875.JPG

Here's the above mentioned coal thingy cut out. Yes, I forgot about it 'till after I'd painted the rust on... :upside:
P1270890.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Another "now for something different" from the Spanner570 bench. Off to a good start. Were these kits meant to just be static models or could they be motorised and be part of a model railway?
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ralph and Jim. Thanks for the interest, chaps. Much appreciated.

Ralph - Made me chuckle did that!

Jim - I would suspect static only. The model is designed to move (Mine is glued solid anyway) but the running gear is very flimsy. Even with working bits, I would never attempt to push it along the track, shouting "Choo, choo!"

Thanks again boys.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Even with working bits, I would never attempt to push it along the track, shouting "Choo, choo!"
Ron

'oo you tryin' to kid!? I can hear the 'whooshing' noises you make with your aeroplanes from here! As for your 'broom broom' noises when you finish a car the less said the better!

I'll forgive you just this once though. With all the rust on this, I doubt even the real thing would move.