AllenD's 1/35 Dragon StuG IV, Last Production '45 - Bob's StuG GB

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well I have been rather slack in keeping up with this fine build. Some lovely work and to keep those mesh sheets straight is a real art. There is some wonderful detailing all over this build. Well done mate. It was a real joy to catch uo with this Stug.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Allen

Had a look through my StuG IV books, although not many tech stuff on this version. As you say nothing about the rain guard, not shown in the Achtung panzer book either.

So yes a field mod

Bob

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Whew! I'm glad you figured that out, I hadn't realized I asked such a difficult question:tongue-out3::thumb2:
Cheers Guys, Rick H.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not a problem, the chaps were a nightmare carrying out field mods so research can be a right time confusing pain!! But in a mad way i enjoy it:cool: should get a hobby;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Rick,

The question wasn't hard and like Bob said field mods were a nightmare. The bad news is that field mods were almost never photographed or documented, therefore we have so little info about them. It's the same with Krupp, who built the StuG IV. Existing documents and photos are far and few between. Most got destroyed in air raids or disappeared after the war. There are some, but it's just like Panther production. MAN has a full array of photos shot by the MAN official photographer, but little of the written documents survived. MNH has lots of written documents, but very few actual photos of production and such...

One day and we can only hope, these missing (if they weren't destroyed) documents and photos will surface, may be de-classified and be published. The Bundesarchiv here has a lot of info, but seeking it out is a very difficult and time consuming task as there are hundreds of thousands of photos to go through. Doing a search by name only gives you about a 5% chance of a hit on the subject. I haven't delved into the NARA archives in America yet. They have a lot of photos taken during the war, including the MAN and MNH factories after their capture. Again, I don't believe they have de-classified a lot stuff taken from German armament works after the war either. I could be wrong…..

Bleib Gesund
Allen

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Tank Power volume 261 Stug IV have a few pictures in it with the rain cover clearly shown on the Stug. Also a few passages of the modifications applied by Krupp. Let me know if you want me to dropbox it over to you.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Very true Allen, perhaps something might pop in at a auction for example?

My biggest gripe are vehicles updated in the field to the latest Ausf and approved by the army etc then you have the ones returning to the factories for repair and then being updated. In my world many old StuG's A- F being returned in the latest specs, very hard to work out whats what!

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Will have a look, suprise i have this book lol. The Iv is not covered in the detail when compared to the 111

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Tank Power volume 261 Stug IV have a few pictures in it with the rain cover clearly shown on the Stug. Also a few passages of the modifications applied by Krupp. Let me know if you want me to dropbox it over to you.

Thanks Stevie, If it's not to much trouble, please do send them. Finding a good reference on the StuG IV is difficult as the StuG III was much more widely produced and used......

We won't get into re-furbished vehicles in the field or at the factories Bob, as that is another can of worms to sort out!!! War was hell....

Thanks Fernando, You have to love Voyager etch sets. I might follow JR's idea and throw some chickens back there. I love the smell of frying eggs in the morning…...

Bleib Gesund
Allen

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Steve

Had a look but all i can find is the rain guard for the gunners periscope?

Mind you due for a eyetest:nerd:
Bob

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Page 7, 23, 27, 28, 33. My apologies if this is the wrong thing shown on the photos

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
A big thanks again Stevie and the pics show three different types of guards in use. I will see if I can post a few pics of them....

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm for chickens in the back!:tongue-out3:LOL! I found one reference to what I think is a hinged rain guard in Spielberger's Panzer lV & Variants. Page 93, it appears to be in the folded back position. Can anyone confirm this? Rick H.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Steve

Going to ask Wolfgang at history facts, shame they did not cover the Iv, but they might when they finally release there books on the Pz Iv?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi All,

First, Hello Andy and welcome to my madness and thank you for the kind words!!!

Second, I can't say yes or no Rick as I don't have that book…..

Third, Here are a few pics of the covers in question and a big thanks to Stevie,

1585241805478.png

1585242860983.png

1585242068234.png

1585242176509.png

I hope this answers all the questions…..

Bleib Gesund
Allen

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Steve and Allen

Cannot find anything ref the shield being a factory fitment when new?

Its getting very nerdy now:upside:

Off for a injection lol

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Bob, these were not factory mods. Done in the field and some StuG IV's just used tarps too.....I'm with you, but off to drink a few cold ones instead……………….