BarryW's Hawker Typhoon Airfix 1:24

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ian - would they be like that on the ground, rather than just drooped as I have done them?

Vaughan - many thanks for this

I found a similar picture that was a lot less clear than the one you found.

It seems to me that the lead goes from the middle of the rocket to a socket on the rail but I just cannot make out where it fits on the rail - perhaps a little creative interpretation there. Also just thought that lead wire might work better than stretched sprue.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Further to above - thanks Ian

Having had another look at photos I can only see one pic of the aircraft with drooped ailerons and on that I could only make out one wing... consequently I will play safe and refix them straight. I had concerns anyway about them drooping a bit too much.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You can pose your model with one aileron up and one down (as Ian pointed out) but at 1/24 scale I would then push the control column over the relevant way. Parked aircraft often had control locks fitted (don't know about the Typhoon specifically) which would tend to centre the controls.

Flaps were usually retracted after landing to prevent damage during taxying, particularly on 'unmade' airfields.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Ian - would they be like that on the ground, rather than just drooped as I have done them?Vaughan - many thanks for this

I found a similar picture that was a lot less clear than the one you found.

It seems to me that the lead goes from the middle of the rocket to a socket on the rail but I just cannot make out where it fits on the rail - perhaps a little creative interpretation there. Also just thought that lead wire might work better than stretched sprue.
The lead for the rockets was left disconnected and hanging down when the aircraft was parked.I believe they were only connected at the last minute as there were incidents where rockets fired off with no one near the aircraft.So you could connect one end to the rocket and leave the other hanging down.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The lead for the rockets was left disconnected and hanging down when the aircraft was parked.I believe they were only connected at the last minute....So you could connect one end to the rocket and leave the other hanging down.
Like this:

View attachment 99129

Cheers

Steve

Hawker-Typhoon-Armed_zpskzcblkcl.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
View attachment 99188

I have just finished for the weekend and will return to the model Monday evening. As you can see the canopy is masked ready. I am also working on the rockets still with Mr Surfacer 500 and Mr Dissolved Putty.
The main job today was to prime the aircraft. I decided to use Vallejo Black Primer as this will eventually be part of my preshading process. As it is such a big model I did it in two stages a couple of hours apart, bottom first. My initial impression is that there will not be many flaws to treat. Amazing, even around where I did most sanding and rescribing I could see no issues. I won't know for sure until Monday after it has cured, when I will take a closer look. So far so good.

View attachment 99189

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks kinda mean in black....

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely work so far Barry. It does look mean in that black coat, but it's looking more like a Typhoon now.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ian and Joe - if only there was a night-fighter version becaise you are right, black really suits it.... Maybe a 'what if' project one day perhaps....

Anyway I had a good look before coming to work and I am happy to report that there is very little work to do correcting flaws. I have two very small spots where I need to apply a bit of filler and two small areas where they need a little more rubbing down. I am actually amazed after those fit issue how few problems I have now I can see it under the primer. Even around the panels where I did a lot of sanding, not to mention the plastic card 'fillet', it looks spot on and the rescribing blends in nicely to the molded detail.

I have the rockets to finish off over the next few days as well and then I will be ready to start the paint job by the end of the week. It will be a longer than usual process to paint and weather this one given that I will be painting in a lot of the markings rather than using the decals.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Been watching this one from the sidelines Barry, amazing job so far. Its a very impressive looking kit and you're doing a superb job , great build log too , very useful reference for anyone building this kit . keep up the great work, looking forward to the paint going on , cheers tony

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well they were the quickest and easiest flaw correcting sessions i have ever had. A couple of spots of filler, a sanding in a few places plus a very light overall sanding then a final thin coat of black primer and it is done. I will leave the model a couple of days to cure and will do a spot of detail painting on the subassemblies in the meantime.

Here is how the currently black beauty looks now with all that glorious surface detail on place.

View attachment 99621

Here is a shot of the primed sub assemblies

View attachment 99622

The pins onto which you fit the wheel legs had to be fitted early on and are quite vulnerable. The inevitable happened and one has broken. I cannot find the pin anywhere. There is still a stub on which I will be able to glue the leg and it will fit in/around the leg but it will not be as strong.

View attachment 99624

Anyway in a couple of days I will mask up around the wheel wells and paint/weather them before masking them with the 'wheels up' well doors before preshading overall with grey primer.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
The lead for the rockets was left disconnected and hanging down when the aircraft was parked.I believe they were only connected at the last minute as there were incidents where rockets fired off with no one near the aircraft.
So this explains why the armourer / rigger is at arm's length connecting the rockets up. He obviously knows something.

Great progress Barry, she does look good in black !

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking good, could you drill out both sides of the join and glue a pin in to strengthen the joint?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
So this explains why the armourer / rigger is at arm's length connecting the rockets up. He obviously knows something.
Too bleedin' right! Working on jets with ejection seats used to put the wind up me with all those safety pins and explosives everywhere. Give me rotor blades and 3000psi hydraulics systems any day.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
She is looking magnificent in that black coat Colin - in fact the finish is now good enough to take a natural metal finish if one was appropriate. There may have been a few build issues but they were not really a problem and all easily dealt with even though Airfix really need to up their game with manufacturing standards on these large scale kits.

As for the wheel leg. I have managed to find the broken bit and will be able to re-fit with a metal pin as Dave suggests to give it strength.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sit Rep time

The model all primed is like a blank canvas awaiting paint and weathering. I am leaving it a few days to fully cure while doing a bit of painting and weathering of some sub assemblies. Photos will be posted in a couple of days.

Here is the aircraft I am building

View attachment 99830

It is one of the kit options and was flown by Wing Commander Charles Green when leading the first rocket attack on the D Day beaches. He flew 33 sorties in this aircraft.

It was more neatly painted than most and I expect was kept a bit cleaner too as the CO mount. I will also make the weathering slightly lighter than I would normally as a result.

I will be using AK Interactive Air series paints and weathering products. Some paint will be Vallejo Model Air. In a way this will be a bit of a review of these AK new products.

I will also be using Miracle paint masks including for the roundels and tail flash as well as the D Day stripes and camo. I just think the painted on marking will look so much better in this scale. Some decals will be used from the kit for the stencilling and codes. If anyone can point me towards a source of masks for the main codes I would be grateful.

That is it for now. I will be starting with the wheel wells by Saturday I expect.

image.jpg