Alterations and refurbishment to the Church in sleepy old Dapol.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Apologies 570, I had a sudden drop in blood pressure as Matron has just arrived to check on my drooling.
Loving the lead work by the way.

Yours 453.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes yes, that's much better 453.......you had 570 and myself worried there for awhile. Glad Matron has it sorted. G'day 570, the windows are superb Sir! Looks like Mr. Idu got you the right man for the job. Faithfully following, 358

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Idu and his mates have said they will build the flat pack roof.
I agreed, and told Idu I would organise the scaffolding and a crane.

"Waat! You spooks reely am de leemeet. Me an' de boys will woork ober de weeokend an' m'bee a foo days muar, an' get de mudder on. Dat way de elf an' seeafty wuant be stikin' dere noses in. Oh, an' we neeaad us a lodder!

Again they didn't let me down. No faffing about, they just got stuck in. Brits would probably still be having a brew, sucking their teeth and asking for more money!

Here is the church, complete with all roofs on. Including the bell tower one. The lads even fixed the guttering.
P1280191.JPG

P1280192.JPG

A closer look at the stonework and windows. We decided to leave the windows in the main part of the church 'clear' and keep the coloured glass ones just for the altar area.
P1280189.JPG

Although the boys did a good, quick job. The roof tiles supplied with the flat pack were of a very poor definition and could hardly be seen, so yet another cunning plan has been hatched....... ;)

Cheers all.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent response, chaps.

Jim. Actually it was neither Idu or myself who came up with the cunning plan, it was a famous Nigerian roofer, Idu had contacted on my behalf. His name is Klymoop n'Feexdem. Luckily he had just finished re- roofing the Nigerian University, so his services were available.

Ralph - Appalling enough?! It surely can't get much more appallingerer - Can it?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
If Klymoop n'Feexdem is involved then I have every confidence the plan will work. A few years ago he repaired the roof on a friends house.
1602158302370.png
Not often you get craftmanship like that these days.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
And what of Mr. Kando and Mr. Effemup? Will they be along to take part in this construction project? I'm a bit late on this one but the scale is absolutely perfect..........couldn't have made a better choice meself! :tongue-out2: I'll sit in the back with JR to stop him drooling......yours, 358
Hope you have a bucket

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent input once more. Great Picture, Jim. Thanks for posting it.

Sadly, back to reality....

I've made a start on the roof modifications.
Before I cover the rather bland kit roof with summat a bit more interesting, I've glued the supplied, and way over scale, plastic ridge tile strip to the underside of the roof apex.
This has both straightened and stiffened the roof.
P1280195.JPG

Next, I cut and glued some thin card on the outside to fill in the different levels. This has given me an even and flat roof surface ready for the modification.
You can see from the images below just how huge the supplied plastic ridge tile strips would have been.
The gable end cappings are again way too big, but I can tile straight over these. Holes and all.

P1280194.JPG

P1280196.JPG

Thanks again for the great posts.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The lads worked through the night tiling the roof. Here's progress thus far.

P1280198.JPG

Nice and flat, and holes gone!
P1280199.JPG

The boys worked really well during the night, but the load music kept me awake.

When I had a word with Idu, he said. "Man, you honkies ain't got no sooal, we 'as to 'av de reedom wen we am woorkin'!

Tiles cut from the thin card of an old receipt book and fixed on using UHU gen. purp. glue.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Roof looks good Ron, that’s an old railway technique that I haven’t seen in ages, and haven’t had much luck with myself. When I try it I find the tiles/slates curl so look strange once they’re down. I usually end up going down the individual tile route, which takes ages....what’s the secret?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Tim. No secret. I can only think you perhaps used too thin a card and once damp, has caused the curl.
In any case, I still intend to bend a few upwards here and there, so a bit of a curl to start with is no bad thing. ;)

Thank to Ralph and Tony for your posts too.

Here's one side of the church roof completed. This gives a better 'Before and after'. You can just see the original grey plastic ridge underneath, running along the inside of the roof apex.
P1280200.JPG

Thanks for keeping me company, chaps.
Ron