"Bendy Bus" VW Doka / 5th wheel camper kitbash

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Welcome all, and thanks. This seems to be drawing quite a crowd. No pressure lol

Allen - no firm colour scheme as yet, although it will be a "shiny" rather than rat & rusty looking. I do have some ideas though.

Ian - I did find a pick up version on Scalemates thanks but had trouble sourcing one. I even found a resin double cab body conversion for it, but I'm sure making my own will be more rewarding. If it turns out ok of course.

Pete - yes, that's very useful, and you can probably make out my sanding pattern from the picture which is similar. Back & forth to start, then turn 45°, then 90°. I still had trouble seeing what I was doing on the white plastic though.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
A’noon Andy,
excellent idea for a build....great start so far :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Si.

I had a couple more hours on this today as a break from digging trenches in the back garden, but it doesn't look a great deal different so no pictures.

Lots of tweaking, sanding and dry fitting to get thing in line before I commit to a big glue up.

D

Deleted member 7181

As expected, progress is slow on this but I'm fine with that. With so many pieces to modify, shape and glue into place I'd rather think it over well first. Plus I need to leave most joints to harden fully before I can move on, so that adds time.

I've finally figured out how to glue it together into a manageable "lump", while still being able to access the interior, chassis and engine bay for adding the details and later painting. I've had to cut off most of the locating tabs & pins to be able to separate the chassis, but now it's in some kind of shape I won't need them so much.

Lots of work has gone into this with not much to show so far, but here's a cross brace I added to support the new rear deck. I added some longitudinal "beams" across the top of this to support the deck, but didn't take a picture. Some inventive clamping was needed to stop it slipping out of place as it dried.

wddP77d.jpg

Then a piece of card was added for the deck. This will be level with the existing rear part once I've sanded it's detail off, and also slips underneath the upper rear panel and window area to support that. Up to now it's been very fragile and has broken a few times so it's nice to get it stiffened up. It's made from the upper rear quarters of the original van body moved forward, with the tailgate in between. I had to widen it a little to fit, which is what made it so weak. I know I should have put a shim in both sides to keep the window perfectly central but just the one has given me so much grief that I'm glad I didn't, and I'm hoping it's not too noticeable once finished.

I did get the heights pretty spot on to the deck though so all that planning must have paid off. There's a tiny gap visible under the curved corner, but I filled that with a thin shim of card. Most of the black line you see is marker pen ink dissolved by the glue.

azr5sEe.jpg

It looks a bit rough on the inside but I'll tidy that up as best I can given the limited access, and besides the rear seat hides most of it. Again, the van kit contains many spare parts that would be used on the Samba, including 2 full rear bench seats, one of which fits perfectly and matches the fronts. The gaps around the rear deck have been filled, and once dry it'll all be sanded flat, removing the ribbed details in the process. I still need to sort the 5th wheel bit out but I'll do that once I have the trailer chopped up and I know where to position it. This deck will then be trimmed with checker plate to finish it off.

H7Y5oco.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some excellent silkpursery on display here. A worthy project for sure. PaulE

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My kind of "cut and stitch", Now you're living Andy!
Rick H.

• Haha

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent work on display here. Bet you didn’t think you’d be doing something this good this time last year....

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the comments and likes all. Definitely not something I'd have seen myself doing a year ago Tim, but I'm still a very long way off so I won't get too cocky just yet, it could still end in disaster :smiling5:

I've been tempted to start on the trailer section as a more efficient use of my time - working on one while the other is drying, but I think I'll get a bit further down the line and see if it works out first. At least that way I'll only have wasted one kit. I've already been backwards and forwards a few times since it's all new to me, but it's a great way of learning new things.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John. Watch out for low bridges with that contraption! :smiling5:

• Haha

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It usually goes like that as well.......just remember what Frank Spenser said...”No man that never made nothing never made any mistakes”...with this type of work you really do have to suck it and see. After a while you will be able to solve most issues as they come up, or even avoid them all together.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic surgery andy , i really love builds like this. The discovery of problems along the way and finding how to get round them is really satisfying . Its looking great , keep at it mate , cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Scratchy,

Looks like you are really living up to the moniker I gave you Andy. This is premium work Sir!!!

Bleib Gesund
Allen

• Haha

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It's taking shape Andy...very well planned execution. This is gonna look good I'm sure with shine and chrome. One year ago who would have thought...hmmm :thinking:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks everyone!

I've been enjoying this so much and barrelling along so well that I forgot to take any pictures today! I'll try and catch up with that tomorrow but basically I've started on parts like the engine, seats and dashboard. Things that I can get done while the filler is drying on the body. I've also done a lot of re-scribing, like the door gaps, relocating the petrol flap etc., and spot primed a few areas to show up any imperfections (plenty, lol) ready for a final whip round with some putty tomorrow.

One head scratcher was how to recreate / relocate the cooling louvres which are in a completely different place on the pick up. I've ordered some 0.75mm quarter round strip from John, which (if I can cut & position it straight!) should do the trick.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovely scratch work Andy. The guys have said it all. Looks like you are having a lot of fun with this project. Keep it comin my friend