Allen's (V2) F-108 Cable Reel Trailer for SimonT

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening fine folks and crazies around the world,

Thanks so much for your support and humorous comments. OK, so I'm old and shouldn't be given sharp objects either, but hey.......

I did take a good look at the Das Werk kit and, uhhh, Mmmm, it's not too shabby. Soft, real soft plastic and flash where you don't need it to be. If I get a chance and a good pic, I'll show you what I mean in a post later........Now,

Lee, You probably could do one easy enough, but you have to have 16 identically sized compartments and of course cable reels. Lots of them and in 1/48 they are hard to find unless you buy 10 Tamiya 88's with the Hanomag SS-100 kits. Expensive Buddy!!!

Fernando, Don't worry my friend, gonna get it right this time. I have a plan and a big box of bandaids too...

Paul, I do too and they have great subject matter. This one looks to be molded by Takom or Border...

Andrew, Don't worry Sir, the beer is actually for after I do something right on the build. Probably won't even get to drink one....

Steve, Glad to have you looking in. The real fun will begin in a week due to another commitment....

Dude 2, A rather iffy excuse Bro! I think you've been goldbricking myself. And FYI, I don't have an iPhone, so the list is a moot point!!!

Richard, Easy my friend. The only red stuff flying around will be Limes Strawberry schnapps. I actually do use all 5 knives and each one has a special purpose. One for etch, one for cutting the sprue nibs off, one with the blue blade holder for scaping and the other for scoring lines. Of course, the big one is for...............Dang, I forget........

Rick, Ok, so we now have 10,007 comedians out of work, but that was a good one!!! My mom used to call me a menace when I was like 8 or 9. I still wonder why...............

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr D...AKA Rocketman,
Might of known there would be some V2 shenanigans from you! Looks like a thoroughly complicated and technical build mate....please tell me you’ll finish this one though ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Yea, It's the old dangerous man again,

I shot a couple of pics from the Das Werk kit to explain what I was babbling about earlier, but first,

Paul, Go ahead my friend, have a drink on me!!! Glad you're here too....

Mr. Benson, You know me well. The second time is always a charm with this one. I did manage to finish one GB so far in my life. That's something Simon and I had in common too.....

So, let's talk about the kit. The tires are made in 5 pieces. 8 x 5 equals 40 pieces for the tires alone, not counting the spare tire. I removed one tire, the bed frame and the floor piece last night and here's what we got,

IMG_2215.JPG

Love the sink holes on the bed surface, but more about them in a few. The mat came in handy keeping the tire pieces correctly in sequence for dummies like me. You can see they are also sagged a bit which is a nice touch, BUT,

IMG_2218.JPG

Ok, the pic is not the best as the iPad doesn't have a macro setting. If you look closely, all of the inner pieces have raised flash points all around them. This was a pain in the rectal anatomy to clean them up. Even more so with the soft plastic. This will be worse than doing indy links with a blindfold on!!! On to the trailer bed,

IMG_2219.JPG

The detail is really fine as is the wood grain, but the sink marks are the pits. Luckily, I won't have to fill them because with the reels and other junk in place, you won't see them (ok, I'm lazy). Now one might ask why they aren't on the bottom of the bed. Here's why,

IMG_2220.JPG

Is it just me or are there about 90 too many alignment pins on this puppy??? Das Werk does have an add-on kit of wood planking for the bed and the side panels, but this is really odd if you ask me. Maybe everyone who builds this kit will display it on a mirror to show the underside detail......................

That's it for now. I have to send mails to PaulE, Rick, Lee, Joe, Jim and others and remind them to vote for Nixon tomorrow!!!

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Late in Allen, I'm still playing catch up, but this looks like a mission and a half!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Yea, It's the old dangerous man again,

I shot a couple of pics from the Das Werk kit to explain what I was babbling about earlier, but first,

Paul, Go ahead my friend, have a drink on me!!! Glad you're here too....

Mr. Benson, You know me well. The second time is always a charm with this one. I did manage to finish one GB so far in my life. That's something Simon and I had in common too.....

So, let's talk about the kit. The tires are made in 5 pieces. 8 x 5 equals 40 pieces for the tires alone, not counting the spare tire. I removed one tire, the bed frame and the floor piece last night and here's what we got,

View attachment 402961

Love the sink holes on the bed surface, but more about them in a few. The mat came in handy keeping the tire pieces correctly in sequence for dummies like me. You can see they are also sagged a bit which is a nice touch, BUT,

View attachment 402962

Ok, the pic is not the best as the iPad doesn't have a macro setting. If you look closely, all of the inner pieces have raised flash points all around them. This was a pain in the rectal anatomy to clean them up. Even more so with the soft plastic. This will be worse than doing indy links with a blindfold on!!! On to the trailer bed,

View attachment 402963

The detail is really fine as is the wood grain, but the sink marks are the pits. Luckily, I won't have to fill them because with the reels and other junk in place, you won't see them (ok, I'm lazy). Now one might ask why they aren't on the bottom of the bed. Here's why,

View attachment 402968

Is it just me or are there about 90 too many alignment pins on this puppy??? Das Werk does have an add-on kit of wood planking for the bed and the side panels, but this is really odd if you ask me. Maybe everyone who builds this kit will display it on a mirror to show the underside detail......................

That's it for now. I have to send mails to PaulE, Rick, Lee, Joe, Jim and others and remind them to vote for Nixon tomorrow!!!

Prost
Allen
Allen

Great to hear that someone else that doesn't worry about what can be seen. As for clean up the flash, that midst have been a tense affair given the thinness of them.

ATB

Andrew

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Dude 1. John posted that First Aid list and Motion Sickness is on the list I now feel safer when you start winding up those cable reels with wire as I get Dizzy watching you. Looking good so far though.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Andrew,

It was and I only cleaned up one tire's worth. It's going to take some time to do the others.....Lot's of time......

Hi Lee,

You're in luck or should I say really lucky as I only have a couple left to fill with cable. I don't think you'll have a problem when I do. Thanks Buddy!

Prost
Allen

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Allen. Thanks I’m a little relieved now. I think one of these days I might build just a German trailer like you start with I really like the looks of the trailer. Keep up the good magic.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon all,

Just a quick note and I hope to have an update later this weekend...

lee, Come on buddy, have a go at one. What scale are you looking to do it in???

Here is a photo taken from inside Rocketman's Flat in Bamberg.

Dude 2, I like Johnny Depp films and as a matter fact, who do you think starred in the 2nd "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie when he was on vacation for months??? That's right,

Halloween 2006 018 (2).jpg

Little old me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick, No probs Sir. There are no back seats in my tiny apartment and for the sequel, I broke out the secret weapon,

IMG_2222.JPG

Hit the button to measure the frame thickness and got the 'no screen of death'. Forgot to remove the battery and it was dead. Bought a new one and we are back in business....

Thanks guys and more on this puppy later............

Prost
Allen

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Allen. Like to build one in 1/48.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh Matey! now that's the stuff!! I see you have one 'O them fancy furniture clamps for squeezing small bits with. And whats all them fancy numbers on there?.......Don't you got one that says inches an feet? stuff like that I'll be back and if that damn Parrot is in on this build........He' for it too! Now where'd I put me Cutlass...........

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Forgot to remove the battery and it was dead.
This is why I’ve got back to using the old-fashioned type, that doesn’t need a battery. It’s ridiculous that these things keep draining the battery when “off” because they don’t have a proper off switch that actually breaks the circuit.