Battle of Britain diorama

• Thread starter Airfix Modeller Freak
  • Start date

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yep, the wing bubbles are fitted due to cannon being fitted, these will need to be sanded down.

Si:smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Ok, so how do I do that?? What is the best filler to use anyway? I have never used them, though I have noticed their presence

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi John, if you have a dremel or similar tool then gently sand off, or you could use some wet and dry sandpaper, if the bubble is concave I.E part of the moulding then you will need to add a thin piece of plastic as a filler and then use something Milliput or the like to fill in the void. If the bubble is a solid moulding, part of the wing moulding and the underside of the wing is smooth then just sand down, add a small bit of filler and then smooth off.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

What is the sort of filler that you use? cos' when I buy it I want to make the right choice

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I heard that milliput is like araldite and has to be mixed together. Is this true?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is true John, Milliput comes in two lengths and you just cut the amount you want from each and mix together. You should have ample time to mould it into your wings before it starts to harden. Once hard you can lightly sand down to the required smoothness.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, as an alternative there is Humbrol Model Filler.....It comes in a tube, ready to use - no mixing- and smells and looks like car body filler.

It's all I use.

It's great, dries in no time and is easily shaped and sanded.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Humbrol Plasto filler this is a adhesive and a filler, useful for scratches and joint lines, quick drying too around 2 hours, just use wet and dry sand paper to achieve the contour and smoothness. Around £5 for a 31ml tube, as Ron points out all ready mixed just apply.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I am making an E-shape vac form pen. It for the side of the runway

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I am making an E-shape vac form pen. It for the side of the runway
Are you making this from scratch John or is it a bought vac-form? This dio is going to be awesome when done.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

haha scratch. I have access to certain machines to make vaccum formed plastic. The real problem is making the actual mould, but it is working pretty well so far. Don't expect this to be finished by mid 2014.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The actual base is cardboard then based on chipboard which is under the cardboard to hold it up. This should be finished by end of 2014 hopefully provided I have enough time.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I have purchased 3 spitfires for this diorama plus I have a Spitfire Mk 5. Filling in the Cannons seemed to hard as they still had to be there but on a smaller scale. So I am just using the fuselage in the raf recovery set and maybe the wings if the cannon covers are not shown.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
haha scratch. I have access to certain machines to make vaccum formed plastic. The real problem is making the actual mould, but it is working pretty well so far. Don't expect this to be finished by mid 2014.
Hi John, this sounds like it is being a handful to produce, but should really transform the dio set once complete. Hope you do get it finished before mid 2014 lol.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Thinking of signs on the dio, People can scratch make them with photo etched brass or metal. How do you do this?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thinking of signs on the dio, People can scratch make them with photo etched brass or metal. How do you do this?
Hi John, firstly I found these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-In-Detail-1-72-WWII-US-Military-Signs-/360366711159?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item53e787a177 even though they're U.S the signs would work on your dio setting.

Right making photo-etched parts isn't really for the layman. You have to chemically etch the brass plate and items using various nasty chemicals, ferric chloride and the like. Two easier options are these: One, buy pre made 1/72 scale signs/decals, or two, print out some signs on paper, scale down to size you want. For posts and boards, just use cocktail sticks, cut down, and a lollipop stick as the back board with the sign pasted on. Of course you could use thin card for thinner signs.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Thanks for the site! it's given me some ideas on how to make some scratch built signs.