Andrew's 1/35 North Africa Vignette (SimonT Tribute GB)

D

Deleted member 7181

It's almost a shame to cover up that excellent etch work!

I still have nightmares about Vallejo primer but it looks to have gone on very nicely.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The paint looks good.

Paul - thanks very much.

It's almost a shame to cover up that excellent etch work!

I still have nightmares about Vallejo primer but it looks to have gone on very nicely.

Andy - Thanks for the compliment. It's funny I've heard many people say the same but once I got the hang of it - general newbie AB issues as much as anything - I've never had any major problems.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So had an extra day off as I have a lot of leave to use before the end of March.

Got some pre-shading done. Not done it much before so still learning and probably a bit heavy in places.

This probably won't get worked upon until the weekend now. :sad:

ATB.

Andrew

50800205147_c005b021da_b.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andrew. Nice pre-shading. looking foward to the final paint job....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Always nice to get a coat of primer on. Nice looking preshade.
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Always nice to get a coat of primer on. Nice looking preshade.
Jim
Thanks Jim. And as you say nice to get that first coat on.

ATB.

Andrew

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Happy New Year Andy. Nice to see the wet stuff going on. Keep up the great work my friend

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Happy New Year Andy. Nice to see the wet stuff going on. Keep up the great work my friend
Steve, thank you and happy new year to you and yours too!

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's looking fine Andrew, far better then my latest effort.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all

So I've started to get the paint on.

I'm going with the official post-March 1941/pre-March 1942 as described HERE: base of yellow-brown (gelbbraun RAL 8000), covered one-third by gray-green (graugrün RAL 7008) - although how the second one is called grey-green I'll never know as it looks like a light/mid brown to me. Vallejo Model Air was used as usual.

As I've not done pre-shading before, I've done a few light passes and am now letting it dry to see how it comes out. I don't want to overwhelm the preshading, especially as I have to do the RAL 7008 patches on top. I can always add more paint but will not be able to take it off.

ACW as usual.

ATB.

Andrew

50817007361_60dfc58a38_b.jpg

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The pre-shade looks fine Andrew, it goes along the edges of panels, grilles & joints, a bit of shading round the edges & hubs on the wheels might be something to try, makes the wheels look less uniform when the top coat goes on.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andrew. Very nice updates looking very smart my friend

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The pre-shade looks fine Andrew, it goes along the edges of panels, grilles & joints, a bit of shading round the edges & hubs on the wheels might be something to try, makes the wheels look less uniform when the top coat goes on.

Hi Graeme

Indeed I should have thought of that - will remember to do it next time. Thanks for stopping by and the support.

Andrew

Andrew. Very nice updates looking very smart my friend

Thanks Lee. Much appreciated. More importantly, glad to hear you're slowly getting better.

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Pre-shade is a great effect and yours is looking good. I have tried it a few times but I usually obliterate it with a too heavy finger on the airbrush. I reckon my success rate is one out of five :rolling:
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andrew. Pre-shade is a worthwhile tool to have in your armoury of techniques. I did the green/grey, yellow brown scheme once, many years ago. I used Modelmaster enamel paint and when I’d finished I couldn’t tell them apart LOL....I’m sure yours will be better!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Pre-shade is a great effect and yours is looking good. I have tried it a few times but I usually obliterate it with a too heavy finger on the airbrush. I reckon my success rate is one out of five :rolling:
Jim

Thanks Jim and glad you like it. That's exactly why I took it slowly and left it looking deliberately dark, as I wasn't sure how it would look once the paint was dry.

Looking good Andrew. Pre-shade is a worthwhile tool to have in your armoury of techniques. I did the green/grey, yellow brown scheme once, many years ago. I used Modelmaster enamel paint and when I’d finished I couldn’t tell them apart LOL....I’m sure yours will be better!

Thanks Si and I know exactly what you mean - as you'll see from the pictures below. Whether or not mine will look any better we'll have to see!!

Thanks again and all the best.

Yours

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So the top coat RAL 7008 was applied yesterday, how they can call it grey/green I'll never know - more of a light brown. As the rules stated you could paint some of the wheels etc. entirely in 7008, I've done half of them in that coat and will mix it up when I stick them on.

I've tried to make it come out as much as I can in the shots below but it looks more like shadowing than brown. I've also probably done about 50% not the half so I might go back over some if it next weekend in the lighter colour. I'll also try and get some better pics outside with the digital SLR to try and get some better shots.

ACW as usual ATB.

Andrew

50824858786_ac26c358bf_b.jpg

50824858886_c6889178c1_b.jpg

50824112138_ef128e627c_b.jpg