Andrew's 1/100 Revell UH-1H Gunship

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andy, interesting how all the "button" head rivets on the external fuselage are all missing their paint.....are you going to try to reproduce that as well? I do like the effect as it gives one an idea as to the lay out of the underlying structural members. I noticed you reproduced the different color door.....don't forget the access panel just below on the stbd. side;) :thumb2: Glad you and the Missus had a good time on your anniversary holiday. Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andy, interesting how all the "button" head rivets on the external fuselage are all missing their paint.....are you going to try to reproduce that as well? I do like the effect as it gives one an idea as to the lay out of the underlying structural members. I noticed you reproduced the different color door.....don't forget the access panel just below on the stbd. side;) :thumb2: Glad you and the Missus had a good time on your anniversary holiday. Rick H.
Morning Rick

You make a good point about the rivets....... I'd not noticed them missing on the kit, which shows you how much I know about this or any other 'copter.....as for doing THAT many rivets at 1/100...….err........NOPE!! That would be a road to modelling insanity..... :tired: :loudly-crying: :tired: I did think about doing the access panel but it's not moulded into the kit and so chickened out!!

I started doing the black bits last night, so more to follow later today hopefully.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry Ron!! No Wetherspoons for us this time around but we did have an EXCEPTIONAL Argentinian steak for our anniversary dinner!!! :smiling::smiling:

I will do do John....next time though I think it would be polite for you to at least say hello!! ;) :smiling5:
Sorry never speak with my mouth full of cake !

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

So everything is attached and the painting is finished .**

I've added a few more 'replacement' panels of a different colour in line with Ricks previous 'suggestion'.....the fact that most of these are in the same place as some touch-ups I had to do is pure coincidence. ;)

The drill you can see sticking out of the rota hub is to help it stay aligned whilst the glue dries.

Next up tomorrow morning a light coat of pre-decal gloss varnish. I'll be glad to see the back of the masking tape as it spoils the lines somewhat.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

**....at least it was until I noticed upon uploading the below pics that the black on the nose was not quite as opaque as it appeared to be but that was an easy fix.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Fiddly little thing.....I thought my chopper was small.....this makes mine look 1/48 scale!! ;)
Thanks Rick.... Not actually quite as bad as it looks.....all errors are mine.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So the painting stage is now finished.

The rotor blade decals wouldn't bend around the blade - thinking about it I should have just cut them in half. I therefore painted them on by hand. It looks ok and although there is a very small ridge and a tiny bit of bleed, you can only see it under the optivisor or the digital camera.

The rotor blade is now glued in place. The main rotor slots in nicely and rotates plus it comes out to make storage a bit easier.

Next up a a matt coat and that's it. The next time you see it, will be the finished version, minus the masks of course!

ACW as usual.

Andrew

The finished rotor blade:
A rogue thumb for scale comparison....

Ready for the matt coat
(not the best pic.....sorry)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Andrew, you think making rivets would drive you insane......Nah, you are already there buddy. Building a whoop-whoop in this scale and making it look so good is the reason why...I can only tip my hat to you Sir and wish I was 40 years younger. Then I would attempt to build such a tiny thang!!!..........

Prost auf Dich
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Damn Andrew, you think making rivets would drive you insane......Nah, you are already there buddy. Building a whoop-whoop in this scale and making it look so good is the reason why...I can only tip my hat to you Sir and wish I was 40 years younger. Then I would attempt to build such a tiny thang!!!..........

Prost auf Dich
Allen
Thanks Allen, much appreciated.

Despite my numerous mistakes I've really enjoyed it.

So much so I'd like to have to at doing it again properly...... Then it occurred to me I could do a 'slick' version simply by omitting the gun and rocket pods..... Plus the hog comes in two configurations.......and they also do an AH-1 Cobra at this scale too....

.... Did someone say slippery slope.....??!?!?! ;) ;) ;) :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5:

ATB.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Be like Nike Andrew, "Just Do It"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................It'll be great and while you're at it, maybe get some wrinkle cream for the fingers too!

I'll get me coat now.......................................................

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Deleted duplicate post....

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Be like Nike Andrew, "Just Do It"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................It'll be great and while you're at it, maybe get some wrinkle cream for the fingers too!

I'll get me coat now.......................................................

Prost
Allen
Allen,

Thanks for maligning my thumbs, I'll dig out some E45 cream!!! ;) :smiling5:. I personally I thought it looked distinguished!! :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5:

As for being the kits, that might be problematic in the short, medium and quite possibly the long term..... Keep an eye out on the latest acquisitions thread over the next few days.

ATB

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I managed to get the matt coat on last night, so the next pictures you will see will be of the finished article. Hopefully at the weekend.

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Reactions: JR