Allen's (V2) F-108 Cable Reel Trailer for SimonT

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Shiver me timbers Captain.Some great work with the old circle cutter.Ive got one of them beasties hidden away unused and im sure someday i will press into service.
Cracking work buddy.
Rich.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Ya Mücken,

Dude 2, Tim, Jimbo, Paul, Richard and PaulE, Thanks so much for your comments and interest in this project. It is moving along, but not without some set backs. This was to be expected and a few brain farts didn't help it either...Anyway,

After cutting out the discs for the tires, I glued them together using drops of my Faller Super Expert glue around the outer rim of each disc. after they were glued, I went to clamp them together, but found the clamps moved them out of round. I slid them back even and inserted a piece of wire and waited 15 minutes for the glue to settle and set up a bit. I then pressed them together with my fingers around the edges to make sure there were no gaps and such. I let them dry for an hour and then ran a bead of MIG extra thin around the edges for extra holding strength. After it had dried, I broke out the semi-coarse sanding stick and went to work. After about a week of sanding, I finally had a tire,

IMG_2262.JPG

Sorry for the lousy pic, but the iPad doesn't do Macro shots well. The I broke out my secret weapon tool and went about making a tread pattern on the tires. When done, it looked like this,

IMG_2260.JPG

It looks a bit rough, but in reality, it looks like a Bike or motorcycle tire pattern. After this was done, it was time to put Olga, Olfa or whatever it's called (we'll stick with Olga) to work again. It is difficult to set the blade to the correct diameter needed so the etch spokes would fit properly. Holding the Olga in my right hand fingers and the tire in the left hand fingers, I began to make my circle cut. It did take while to do. I wanted to cut 1/2 way through each side for a better etch fit and,

IMG_2261.JPG

Bang, I was about 0,010mm too short in diameter and the etch didn't fit in the tire. I reset Olga about 0,010mm and tried it again after inserting the center piece back into the tire. Going very slow and gentle, I managed to get it almost right and we had this,

IMG_2263.JPG

Ok, so it was a hair or two too big, but the etch fit into the tire the way it should. So I, Joe genius, decide to reset the Olga a tick to get it right for the second one. The Olga has no other measurement settings other than 8th inches increments. One has to eyeball everything and make a test circle lightly to see if it is the correct diameter needed. I did this and then the brain fart hit after I had cut almost all the way through the tire. I forgot to take into account the total thickness of Olga's blade...DOH!!! I made the cut too big and when I placed the etch in the rim, it fell through onto my mat.....

What to do...I made another tire and went through the whole routine again. I reset Olga once more and went about cutting the center piece out. Be damned, it was a hair smaller, but the etch spoke fell through it again.....ARRRRRGGGG!!!!! Time for a glass of wine!!!

Then I got a wild idea to shim the inside of the tire with a strip of 0,010mm sheet. NOT, as the etch sits on the shim fine but the diameter of the etch is too small for the tire opening...That does that make sense??? Tomorrow, I will make some more tires, sand them down, add the tread and try it until I get it right. At this rate, I'll never get a job at Continental Tire Works....................

Ya gotta love it and I have to give my fingers a rest from using Olga (not from the Volga)......Thanks again for following this and I hope to have some good news soon.............

Prost
Allen "the Retread King"

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice to see you still manage to stay calm and not throw the lot out of your widow into the sandpit !
Really though it's a brilliant idea and not easy to adjust that cutter so well done Dude 1.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Allen!!!!........Will you please stop fingering Olga......people are starting to talk!:tongue-out3::tongue-out2::tongue-out: It's a shame that tool is not precision enough to have a micrometer setting so you don't have to do all that guess work setting it up. In the past I have used a pair of Sheffield dividers that I set up using calipers......only works well when cutting thin stock though. Your persistence has paid off though and the "Continental" tread pattern is great. Rick H.:thumb2:

• Wow
Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen,
Really nice work I wouldn't have the patience. However I do approve of the wine.

• Haha

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
Sheer bloody minded determination. All credit to you. I am sure you'll get it all sorted. Just needs more time and wine.
Jim

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Hats off to you Allen.

Impressive skills and amazing perseverance. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product...

Nick

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the iPad doesn't do Macro shots well
Tap on the screen where you want it to focus. If that still doesn’t work to your satisfaction, take the picture from further away, then crop it to what you need.

Impressive wheel, though :smiling3: I don’t think I’d want to tackle making those …

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very impressive Herr kapitan Jack.Certainly got more patience doing this sort of thing than me buddy.
Good show dude.
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work on the tyre treads. Nice to see the PE work as well. Looks like your having a lot of fun with this build. Keep it comin mate

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Greetings From a Cold and Colder Bamberg,

Got an east wind blowing outside and it's coming straight out of Siberia. Even my toenails are cold....But who cares as I'm inside....So,

Dude 2 - You know me Brother, I just stay calm, drive on and try again. Besides, there is enough litter in the sandpit across the street anyway...

Rick - Thanks Buddy, and now I really think a cold shower is in order for ya! I too wish it had better markings with smaller increments to make the settings easier. My calipers are too big to be of use too....BTW, Olga says hi Rick!!!

Paul - Thanks my friend! Remember, Wine is fine, candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker...From an old song and this is so much fun and actually doesn't get on my nerves. I'm enjoying the challenge....I must be krank!!!...

Jim - Thanks too Sir, but I always say that it's mind over matter...I don't mind and it don't matter. You'll see what I mean below....

Nick - You are too kind Sir! If you are going to wait for the finished product, then I hope you have some free time in 2027 for a look/see. Seriously, I hope to get moving along after "Tire Gate" is over......

Andrew - Thank you my Friend! They say a word is worth a thousand pictures, or???? Maybe I got that wrong...................

Jakko - Thanks and I tried 3 or 4 times to get a clear picture. When I tapped on the screen, it focused perfectly and I took the shot. The picture still came out a bit blurred each time. Ok, so the iPad is 8 years old, so maybe she is just tired or it's time to buy a new one perhaps. I still love her though, even if she's old............

Richard - Thanks ya landlubber!!!!! I think you should break out the cutter and give it a whirl meself...It has nothing to do with patience my friend, besides, ain't patience the folks who lay around in hospitals???? Take care Buddy......

Stevie - Thank you too Bro!!! This baby won't have a lot of etch, but I only hope the etch I use does it's part. It is a lot of fun though. In fact, I haven't had this much fun since I had an STD in the 70's and had to go to the free clinic for a shot and some pills. Still living the Plymouth station wagon Buddy???

Only a small update tonight I'm afraid. I had to rest the fingers on Thursday, so I gave Olga the night off. Before she went out on the town, I did give her a new blade. When I bought Olga, she came with 5 blades and the seller threw in 2 packs of 15 blades each as a bonus, so I can make circles till the end of time...

I came home from work on Friday, all revved up to make tires. I made a cuppa and promptly fell asleep while reading my mails. When I woke up I managed to do this,

IMG_2267.JPG

Cut out 3 new sets of discs for more tires. Ok, that was all I got done last night, but today was a new day and I had to keep going....

I glued two sets of discs together for new tires and kept the 3rd set for masters in case I screw up again. It was also time to clean up the spoke rims from the etch set and glue them together,

IMG_2268.JPG

Of course, with my luck last time, making the set of etch spokes for my Steyr, the CA had other ideas. Three times it held (so far) and one time it didn't (on the white plastic piece). Scraped the old CA off and tried it again. So far, so good. I formed the other 3 to fit the 2 little plastic tube pieces that are spacers between the etch rims. I'll form the last piece in the morn after it dries. Then I will sand the 2 new tire discs into shape and add the tread profile before I attempt to cut the centers out again. I've set Olga to the (hopefully) correct diameter this time and have my fingers crossed........

More tomorrow unless disaster strikes. Thanks again all and have a great weekend. All C, C and C most welcome any time.......

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Allen,
Missed your last update so just got caught up. Superb work on the tires, the tread has come out great. I’m sure youll get yer sizes right and it’ll all come good....fingers crossed :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Allen..........don't know why you're complaining about the cold .....you have Olga to keep you warm buddy!! :tongue-out3: ;)........think I'll take a hot shower and call it good. Nice progress on the Tires, hope it all works out for you. Rick H.

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Holy smokes.. those tires are the bomb.. I’m trading in my Michelin tires for the A Dewire Brand. Well done and can’t wait to see more

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fun post with good looking results, what’s not to like?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Don't swell his head too much Peter..........he'll never get his hat on...........hear it's cold this time of the year in Bamberg. ;)