Allen's 1/48 Revell Mosquito B Mk. IV

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon all you fine folks,

This will be my entry into Ian's GB. A big thanks to him for setting it up and I do hope to finish this time. 1/48 is kinda small for me and the only reason for not finishing it will be blindness.........I also have an evil plan to display it in a dio when it's finished...........

The mandatory stuff,

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG
I will be using the kit decals for the build. I am also still trying to find masks for the canopy and glass areas. No other AM stuff will be added (famous last words)...........The Sprues,

IMG_3002.JPG
IMG_3003.JPG
IMG_3004.JPG
And a close up shot of some interior details,

IMG_3005.JPG
The kit is from 2008 and doesn't look to hard, but does have a lot of tiny parts. I will be using this paint set for the camo and such,

IMG_2967.JPG
I don't know which camo scheme I will use yet and I hope to start building in a few days. Let's have some fun!!!.................

Prost
Allen

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Allen, thanks for joining in. Just have fun building it, I’m sure you’ll get it finished.
Looks like a nice kit.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Ian, I am sure I will have fun, but my GB completion rate still stands at 5%........Maybe I can raise it a few points with the Mossie......

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
Nice looking model kit. I have every confidence that you will finish this within the time.
Go, go Allen :hugging-face: :smiling::hugging-face:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice one Allen!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks for the vote of confidence Gentlemen. I'm going to give it that old college try.....

Jimbo, you've known me for a few years and you know well how bad my completion statistics are Sir!!!.......Guess I better get going then....

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ohhhhhhh Myyyyyyyy, and here we go! No worry Allen you have till Christmas (this year)to finish it!! I will be watching, as I have never seen you do a wing thing before. Goggles down and have at it Sir. :thumb2:

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great, no snoopy this time then Allen…..

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Paul. Got my fingers and toes crossed to finish this GB too Buddy.....

No Snoopy this time I'm afraid Tim, but I do have an evil plan..........For when it's done....................

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry to hear that Pete, but I know you will do a fantastic job building yours. One just has to look at your duo build to see your talents....

Prost
Allen

PS, money transfer to my Swiss bank account as usual......................Thanks!...........

antonintony

SMF Supporter
First Name
Antonin
Hey Allan,
set up your magnifying glasses on the highest strenght and rock that Mosquito :nerd:.
I´m really excited to follow your progress!! See ya!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Look forward to seeing this, makes a change from all the Tamiya kits.

You and me both Ian!!! Hope I don't do a Bon Jovi when I start it...."Shot Down In A Blaze Of Glory"..........

Looks nice, good luck with your build Allen :thumb2:

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff and I think I'm with you not sticking my fingers together While building it.........

Hey Allan,
set up your magnifying glasses on the highest strenght and rock that Mosquito :nerd:.
I´m really excited to follow your progress!! See ya!

Hey Anton, They don't make lenses in the strength I need to see the little parts, but I will give it my best shot. BTW, DJ Ötzi was looking for you earlier, but I didn't tell him where you lived. Have a good one and I hope work wasn't too bad today for you. I didn't have to work........Coooo, Coooo!!!!!

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Fellow GBer's,

That magic time has arrived and I am going to start building this thang. Before one starts a build, there are four steps to be done first, to ensure everything goes smoothly and as planned...........

First step - Organize the kit sprues,

IMG_3022.JPG
Ok, you really can't organize Revell Sprues as they have no letters and the part numbers are scattered all over every sprue like buckshot!!!.....

Second step - You have to clean up the mat from your last playtime and get rid of all the left over scratchy tidbits and such. It should look like this when you begin your build,

IMG_3021.JPG
The piece on the mat was loose in the kit sprue bag.....And Jimbo, please do not send me an application for the TBC (Tidy Bench Club) or the TTC (Tidy Table Club) as this cleanliness will not last past this weekend. TIA my friend.....

Third step - You have to put your balls into the paints you are going to be using for the build,

IMG_3027.JPG
AHHH, that's steel balls, not your own folks!!!...............

Fourth (the most important one) and final step- Have plenty of beverages to keep you going through the build,

IMG_3026.JPG
With luck, this should hopefully last me through this weekend............................

A final note......One thing you should never forget to have people...........FUN!!!!.........

Building da thang pics to follow shortly. Thank you for your understanding that I'm kinda slow posting...........

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Yeah, me again,

Our temps have gone down and my apartment has cooled off nicely to build at the table. So putting the 27X magnification lens in the optivisor, I started this massacre nipping, snipping and glue sniffing on my Mossie,

IMG_3023.JPG
The kit's plastic is nice to work with and not to soft or hard. Some of the parts have some flash and there are mold alignment ridges to deal with, but some light scraping with a blade fixes that. I built the rear landing gear together and then did a test fit in the fuselage. Fit was great and the fuselage closes without a prob. Shouldn't need any putty in this area at all. It's nice that it comes in two sections making gluing it together easier to align both sides. The little wings for the back was another story....

The pieces fit together fine, but I didn't know if the small circle things molded in, went on the top or the bottom of the wing. The destructions didn't show, so I pulled up a Tamiya set from Scalemates to find out. Now I know how they go. I am not technically up to date on the Mossie information wise. I do know they used about 45 kilos of nails and about 137 sheets of plywood w/knots (ask Mark1), to build one. Ok, maybe a few more facts too................

I then decided to build the bomb bay next and got all the fixins' cleaned up for it,

IMG_3028.JPG
They also cleaned up well and the fit is ok too. I then took a look at the clear sprue and noticed that there are 3 different types of side windows for the canopy and have a question for the experts here,

IMG_3025.JPG
I am building the Mk.IV Mossie w/bombs in the bay. Should I use the crank down type (left), the bubble type (middle) or the electric windows (right)???? Any help is greatly appreciate and TIA.........

I looked at the canopy too and wondered if it could be painted without using masks. It could be doable with a steady hand, but I think masks are the way to go. Then I read Mick's build and the mix-up he had with the masks and came across this point from our Ian (Mr. Muddle),

"And Remember; the Mossie had some frames of the canopy that was only INSIDE the canopy so will need painting befor the thing goes on the fuselage."

Damn, I'm doomed from the start..............................

Thanks for looking in and more to come...

Prost
Allen