Alterations and refurbishment to the Church in sleepy old Dapol.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

That's really looking rather good!

ATB

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Great to have a bit of input, it keeps me motivated. - an' de reedom ob kuars!

Tim, if the knife blade is sharp enough I use that. If not, then scissors are o.k.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Rick. I'm well happy you approve of the renovation thus far. I'll pass on your compliments to my boys.

Time to sort out the stone gable end cappings. Again, the flat pack ones are way too big, so I asked Idu for his advise.

"Mr. Ron, me an' de boys no notin' aboot dat kine ob stoan woork, but I no soomwan 'oo duz!"

A few days later, a battered old van arrived on site. Idu introduced me to his stonemason, a Mr. Gowaan Fyn de Kwaari. A South Africaan gentleman.

"The only time these blicks want me is when they're in a mess!" That is all he ever said to me.

He quickly sourced the necessary stone and set to work.

Back to Reality III
I've made the cappings from thick plastic card, suitably scribed and hacked about. Then I brushed on different shades of beige paint.

P1280218.JPG

Here's the 'heavy' kit one, next to Mr. de Kwaari's effort.
P1280224.JPG

Thanks for looking in folks.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Ron,

Sorry, but I'm real late on this one Sir. Hell, I'd be late to my own funeral.....

You and the boy's improvements are magnificent. You are a lucky man to have such good help and they work cheap too. I am loving this. Now I have to go back and check out this rust bucket choo choo build of yours.......

Prost
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
All great posts. thanks boys.. :thumb2:

453 - They are neither. Idu imported them from Spannerinia and the size is 570x570. ;)

The South African, Gowaan Fyn de'Qwaari has returned with some more stone and has completed the roof cappings.

P1280270.JPG

The ridge tiles are fixed and Ben de'Ledd has also finished the lead flashing.

P1280271.JPG

P1280269.JPG

P1280272.JPG

Reality IV.
The 'leadwork' is the same card as the roof tiles, bent and shaped, then glued to the tile profiles. I know the lead should be cut into the stonework, but once all is weathered, this omission will not be noticed.
The ridge tiles are again the same card.

I've just noticed the porch wall entrance is too thin. "IDU!"

I hope you approve of the renovation thus far.

Cheers.
Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great Ron, liking the lead and capping work a lot. It could just be the camera angle, but are the fourth and fifth tile rows down on the main roof cut through? They look different.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Looks great Ron, liking the lead and capping work a lot. It could just be the camera angle, but are the fourth and fifth tile rows down on the main roof cut through? They look different.
Simon sitting on your shoulder ,Tim? ;)

• Love
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Tim, it's not the camera angle, those two are a slightly different card thickness, shade and texture than the rest. I wasn't bothered about it, as not only does it break up the uniform blandness of the tiles, (which I try to do anyway) hopefully, all will come good and blend in when it's been given some weathering.