Another First - 1/35 CH2 TES.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Genera modern Army question.
5 gallon fuel cans, are they generally green on colour?
5 gallon water cans were always black, is that still the case?

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
As far as I can remember yeah ,
although I'll bet somebody has more up to date info..

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
As far as I can remember yeah ,
although I'll bet somebody has more up to date info..
Thanks Chris. Nothing has changed then!
I ask as I'm at that part of the build I need to decide to fit then into place!! BUT, If I do, then it will be difficult if not impossible when I come to paint the hull later. So at the moment, I will build the frame and fix in place, then, once the hull is painted, place the correctly coloured cans in the frame!!
That's the plan today!! Things may change!!
I'm starting to write notes now in the instructions to remind me of my future intentions!!! (I think it's an age thing)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Chances are there’s also tan/sand-coloured ones, but really modern (> 1990s) stuff isn’t really my thing so I could be wrong.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Chances are there’s also tan/sand-coloured ones, but really modern (> 1990s) stuff isn’t really my thing so I could be wrong.
Good reminder, I remember seeing sand coloured cans on Jackals now you mention it!!
(Which gets me thinking - I fancy a crack at a Jackal kit if the beast exists) Google time!!!!! :thumb2:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Bit more progress today as mini-pooch was still knackered from a long walk yesterday.

Fit the suspension bits, road wheel axles and some minor parts. The time consuming bit is filing off the bits of sprue.

I'm guessing now might be the time to start painting the hull as most of the main parts are in place now.

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

Next step(s). Road wheels and the dreaded tracks. Methinks I may be working on the tracks for a little while!!!
IMG_0756.JPG

As this is my first piece of armour, any hints or tips or comments at this stage would be most appreciated!!! I thank you - in my best Arthur Askey voice!! :rolling:

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The time consuming bit is filing off the bits of sprue.
Cutting them off with a knife is much quicker :smiling3:

I'm guessing now might be the time to start painting the hull as most of the main parts are in place now
Personally, I would wait until the model is finished, but leave off the wheels and tracks, plus everything that gets in the way of fitting them (like the side skirts). Build those separately and paint them together with the rest of the model, then fit the wheels and tracks; after that, hold the side skirts against the model and see where you need to glue them, then scrape the paint off in those areas. After glueing the skirts on, you may need to touch up the paint a little.

the dreaded tracks. Methinks I may be working on the tracks for a little while!!!
(…)
any hints or tips or comments at this stage would be most appreciated!!!
Tip 1: Build the tracks while you work on the rest of the model, not after. That is: clean up some track parts, do a little work on the rest of the suspension, build some links, add more parts to the turret, etc. This keeps you from getting too bored with the tedious work on the tracks.

Tip 2: When you remove and clean up the track parts from the sprues, sort them into different containers so you can keep the parts straight. Like this:

unadjustednonraw_thumb_65b0-jpg.416629

Those are the parts for another Rye Field Model set of tracks, this time for a Sherman — see my review of the set, it probably has a few more tips you can use for your model.

Tip 3: Don’t bother building two full tracks. Your model will have skirts covering almost the whole of the top run, so any effort spent on that part of the track is entirely wasted. Much simpler to just put enough links together for the part you can actually see, plus a few extra, and then either glue them over the idler wheel and drive sprocket, or tie the ends together with thread so you can pull the track tight around the wheels.

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
@Jakko.

Took your advice, on a minor scale, segregated the parts to the track, then worked on small section until eyes or coordination started failing!!
Started on the upper deck section then thunder and lightening struck. Rain stopped play!!

Track progress!!
IMG_0758.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like it’s going well. You probably don’t need that many jigs stuck together, but if it works, it works :smiling3: Workable tracks are usually a lot of effort to put together, but I like the way they will fit around the wheels realistically, yet can be painted separately from the rest of the model and then installed easily.

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I'm adrift... I'll get me cap!

Doug, this is looking good mate, didn't know WAFUs had a thing for tracks?!
Got to love the Chally!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I recall fuel containers always green, plastic water containers either green or black. Possible that sand-coloured containers exist now!
Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The mere mention of tracks sends me into a blind panic Doug. Hope you do better than me .