Airfix OO/HO Class 9F 2-10-0 Steam Locomotive No. 92250. 'Abandoned, but not forgotten'.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 we'd be alright restoring that, keep us out of trouble and knacker us into the bargain

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers boys.

Thanks Ian.

Rick - Thanks. Quite uncanny seeing a camper van right on my pitch!

453- I doubt our smoothing planes would last long on that surface!

Next, I tackled the annoying shade difference between the loco and tender.
Throughout the rusting process and all my other brush painting, (I don't have an A.B.) I've always used the same principle as the lads who first daubed a cave wall with their 'Comics' - The thicker the paint, the darker the shade.
That's how I worked with this model. I used a big, flat headed brush and liberally applied the paint and let it run and gather where it chose. Then repeat using either a thicker or thinner mix.

Shade difference sorted.... :thumb2:
P1270888.JPG

I've also started to' Modify' the long bits wot drive the thing.
P1270889.JPG

Next stage - More rust!

Cheers.
Richard Trevithick.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Up to date now.

I've decided to put 92250 to one side and concentrate on it's base. Once I've completed the yard, I will add the loco, finish off its weathering and hopefully blend it in to its ' surroundings' ....and add 'Extras' ;)

I'm using a scrap piece of polystyrene for the base. No track with the loco kit, but luckily I have a length of it from that icy river diorama I made a sort while back.
To add a bit more interest, I have cut the length in half and bedded the two pieces onto the base. I've purposely left out the track ballast, figuring that the shale, general muck and there not really being a need for the stuff in a scrapyard, would be good enough reason for its exclusion. Then I've added some initial dirt and whatever else happened to fall on the surface at the same time.

P1270896.JPG

P1270902.JPG

Cheers, and thanks for looking in.
Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Should think your right 570, the scrap yards I used to pass had locos lined up , the ballast was the last thing on the workers mind. A sad thing to see these great engines just waiting to be stripped.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ralph and 453. Thank you both for your input. Much appreciated.

I've decided I need some sort of low perimeter around the base, so as today is a bit 'Parky' outside, I've retired indoors and made me a rough, scrapyard wall using some off-cuts of foam board, suitably scribed and then given a brushed on wash of reds and browns, and finally weathered a tad wiv a bit a' grey and green. The scale height is about 4ft.. Any higher and I am in danger of loosing sight of good ol' 92250.
P1270897.JPG

P1270901.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
the scrap yards I used to pass had locos lined up , the ballast was the last thing on the workers mind
I remember some of the tracks at Barry Island were laid just to store the scrap locos, so the spacing of the sleepers was all over the place and the rails weren't level.
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Pete and Paul.

Pete. Nice to read my thoughts about the rough and ready tracks were sound.

I'm continuing to work my way around the base. I don't the wall all around the three sides, it'll look too uniform and uninteresting, so I've come up with having a bit of 'Tin' fence and a gate.

Here are the various bits. The woodwork is cut down cocktail sticks. Sorry, but I haven't a clue where the mesh came from. The corrugated sheeting is kitchen foil scoured with the back of a modelling knife, cut to size and painted with various colours.
P1270900.JPG

A rough 'scrapyard' gate
P1270899.JPG

...all together now. Sounds like the cue for a song.....All together now, la la de da de dum. :smiling4:
P1270909.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good stuff chaps.
Tony. In my shorts and acne faced days, I was fortunate to see almost all of the 9F's and cabbed a couple too. Interesting link too. Thanks for posting it.

Re- the life of this class of loco. I have read that one only had a life span of just 8 years!

Ralph. Me numpty! I meant to type ' Coffee stirrers'. Post edited and thanks for drawing it to my attention... :thumb2:

Thanks for all your comments and discussions too. They keep me going....

Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tony, evening star (the last one built) came into service in 1960 and was withdrawn in 1965! The longest serving 9F lasted 14 years in service. That was just half of the service life expected when they were built......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A bit more progress as more ideas filter through my addled bonce....

I've made a disused access ramp thingy over the tracks out of foam board. I put it on an angle just for fun.
P1270908.JPG

Wall and fence glued in place.
If anyone is wondering why the fence, when folks could simple climb over the wall, there is a small return of the fence at the left hand end, which terminates at the base edge.
Smart thinking, or what?
P1270910.JPG

I've also made some more bits and pieces out of scrap stuff.
P1270906.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

First Name
Kevin
Hi Ron the different weathering colours are looking very nice on the loco.
The diorama board with the weathered tin sheets and track sections is very nicely done.:thumb2: