Andrew's 1/100 Revell UH-1H Gunship

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

So here is my submission, albeit it might be a week or two before I get started as I want to get my house finished.

I have to say a big thanks again to Andy aka The Smythe Meister for sending me this kit for gratis last May - although it may be something of a double edged sword ;) ........

.........because it meant I had no excuse not to join in with the GB and yet it's my first helicopter and it's the smallest scale kit I have built since coming back to the hobby.....

.....what can possibly go wrong I ask you!????! ;):smiling5:

So according to Scalemates this is a 2016 re boxing of their 1994 release. The kit is still in the plastic as I don't want to lose any parts but it looks ok to my eye....not that I know what I'm looking at!! :tired::tired:

The kit comes with one set of markings for a chopper (is that an acceptable word in the modelling fraternity??) from the 2nd Second Platoon aka "Wasps" of the 116th Assault Helicopter Company aka "Hornets".

This is certainly the first 'original' Revell' kit I have built since coming back to the hobby - my Pak 40s excluded as they were originally Italeri moulds - and the manual looks very nice at first review but time will tell.

Anyway enough waffle from me.....the usual pictures are below.

ATB

Andrew

---------------------------------------------

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wokka wokka or what :thumb2:
Possibly THE sound of the nam…along with Jefferson Airplane of course….good luck Andrew.
Indeed and thanks!!!!

Alternative soundtrack could be the rotor sound over the Doors This is the End at the start of Apocalypse Now....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
What no stencilling on the decal sheet! LOL
That is a bit of an odd scale 1/100...Or is it just me missing the point again...
Ian

Thanks for dropping in.

I know shocking.....I shall be writing to Revell to complain!!! :smiling5:

Anyway back to sanity.....although I don't dabble with it myself, 1/100 aka 15mm is a popular wargaming scale.

I'm not sure how it got started but Flames of War and their ruleset is the one I have come across most often in this scale.

It was certainly the most common 15mm ruleset I saw in the free pre-covid annual wargaming exhibitions in our local shopping centre....as you can imagine with the kits being smaller you can get far more on an average sized table.

HTH.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
15mm/1:100 is a huge gaming scale with an enormous variety of figures and equipment available Ian. Anything you can think of is probably out there, along with a great many things you can’t think of….most rule sets can also be easily ported down to it by simply switching inches to cm. The figures are cheaper and quicker to paint, but you need more of them, so it’s not really a cost saving. I’ve dabbled in it over the years, but it’s not my favourite, simply because it lacks the impact of 28mm.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Looks a nice little kit. 70 parts on such a small kit should mean plenty of fiddly detail. Good or bad :rolling:
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Looks a nice little kit. 70 parts on such a small kit should mean plenty of fiddly detail. Good or bad :rolling:
Jim
Thanks Jim....70 parts indeed....I was somewhat surprised at how many parts when it arrived in the post from Andy last year....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good afternoon all

So I'm off on holiday for half-term with the kids and for a well deserved break, and so have started this now my Armourfast House is finished. I've made surprisingly speedy progress for me and now have the main sub assembles finished.

Given the scale and the age, to my extremely untrained eye at least, it's not a bad looking kit with a reasonable amount detail and has gone together pretty well - remember it is only 1/100**.

There were a couple of points where instructions weren't 100% clear and there been some very minor flash, and the odd fit issue that required a bit of fettling but the main problems were down to my clumsiness and not following the instructions properly on the gun and rocket pod mountings. Fortunately, for some reason and completely unnecessarily, the kit doubles up on the very parts I messed up - clearly they had me in mind!!!

You can have the doors open or shut but to make my life as easy as possible at the paint stage I'm going with buttoned up; besides there's not a lot to see inside in any case.

There are some very fine parts that I've left off for the time being and until it's buttoned up, as they're asking to be snapped off if fitted now. I'll brush paint the inside but probably AB the outside paint job.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

** Optivisor essential...... :tired: :crying: ;)

----------------------------------------

Sprue shots

Where I've got to so far
Junior was surprised at how big these were. Even at 1/100, it's quit a bit longer than his 1/72 Valentine - albeit I know it wasn't a very big tank. As you can see the rota blades are 14.5cm long.

A very loose dry fit.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is small but the detail looks OK. Also it seems to be building up quite well .

Enjoy your break and time together with the sprogs.