Andy's 1/35 Tamiya Stug B

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

After a bit more paint I've started to add the tools & other gubbins. I've also put the decals on, but some splintered into oblivion so I've masked and sprayed a few of the easier ones, like the white corners on the track guards.

pUiPQIe.jpg

lWDYZFb.jpg

I had to mask & spray this cross too. I think I actually prefer the slightly rough & ready look rather than pristine decals. I may do it more often. There was a 13 decal to the right of it which I had to scrub off then quickly respray the area as it had stripped some paint. I wasn't quite up to masking that out, but might look out for some stencils for future use. Suggestions on where I might find those would be appreciated. I ordered some from Wish but they were mahoosive, only useful if I start doing 1/6 scale kits or similar :smiling5:

wvoNs5c.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks everyone, glad you like it :smiling3:

I had a bit of a lightbulb moment too. With plenty of other numbers on the decal sheet I could graft a 13 together.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I wasn't quite up to masking that out, but might look out for some stencils for future use. Suggestions on where I might find those would be appreciated.
If you can find a suitable typeface (“font”) on your computer, you can print it out at the right size and then cut it from the paper with a sharp knife. Alternatively, if you have a scanner you can scan the decal (assuming you’ve got a usable spare, of course) and print that out. Though with a white marking, of course, you may have to invert it or otherwise tinker with colours first before you’ll be able to see it on the printer paper :smiling3:

Edit: I remembered after posting this that I had posted a guide about this a while ago. Though that’s mainly concerned with reverse-masking, it also works for a mask to spray through, of course.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve, I was hoping you'd reply as I saw you using stencils but had difficulty finding them.

Jakko, I remember reading your guide a while ago thanks, but with no (working) printer it's not something I can do at the moment. I have a mate that prints his own waterslide decals so that's always an option, or one of those silhouette cameo cutters to make my own stencils if I win the lottery!

I've managed to hack up a 14 & 33 to give me the numbers I need for now.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Scratchy,

I'm a bit behind, but it is nice to see this back on the bench Sir. I have missed a couple of other things you have been doing too. I have to go back and catch up as your work just keeps getting better and better. I don't where you get all the time to do the great things you do Andy.....Take care.

Bleib Gesund
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Allen!

Yes, I'm dotting between a couple of things at the moment. My job gives me lots of time off between the long shifts and I always need to be doing something, so I keep starting new builds, I just need to get around to finishing a few lol. Being locked down at home should give me the push I need.

• Haha

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Have you used these Mr T because I found my set to be quite poor??

• Sad

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Have you used these Mr T because I found my set to be quite poor??
I have pretty much all the sets that they do - only used the odd one or two so far

What i have used seemed to work once i got the paint consistency right

What was poor about yours?

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I have pretty much all the sets that they do - only used the odd one or two so far

What i have used seemed to work once i got the paint consistency right

What was poor about yours?

I found the metal too flimsy and difficult to fix flush to the surface causing the paint to go underneath the stencil

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy,
It`s been said before,but....... cracking job there,i especially like the effect you get with the tools:thumb2::thumb2:,
All round it`s a great result so far,nice one.
Cheers,
Andy

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Maybe the apprentice had trouble striking an arc to start:hungry:. Great job all around. PaulE

• Haha
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andy and Paul.

The close ups reveal plenty of mould lines on the tools that I've struggled to clean up, but they are mostly painted with AK3 acrylics, and have had a few different Citadel washes on them. Further down the line they'll be getting more work with oils.

D

Deleted member 7181

So I took a deep breath and had a go at a well worn winter camo job.

Hairspray, paint, chip, hairspray, paint, chip, then dusted on a super light coat in a few areas to blend it in a bit.

0OIbdRQ.jpg

7TvILGp.jpg

tCUyz8g.jpg

My first real go at this so kinda happy with it but will probably play around some more until I ruin it :smiling5:

Any pointers more than welcome.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Andy.
Look good to me, :thumb2: I would leave it alone as there is no hard and fast rule as to what it should look like. In real life the finish would change from day to day as the weather and movement occurred.