Battle of Britain diorama

• Thread starter Airfix Modeller Freak
  • Start date
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I'm starting a BoB Diorama. I've been making this and I've been thinking of getting an Aircraft control tower by Airfix. Someone said the paint scheme was not suitable for the BoB. So what should I use for the scheme????? Or even should I not get this t all?

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I've also used a Raf Battle of Britain Airfield set to this Diorama.

1275GT

For what it's worth, I wouldn't use the control tower for your diorama. I may be wrong, but I think generally aircraft never really went anywhere near the tower, so to me, depicting one near it would look a bit odd.

If you check out a company called Flightpath, they do a range of mainly PE accessories, including dispersal huts and equipment. Might be of some interest to you.

Cheers, Neil

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Thanks for the feed back. What about the airfield accessories that airfix makes such as the Emergency set, the refuelling set, the refuelling set etc???

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Also, I have completed making a hangar out of corrugated cardboard to give that corrugated iron look.

I also created my own grass by mixing green paint with sand and then baking it creating green colored sand.

This imitates the grass very well and at a low cost.

Additionally I am going to build a Raf Battle of Britain Airfield set to go with it.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I also bought some Javis Railway medow scatter to go with it. I have about four packs from E-bay. They actually were in new condition and were at a good price.

With the blast pen with the Airfix Battle of Britain Airfield set that I bought, I moulded wet tissue into the cast then let it dry on a piece of thin, creating another blast pen.

I smeared PVA glue all over it so the molded tissues would stay in place.

I then smeared a new coating of PVA on it once it had dried, then scattered some fake grass on it then the blast pen had been completed.

The only disadvantage was that it was quite heavy and a notch smaller than the original blast pen plastic cast from the Airfix Battle of Britain Airfield set.

B

batcode

hi not sure if know this but flightpath do a line of ww2 buildings airfield bits etc in 1/72 and 1/48 ive had few bits from them and they aer well detailed etc if go tyhu there sitehttp://www.djparkins.com/index.html i found there service great i payed at dinnertime and still had items next day deffinatly worth a look at

First Name
Aaron
Great tip with the coloured sand.Thanks for that.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The sand also works for beaches coloring it a dull sort of yellow

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

With the Battle of Britain, was the Bedford QL Tanker used in that period?? Also what paint sheme should I use??

may sound stupid...

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I use sand, fine, sieved, course etc on my models and bases, gives a good texture, once dried I use spray paint as a sealer then sponge washes etc to finish it off.

The Spit and dio are looking good there John.

Si:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This should come in very handy for your dio:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/chit-chat/19209-looking-forward.html

Gern

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Were Nissen Huts used during the Battle of Britain on Airfields?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Were Nissen Huts used during the Battle of Britain on Airfields?
Yes they were.....They were used for accommodation, general storage and bomb stores.....The latter were usually covered with turf.

Ron