And now for something completely different, sorry i lie like a cheap watch!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
With the tiny Rutscher nearly ready i thought one last build before i tackle the shelf queens and que for painting and weathering, there's a lot :anguished:

Takom new 1:35 StuG Ausf G, early production

I was not going to get his kit BUT it’s a StuG so the force was strong! (still waiting for the new sprues for the Pz 111 M kit by the way) plus paid £28.00!

There’s a good few discussions about this kit on the web so thought I would include my half a pennies worth!

This is aimed at the venerable Tamiya early StuG G, which although inaccurate is a pleasure to build. This kit has no interior and lacks the detail of Dragons later StuG kits, plus the new NEO kits, but a great deal cheaper.

Being picky, in my eyes it’s NOT an early Ausf G, the first G’s were built in December 1942 by Alkett and on Ausf F-8 hulls. They still had the driver’s side vision slit.

Out of the box it’s a StuG from the Miag factory, they started StuG G production in Feb 43.

Its Miag build as the position of the fire extinguisher on the rear left hand fender has its head is pointing away from the body. Alkett fire extinguishers pointed inwards, however this changed 09/44 when the extinguisher was moved inline and closer to the body

It’s far more accurate than the Tamiya Kit and its build date is March 1943

Correct bits for a Miag StuG March 1943 build

Interlocked welds on the superstructure

Correct welds on the engine deck

Smoke canisters: Feb – May 1943

30mm bolted on additional armour covering the driver’s visor: March 1943 onwards

Roof has the correct design and screw fixings: Feb to May 1943

Fire extinguishers position

Fender supports

Lacks the side skirt brackets, April 43

However you could build it as a later G by adding

The brackets for the side skirts which were added in April 43

You could add a towing pintle on to the fan drive belt adjuster cover on the lower rear hull as this was added in Feb 43 but it was not always fitted

Or you could build it as a early StuH, be aware all StuH were built at Alkett

The howitzer metal barrel is readily available

Move the fire extinguisher so the head points in towards the body

Alter the fender support brackets

Problems

Wrong rear convoy lamp, kit comes with the rectangular one ok for StuG G hybrids, built on ready made Pz 111 hulls.

Should have the tubular lamp: Feb 1943 onwards

Instructions say to mount the two towing S hooks on top of each other and then fitted to one fender. This is wrong; they should be mounted separately on the left and right fenders.

And now for the kit, the most of the sprues are from the Pz 111 M, so interested to see after a fair bit of complaints about the fit and moulding if Takom have done anything???
Takom Stug 001.JPG
Takom Stug 003.JPG
Takom Stug 004.JPG
Takom Stug 002.JPG

Its a StuG, whats not to luv :cool::tongue-out3::thumb2:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beats me how you guys manage to dig up all this information! Not just you Bob, there's lots of you out there with encyclopedic knowledge of a range of subjects. How come the manufacturers can't find it? I appreciate that sometimes they will make decisions based on other factors such as cost or mould difficulties, but things like the placing of a fire extinguisher shouldn't be a problem!

PS Edit: NO! I can't do it. It should be encyclopaedic! I feel better now.:smiling:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I am one old sad git:tongue-out: its a hobby for me, just read a lot. Being a truck tech then teaching it helps, use to reading about truck stuff to learn

I pick a photo then test my knowledge by trying to work out, ausf, month and year etc. Now time for tablets!

Takom just being lazy by using the same bits from the Pz 111 M. But as you say its not rocket science

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I am one old sad git:tongue-out: its a hobby for me, just read a lot. Being a truck tech then teaching it helps, use to reading about truck stuff to learn

I pick a photo then test my knowledge by trying to work out, ausf, month and year etc. Now time for tablets!

Takom just being lazy by using the same bits from the Pz 111 M. But as you say its not rocket science
COUNT ME IN AS WELL Bob MAY NOT KNOW MUCH about these stugs but i know they are a tank killer so thats a start
chris

• Haha
Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well done Chris, 10 out of 10, getting there ;)

Next is a 5 hr exam:flushed:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I'm not free but I'm very cheap!

PS I don't think Mr Humphries was cheap - just desperate!

PPS See? I AM that old!
Excellent lol

2 old gits ;);) even know his name, well done sir heard he was a x paratrooper! Honest:thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Bob

I'm in shock. This is actually a genuine Stug!! Never thought I'd see the day when you built one of these!!!

ATB

Andrew

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Bob

Does it pass the wheel alignment test?

Or are they the same off centre ones you had before?

Another Stug, why not LOL

Have fun

Regards

Steve H

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
I'm sure you'll make a real hash of this one !! :flushed: :smiling2::smiling5:

Mr Cuthbert would like to know if a "Stug" was ever developed using different chassis??
(He's currently stuck in the lift with Captain Peackock & Mrs Slocom ;)).

Clearing out the man cave - I came across some leftover sprue's from Dragon's 6226
Bergepanzer Tiger "P" and one of the pieces is definitely "Stug" shaped !! ;)

Paul.
:smiling2: